Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Brock McGinn

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I think people forget one aspect. When you need a driver or difference maker you pay the price, or at times overpay to get what you need. We have seen this dance before, and "that's" exactly what happen to get the job done. Like, today, they spent 4.5 on players who'll not be drivers of the bus, so that's 4.5 on players who need drivers to be affective. We only have so many drivers, and those drivers need help. I'd rather have blown that whole 4.5 on someone or more to get the job done and move on. They have plenty of fillers, fillers they are loaded with, they just added/signed 3 more.

It's easy to get fillers.

Just to be clear on difference makers, Hornqvist, Kessel, Bonino and Hagelin are just some names to throw out, and each one came with intangibles and all at different levels of those intangibles. I'll go with what people will consider the least of them all in, Hagelin. He wasn't this big time goal scorer or anything to that magnitude. What he was, was a guy with a lot of speed, defensive awareness and just enough offense, but most of all, was his experience. Playing deep into playoffs played right into what the Pens were building for. Not a high end guy, but he was a difference maker.

We all know what the difference from Neal to Hornqvist was, Sutter to Bonino and Kessel was the cherry to all milkshakes. If one of Sid or Geno went down it wasn't the devastation it was in years past. Carter may have a little of that left in the tank, but the Pens depth is still short to be at that level of getting by. The Pens had drivers for each line at different levels of capability.

After a long winded response, fix it right the first time and stop taking the cheap route circle of madness....
I don't really believe in that school of thought, at least during the regular season. I believe in balance, and raising the average ability of every player. That's how we won the division last year. It's about fewer guys taking nights off consistently.
Got contributions from so many guys. So many career scoring rates. Bottom 6 was strong throughout. The defense chipped in a ton. Got it done despite average goaltending.

I don't consider McGinn a filler. We needed the help with the PK, which caused us to lose points last year. He's excellent at it. Adding a guy with a little moxie definitely doesn't hurt either, the way we get pushed around.

I agree more with what you're talking about in regards to the playoffs, when it's harder to score and you need to rely more heavily on specific individuals. We didn't really have those standout guys besides Carter and Letang, so we lost.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Can I say how much I love having Hextall as GM.

JR did us a solid by walking away. It just was a couple of years later than I wish he had.
Please explain how we are any better than last week. Hextall has done nothing to solve our biggest issues yet. He still has time obviously, but can we stop glorifying Hextall until he does something to make the team better?

Let’s hope he isn’t satisfied with the current roster. He’s more or less played musical chairs with our bottom six, and we are likely worse than a week ago.

Last edited:

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Please explain how we are any better than last week. Hextall has done nothing to solve our biggest issues yet. He still has time obviously, but can we stop glorifying Hextall until he does something to make the team better?

Let’s hope he isn’t satisfied with the current roster. He’s more or less played musical chairs with our bottom six, and we are likely worse than a week ago.

Lol. You should probably get some air. Go for a walk.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

We are better than last week because we added McGinn and previously had just lost McCann and Tanev.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Who are you even arguing with to come up with stuff like the bolded?

Most fans: "Solid pickup by Hextall. McGinn should bring some of what we need"

You: "OMG Why are you guys demanding they build a statue of Hextall?!"

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah. I’m not happy to see Simon again.

Although it likely means Rust could be moved off L1.

None of that is good.

None of it. Even with Rust off the 1st line, it means it's another re-hash with a new GM doing the same old thing because of the same coach. We got Sheary back and he was tried with Sid (and Zucker). I mean, mate, come on, we gotta grow from this shit.

Also, while Geno is out, we probably need GCR to do their regular season shtick, it's when the playoffs start they're flaccid af.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I mean... I guess it was better than TK's shooting strategy which seemed to be "Shit man ONE of these times Imma put that sumbitch straight through the goaltender's chest... you'll see! You'll ALL see!"

But no for real there is no worse NHL shot than Simon. At least at forward. That I'M aware of.
The most muffin like shot in the entire league.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
None of that is good.

None of it. Even with Rust off the 1st line, it means it's another re-hash with a new GM doing the same old thing because of the same coach. We got Sheary back and he was tried with Sid (and Zucker). I mean, mate, come on, we gotta grow from this shit.

Also, while Geno is out, we probably need GCR to do their regular season shtick, it's when the playoffs start they're flaccid af.

Speaking of flaccid...

Hextall is doing exactly what I thought, I just figured he'd get one dude with size who could push back just a little.

We better hope the league starts calling penalties because we have got the be the softest team in the league. Erod literally hurt himself trying to hit someone...

Reactions: Pens x

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't even care to bring him back. Just wait one offseason and sign him to a career ending cheaper contract.

Not if you can unload some contracts with him, that's probably the thinking and I think Hextall recently telling some sources that he wants to stick with Jarry and CDS is him playing the long con with Bowman. The longer Fleury says yeah it ain't happeing, the quicker Bowman will panic because the goalies are mostly off the board at this stage and it means he will need to now find a new home for Fleury while also getting a new goalie via trade because he clearly got MAF because he isn't sure about Lankinen, Subban, and Delia.

Chicago can still nab a UFA like:

Nilsson
McElhinney
Dubnyk
Rask, lol.

Chicago needs someone reliable to help Lankinen, I would sell them on DeSmith and some other garbage we want to dump and maybe just not get retention.

Fleury + Leafs 3rd 2022 to Pittsburgh = 7,000,000
DeSmith, Pettersson, and Lafferty = 6, 025,000

Maybe you get them to eat at best, 10%.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Speaking of flaccid...

Hextall is doing exactly what I thought, I just figured he'd get one dude with size who could push back just a little.

We better hope the league starts calling penalties because we have got the be the softest team in the league. Erod literally hurt himself trying to hit someone...

We didn't improve much at all from what we lost.

While I didn't like him, he served a purpose in Ceci, but also Tanev and McCann. McGinn replaces some of what Tanev brought at lesser speeds, but we got Fedun to basically replace Trotman/Ceci I guess? Then there's no replacement for McCann so far. This team has a GM that is very patient, but he's also one that seems to shy from making big trades for the most part. He plays it very safe, which can be great but also...could waste time.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Good addition, after seeing all this crazy contracts dish out yesterday I'm quite happy that GMRH didn't do something stupid and stick to the his plan.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
"A bowl is most useful when it is empty."-Lao Tzu

My appreciation for Hextall when measured against JR, and saying that JR left 2 or 3 years later than I wish he had, is less about what Hextall has done and more about what he has not done.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The only reason to be up in arms over Hextall's GMing to this point is if you have unreasonable expectations regarding this team's current standing. We're not a Cup competitor anymore, I don't give a shit if we outshot the Isles in round 1 or won a division that wasn't anything close to as brutal as all the talking heads made it out to be before the season. :laugh: It's pretty clear by the hiring of Hextall that Mario realizes the "go all in for the Cup at all costs" days are over, and while we may not actually be there yet, we will be very soon. You don't hire a guy for 2 years of wild GMing in a vain attempt to fix things, only to f*** up your future even more and have to hire another GM for the rebuild.

You'll save yourself a whole lot of grief if you realize and accept that the era is coming to a close and it makes no sense to make drastic moves to try and add big name, big money guys anymore. Let the big three play it out and start the firesale whenever one or more of them hang 'em up. We got our Cups. This core was more successful than a team that had Mario and Jagr. Time for the next chapter is rapidly approaching.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
The only reason to be up in arms over Hextall's GMing to this point is if you have unreasonable expectations regarding this team's current standing. We're not a Cup competitor anymore, I don't give a shit if we outshot the Isles in round 1 or won a division that wasn't anything close to as brutal as all the talking heads made it out to be before the season. :laugh: It's pretty clear by the hiring of Hextall that Mario realizes the "go all in for the Cup at all costs" days are over, and while we may not actually be there yet, we will be very soon. You don't hire a guy for 2 years of wild GMing in a vain attempt to fix things, only to f*** up your future even more and have to hire another GM for the rebuild.

You'll save yourself a whole lot of grief if you realize and accept that the era is coming to a close and it makes no sense to make drastic moves to try and add big name, big money guys anymore. Let the big three play it out and start the firesale whenever one or more of them hang 'em up. We got our Cups. This core was more successful than a team that had Mario and Jagr. Time for the next chapter is rapidly approaching.

Can't say it any better than this

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

I hate hearing that we should accept a crappy team because Mario made a poor GM hire. We were in 5th place when sleepy was hired; maybe ownership felt the rebuild should start sooner than later. But then they win the division. However, we are still stuck with this turd GM that is known for being overly conservative and not the guy to retool.

If ownership wants to hold off on a full rebuild then sleepy needs to adapt. Starting the season with Jarry and DeSmith would be unacceptable.

Last edited:

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Are you referencing Hextall, or JR who f***ed the team over giving Hextall bad options?
Why do I feel like JR will be the crutch for Hextall’s failures? Every time Hextall fails to do something, the masses will give him a pass until he’s fired.

Many of the people blaming JR likely defended these contracts at one time.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Listen, if you're bent out of shape because this team isn't doing enough, that's on you. This team's been a pretender, it's sucked, for years. Before Hextall took over, and then guy known for patience (probably to a fault) inherited a mess.

Either you get it or you don't. Up to you, really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad