Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Brock McGinn

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
McGinn is sort of a replacement for Tanev and Aston-Reese.

Poor man's Tanev, rich man's Aston-Reese. He'll probably play on the third line with Blueger to start the season. I personally was never sold on Aston-Reese. He's a solid defensive forward, but not worth the $2M to $3M he'll make a season most likely. I'd much rather have Zohorna or Heinen in the lineup than Aston-Reese. Heinen is probably the closest to a McCann replacement we have.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Poor man's Tanev, rich man's Aston-Reese. He'll probably play on the third line with Blueger to start the season. I personally was never sold on Aston-Reese. He's a solid defensive forward, but not worth the $2M to $3M he'll make a season most likely. I'd much rather have Zohorna or Heinen in the lineup than Aston-Reese. Heinen is probably the closest to a McCann replacement we have.

ZAR has been qualified…that means he’s coming back unless he gets an arbitration award over $4.5 mil…unfortunately we’re stuck with him and he will be right next to Blueger again as Sullivan cannot give up his “duos”…lol

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

McGinn is better than Tanev.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’m not sure it’ll even be a poor version. And I think that’s what Burke was talking about.

Part of me wants to accuse you of over-optimism then I looked at his stats with Aho and, yeah, okay, that's pretty legit third wheel stuff. Like, if he pulls that shizzle with Malkin and Kapanen, we'll be lauding Hextall's genius on this signing all summer long.

Reactions: Trade

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Part of me wants to accuse you of over-optimism then I looked at his stats with Aho and, yeah, okay, that's pretty legit third wheel stuff. Like, if he pulls that shizzle with Malkin and Kapanen, we'll be lauding Hextall's genius on this signing all summer long.

We just need to figure a way to get Rust on L3 tbh.

McGinn - Malkin - Kapanen
Zucker - Carter - Rust

Is a very solid middle six.

ZAR - Blueger - Rodrigues is okay.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We just need to figure a way to get Rust on L3 tbh.

McGinn - Malkin - Kapanen
Zucker - Carter - Rust

Is a very solid middle six.

ZAR - Blueger - Rodrigues is okay.

There is absolutely SFA to stick with Crosby should we do that, unless Danton Heinen wants to take this magical chance to turn his career around.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
There is absolutely SFA to stick with Crosby should we do that, unless Danton Heinen wants to take this magical chance to turn his career around.
Heinen played stretches with Bergeron and Marchand when Pastrnak was injured a couple years ago. He produced, too, so it's not out of the question.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Can’t wait til McGinn plays with Geno and he WAAARRSS all over those charts.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
As much as I want to see McGinn with Malkin and Kapanen, he'll probably he stuck with Blueger.

This is my guess what the lineup will look like once Malkin is healthy, barring a major trade happening between now and then.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Zucker - Malkin - Kapanen
Simon - Carter - Rodrigues
Aston-Reese - Blueger - McGinn

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I hope this dude works with our notoriously horrible to work with stars

He can serve up some massive crow

Last edited:

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
McGinn was a smart signing. Very similar player to Tanev, but he's 2 years younger and has a smaller cap hit. Obviously he's not going to be point per game for the whole season but if the team's healthy, he could prove to be an important piece for the bottom 6.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Points he may not see when the roster is fully healthy or near abouts. McGinn is not going to be slated in the top 6 for any major stretches. With the injuries he's playing 3rd line minutes.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s playing above Zucker within a few weeks if there play continues..

As well as they are playing we all know that's not how it works. This is a role player you are trying to put above a top six winger.

1st: Once Sid is back they are the 4th line. That's not even weeks away.
2nd: That'd mean Zucker is on the 4th line.
3rd: There's still depth above McGinn.
4th: Their/his role is the shut down line.
5th: That's where the coaching wants him

Without Rust it's still not going to happen, when Rust gets back further pushes him down.

Just with Sid back...

Guentzel, Crosby, Heinen <--- with injuries I'd think they'd want E-Rod at 3c.
Zucker, Carter, Kapanen

Now this is where things get tricky. E-Rod is certainly worth having as your 3c, but if they want to keep consistency going they may want to still keep Bluegers line as the 3rd line until Geno is back.

ZAR, Blueger, McGinn
O'Connor, Boyle/E-Rod, E-Rod/Boyle

When Rust is back I can see Heinen pushing Zucker down. Also, with Rust out I can see Zucker playing Sid's RW. This part is all up in the air at the moment. Heinen has been playing well with Carter.

But with Rust back in those same coming weeks... this isn't unconceivable. Meaning, just because Zucker is there, they won't be slating his line as the 4th line.

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Heinen, Carter, Kapanen
Zucker, Boyle, E-Rod
ZAR, Blueger, McGinn

Now, do they do a shakeup and try this?

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Heinen, Carter, Kapanen
Zucker, Blueger, McGinn
ZAR, Boyle, E-Rod

That's about as close as McGinn will be leapfrogging Zucker on a consistent basis. IMHO.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I like his game but he is chest-snipe city.

Has had many chances straight to goalie's chest. ManBearPig-esque. But it's 4 games.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McGinn will probably be getting about 14 minutes a night when everyone is healthy, similar to what Tanev got last year. I don't think his usage is going to drop off to a degree where we need to think his production will start lagging.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
As well as they are playing we all know that's not how it works. This is a role player you are trying to put above a top six winger.

1st: Once Sid is back they are the 4th line. That's not even weeks away.
2nd: That'd mean Zucker is on the 4th line.
3rd: There's still depth above McGinn.
4th: Their/his role is the shut down line.
5th: That's where the coaching wants him

Without Rust it's still not going to happen, when Rust gets back further pushes him down.

Just with Sid back...

Guentzel, Crosby, Heinen <--- with injuries I'd think they'd want E-Rod at 3c.
Zucker, Carter, Kapanen

Now this is where things get tricky. E-Rod is certainly worth having as your 3c, but if they want to keep consistency going they may want to still keep Bluegers line as the 3rd line until Geno is back.

ZAR, Blueger, McGinn
O'Connor, Boyle/E-Rod, E-Rod/Boyle

When Rust is back I can see Heinen pushing Zucker down. Also, with Rust out I can see Zucker playing Sid's RW. This part is all up in the air at the moment. Heinen has been playing well with Carter.

But with Rust back in those same coming weeks... this isn't unconceivable. Meaning, just because Zucker is there, they won't be slating his line as the 4th line.

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Heinen, Carter, Kapanen
Zucker, Boyle, E-Rod
ZAR, Blueger, McGinn

Now, do they do a shakeup and try this?

Guentzel, Crosby, Rust
Heinen, Carter, Kapanen
Zucker, Blueger, McGinn
ZAR, Boyle, E-Rod

That's about as close as McGinn will be leapfrogging Zucker on a consistent basis. IMHO.

McGinn is already averaging more time than Zucker at all strengths and 5v5.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad