Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Brock McGinn

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
McGinn will probably be getting about 14 minutes a night when everyone is healthy, similar to what Tanev got last year. I don't think his usage is going to drop off to a degree where we need to think his production will start lagging.

Right. But those are certainly going to be a different kind of minutes. So I'm not gonna put the same pressure on the offensive side of those minutes. His/their usage will be different when Sid is back. The sexy minutes will be used up more.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
McGinn is already averaging more time than Zucker at all strengths and 5v5.

Elevated role. So I don't expect it to be the case as things move forward. Let's also take that his line isn't exactly been all that great, serviceable, with E-Rod centering them. It's literally taking the smallest of sample sizes and arguing it's a set parameter to fallow.

Come at me with that around mid season.:thumbu:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Elevated role. So I don't expect it to be the case as things move forward. Let's also take that his line isn't exactly been all that great, serviceable, with E-Rod centering them. It's literally taking the smallest of sample sizes and arguing it's a set parameter to fallow.

Come at me with that around mid season.:thumbu:

He seems like he is playing the exact type of minutes with the exact line mates that he will be when this roster is healthy.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I guess that is fair. I dunno. I think McGinn is going to be on the second or third line potentially when we are fully healthy.

See, I think McGinn is landlocked with TB and ZAR (coaching preference), totally possible to be the 3rd line, 2nd not so much.

The amount of injuries it would take to carve out a 2nd line permanent job is staggering or stacked against him. That's where Heinen, though signed for less, has higher upside. If they wouldn't let Tanev carve out a top six role, why would they with McGinn? Maybe had he scored 3-1 instead of 1-3 I could see your case for it. Top six ability and role player are two totally different kind of players.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
See, I think McGinn is landlocked with TB and ZAR (coaching preference), totally possible to be the 3rd line, 2nd not so much.

The amount of injuries it would take to carve out a 2nd line permanent job is staggering or stacked against him. That's where Heinen, though signed for less, has higher upside. If they wouldn't let Tanev carve out a top six role, why would they with McGinn? Maybe had he scored 3-1 instead of 1-3 I could see your case for it. Top six ability and role player are two totally different kind of players.

McGinn played with Aho more than anyone else last season. I think that is the difference between our evaluations of the player.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
McGinn played with Aho more than anyone else last season. I think that is the difference between our evaluations of the player.

Yes. But injuries or depth there isn't the same here on the Pens. The difference is the teams are not the same. His usage there seemed like a smaller sample size, along with his production.

This is very much where that seems like the focus and is "not" the norm.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
What’s the difference? Carolina had a deeper forward group?

Deeper? No.

The difference really is he only played 37 games, and had a brief minimal spike in scoring for what? 10 games... (7 goals/4 assists) Why does that protract him to being a top six winger? The rest of the 27 games he had 1-1 for two points.

I'm just not gonna buy into that. I believe this stuff has been discussed before. We really need to stop with this smaller sample size stuff with shorten seasons and anything to prop a player up whom doesn't have a history of doing such things. We saw this stuff in a shorten season years back where players were above the norm. Even Dupuis. Doesn't really make them true top six players.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
What a fall for this player. Was legit good in CAR, and as someone who saw a lot of live Pens game in fall ‘21.. he looked great. Crazy.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Hey weird another guy that was "great" elsewhere and largely ass when he hit this roster.

P.S. -- STOP PAYING FOR OTHER TEAMS' THIRD LINERS.
But dude this third liner is awesome! He brings what our third liners don't have (I watched one of this games and he did something good on a shift, I know hockey Kay!)

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
But dude this third liner is awesome! He brings what our third liners don't have (I watched one of this games and he did something good on a shift, I know hockey Kay!)

Every f***in' year with this fanbase, man. Like clockwork.

"Oh man our depth lines would be baller if we added just ONE MORE overpaid 3/4 line guy!"

Womp womp.

EDIT: Also evidently I was happy with this signing at the time so I'm a dumbass, too.

Last edited:

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
My professional scoring report of Brock McGinn: He’s a crappy at hockey. However, once every 3 or 4 weeks he will snipe a shot from a stupid angle and make you think he is good at hockey. It’s a ruse. Don’t fall for it.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad