Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Brock McGinn

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Listen, if you're bent out of shape because this team isn't doing enough, that's on you. This team's been a pretender, it's sucked, for years. Before Hextall took over, and a guy known for patience (probably to a fault) inherited a mess.

Either you get it or you don't. Up to you, really.
If ownership still wants this team to at least pretend to compete in the short term, Hextall isn’t your guy.

Two of the biggest reasons why Hextall was fired was for keeping an ineffective coach for too long and not finding a solution in net. Does that sound eerily similar to what’s happening with us?

“But at his end-of-year news conference on the state of his hockey team Thursday, Hextall made it sound as if Neuvirth - who had the NHL's worst save percentage of the 58 goalies who played at least 15 games this season - was a big part of his 2017-18 plans.”

Neuvrith went on to have a 4.44 GAA and a save percentage of .847 in the playoffs in 2017-2018.

I’ll give him some time, but he’s repeating the same mistakes thus far.

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
HockeyBuzz.com - Ryan Wilson - Penguins continue to go all McGinn on overpaying depth players

Ryan Wilson is…. special :laugh: Someone needs to tell him to put the twitter analytics graphics down and watch hockey.

Lol, I would post my RW meme but I'm on the wrong computer. Him being on HockeyBuzz is soooooooo fitting. If he worked more on content than chart+opinion and try to pass it off as analysis, he'd be better off. When he stays away from charts and numbers, he's not terrible.

I wonder if Wilson is one of our resident whiners

There's a user here with the same twatter haggle but we usually don't see much from him. There was another poster on here that came and white knighted all over him when we shit on his entire existence. 100% him IMHO.

If RW actually understood the stats, it would be one thing. But his superficial understanding of the work others do makes him...special. I'll never forget the Trevor Daley post, lol.

That all said, he's one of those guys who will never be happy, just like so many here. Lose in playoffs = sky is falling. Win Cup = "well yeah...that's what was supposed to happen. Good job, I guess, on not screwing up".

The only reason to be up in arms over Hextall's GMing to this point is if you have unreasonable expectations regarding this team's current standing. We're not a Cup competitor anymore, I don't give a shit if we outshot the Isles in round 1 or won a division that wasn't anything close to as brutal as all the talking heads made it out to be before the season. :laugh: It's pretty clear by the hiring of Hextall that Mario realizes the "go all in for the Cup at all costs" days are over, and while we may not actually be there yet, we will be very soon. You don't hire a guy for 2 years of wild GMing in a vain attempt to fix things, only to f*** up your future even more and have to hire another GM for the rebuild.

You'll save yourself a whole lot of grief if you realize and accept that the era is coming to a close and it makes no sense to make drastic moves to try and add big name, big money guys anymore. Let the big three play it out and start the firesale whenever one or more of them hang 'em up. We got our Cups. This core was more successful than a team that had Mario and Jagr. Time for the next chapter is rapidly approaching.

We can't have it all ways. 99.9% of the time, whichever way the GM picks, people here want the opposite. "Damn JR for handing out bad contracts!" "WHY THE F DIDN'T HEXY GIVE OUT A BAD CONTRACTS TODAY!!!!????" "We need to stop giving out assets for win-now stuff" "Hexy CLEARLY doesn't want to win the Cup!" JFC, stop.

I mean, no matter what any GM does, it's not going to be the right move for anyone here...with the exception of a couple of us. While I get others cheering on your soapbox stump speech here, I can only wonder to myself...where the f*** have you been? You've been "here" but clearly not "here". Hextall said they want to build for the future while still trying to win. That's a tight rope to be walking.

And I kinda hate to break it to you, but the "wild GMing" is what go us out of the rut Shero put us in and got us 2 Cups and it's what every GM who wins the Cup every year does. Show me a Cup winner that didn't do several JR like deals leading up to their Cup. Tampa did it, St Louis did it, Washington did it, we did it...you want to win, you need to make those moves. Problem is, for 30+ GMs every year, it doesn't work out. There's a limited number of Cups to be given out in a single seasons.

Which awful contract signed yesterday should Don have given out?

I was actually going to ask this as well. Free agency tends to be cringy. I assume it all centers around Zucker and Pettersson, so perhaps the question is "if those two went poof three days ago, who do we sign to replace them"? Arguably, Pettersson is replaced in house, and I bet they pick Ceci if they had the room.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Brock McGinn: Pittsburgh got out of the Brandon Tanev deal somehow, only to commit themselves to a much worse fourth-line forward for four years at nearly $2.75 million. Jared McCann, who makes $190,000 more, was traded for expansion reasons to make room for this. One scored at a 61-point pace last year, the other wasn’t even at half of that. He plays with jam though so I guess that’s worth putting a burden on your cap, despite McGinn-types being a dime-a-dozen.- Dom L

There you go @Pens x.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He posted his model as well.

But, Dom’s model has been really off the past two years. He said he was really good the last year or so. But he is skeptical of McGinn over the contract length.

Idk maybe I have too high of expectations, but I feel like a hockey writer should be able to do more than just say "deal bad cuz my graph say so!".

The issue I have with pure analytics people is that they fail to realize that analytics are just a part of an analysis. They're looking at the stats while ignoring literally everything else. It's the same crap that Ryan Wilson does.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Idk maybe I have too high of expectations, but I feel like a hockey writer should be able to do more than just say "deal bad cuz my graph say so!".

The issue I have with pure analytics people is that they fail to realize that analytics are just a part of an analysis. They're looking at the stats while ignoring literally everything else. It's the same crap that Ryan Wilson does.

Well, the thing with Dom and JFresh is they acknowledge their models have issues.

Wilson is the type who takes the model and uses it as fact.

Reactions: Peat and Freeptop

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
McGinn was playing on a very competitive team’s top 9 forward group and scored at a commensurate rate.

Not sure how that translates to overpaid 4th liner.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Highlights show McGinn scores in a variety of ways which is what you want from any player.

Reactions: EightyOne

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
He posted his model as well.

But, Dom’s model has been really off the past two years. He said he was really good the last year or so. But he is skeptical of McGinn over the contract length.

Dom's model has been really high on the Leafs for a bit now, so maybe he needs to work on some corrections... :sarcasm:

It's worth noting that his model comes to a completely different conclusion from Micah Blake McCurdy's model, which has Brock McGinn as a 2nd line forward.

Which is why I don't tend to put much stock in the "distill everything down into WAR / Game Score metric" models in general. There's a lot of nuance lost that way. That's how you end up with "Dominik Simon is a really good player" instead of "Dominik Simon is really good at puck possession, which makes him good defensively, but his shot is terrible, so he provides no offense, and thus, doesn't belong in a top six role". You can get the latter out of analytics, but not so much when you try to hash everything down into a single metric.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Dom's model has been really high on the Leafs for a bit now, so maybe he needs to work on some corrections... :sarcasm:

It's worth noting that his model comes to a completely different conclusion from Micah Blake McCurdy's model, which has Brock McGinn as a 2nd line forward.

Which is why I don't tend to put much stock in the "distill everything down into WAR / Game Score metric" models in general. There's a lot of nuance lost that way. That's how you end up with "Dominik Simon is a really good player" instead of "Dominik Simon is really good at puck possession, which makes him good defensively, but his shot is terrible, so he provides no offense, and thus, doesn't belong in a top six role". You can get the latter out of analytics, but not so much when you try to hash everything down into a single metric.

Yeah, I’m not a big fan of expected models. Micah’s included.

I really like Corey’s stats as they are actually proprietary viewings versus number crunching and he is a Canes fan. He really dug McGinn.

Reactions: Peat and Freeptop

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Just having his name on this team is awesome…Brock McGinn sounds like a character’s made up character in Boogie Nights…

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
He isn’t anywhere as quick or agile as Tanev, but he is stronger. He has a good set of hands and can be very effective on the penalty kill. Good signing. I wanted him when I saw that he was a UFA.

Good. So sick of this little speedy, get abused af trying to 'get to our game' crap.

Get some guys who can handle themselves already.

Reactions: Gurglesons

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The impression I get is Hextall is not here for the short term but also here to build the team post Sid era.

Well, that's why we hired a rebuilding GM over someone goofy for a few years like Tallon who would be active like JR. The org knows we are at the end, let's get a guy early and prepare while still going for it. No more trading draft picks or prospects, trade player for player or sign FAs for the last few years before poof! Hextall loves his picks, we hired the right guy just like at the time we hired JR it was the right guy.

Reactions: Night Shift

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The Penguins traded McCann and Tanev for McGinn, Rodrigues, Hallander and $3 million in cap space.

Can't see a single reason to criticize the team based on how this progressed.

Yeah... for awhile it was as if exgmjr was actively pursuing landing the worst possible f***ing contract signings single handedly dismantling the 2016 squad.

The most hilarious part is that HE WALKED OUT on the team...

Amazing stuff really.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Listen, if you're bent out of shape because this team isn't doing enough, that's on you. This team's been a pretender, it's sucked, for years. Before Hextall took over, and then guy known for patience (probably to a fault) inherited a mess.

Either you get it or you don't. Up to you, really.
You go ahead and pack up in July if you want. I want the Pens to go for it this year before all the contracts expire next year.

Reactions: Gurglesons

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yeah... for awhile it was as if exgmjr was actively pursuing landing the worst possible f***ing contract signings single handedly dismantling the 2016 squad.

The most hilarious part is that HE WALKED OUT on the team...

Amazing stuff really.
Me when JR walked out.

Ceci you later! don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Reactions: LOGiK

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Just having his name on this team is awesome…Brock McGinn sounds like a character’s made up character in Boogie Nights…

Bates Battaglia is still the coolest hockey player sounding name ...

Brock McGinn isn't too bad though.

Reactions: Andy99

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
There is only one Brock, IMO. Sampson!

e91a9ce1ee6a2fd2aa5f7a1931c56874.gif

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad