Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Ploff time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
How about Conor Sheary?

54% of his career shots come from low slot or the crease.

shot-heat-map.png

When Sheary has had higher levels of success, those numbers spike more (59% in 2016-17, his career year).

Once again, ERod is a reversal of Sheary. Similar build, similar skill set, similar pedigree, different mindset, which is why Sheary has double digit goal seasons throughout his career and Erod has just one.
I like Sheary way more as a comparison. We should have brought him back, for no other reason than to stop playing against him. We could probably run GMR as we know Sid and Sully would accept Sheary as his LW

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They should have brought back Sheary because he's a good player that is criminally underpaid for what he provides.

I think they pretty much replaced him with Heinen, but this team would be way better off with both Heinen and Sheary and without ERod.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
They should have brought back Sheary because he's a good player that is criminally underpaid for what he provides.

I think they pretty much replaced him with Heinen, but this team would be way better off with both Heinen and Sheary and without ERod.
Of course, bringing back Sheary also jettisons Zucker ;)

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
So…. On “what to offer Malkin”.
He finishes a contract now that paid him 800k more than Sid per year (CAP at least) for 8 years, because we couldn’t go as long with him. That means 6.4 million. If that was to be averaged over the next three seasons, we’d deduct 2.1 million from Sid’s hit, and it be 6.6 per. Ie. Lemieux’ number.

How Penguin would that be, and certainly it is hard to call it disrespectful for Geno to get exactly the same as Sid since their second contracts?

I mean, I would like him to take 3x5 or 3x6, but this was just to tackle the “disrespectful offer” thing. 6.6 should be the high mark given the above, IMO.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I like Sheary way more as a comparison. We should have brought him back, for no other reason than to stop playing against him. We could probably run GMR as we know Sid and Sully would accept Sheary as his LW

Sheary-Crosby-Rakell
Jake-Malkin-Rust

I'm sure Jake would score 40 with Malkin too. Maybe we should TRY Jake-Malkin-Rust for the playoffs and Rakell with Crosby and if Zucker is fine for the playoffs have him in Jakes spot? If we are getting swept anyway what does it matter. At least we potentially got Malkin going into beast mode Geno.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
It’s amazing that the keyboard experts here blame everything negative with the team on Sullivan and he never gets any credit for the positives.

You don’t know what you’re watching if if you do you’re just in denial.

The stars have faded but Sullivans system is greater than the sum of the parts. It’s the reason for our success despite all the injuries.

We’re going to get younger, bigger and faster this off season.

We’ll have a lot of money to make moves when #58 and #71 walk. No more freelancing.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
The Keyboard Experts describe Sullivan as “stubborn” but then want to resign aging players who no longer fit.

I would love a deep run to end this time with the core but I don’t see it happening. We have no second line.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
It’s amazing that the keyboard experts here blame everything negative with the team on Sullivan and he never gets any credit for the positives.

You don’t know what you’re watching if if you do you’re just in denial.

The stars have faded but Sullivans system is greater than the sum of the parts. It’s the reason for our success despite all the injuries.

We’re going to get younger, bigger and faster this off season.

We’ll have a lot of money to make moves when #58 and #71 walk. No more freelancing.
Letting both of them walk is terrible asset management. If this is our masterful plan, why didn’t we trade these guys? It it just so the team doesn’t look bad to yinzer nation? The team could spin it to the media that they tried but the players signed elsewhere? Then the media could make up stories about the players?

The kool aid gang will act swiftly in bashing them the second they sign elsewhere.

Reactions: jmelm

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
The Keyboard Experts describe Sullivan as “stubborn” but then want to resign aging players who no longer fit.

I would love a deep run to end this time with the core but I don’t see it happening. We have no second line.
Heinen-Malkin-Rakell isn't a second line? Huh?

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
So…. On “what to offer Malkin”.
He finishes a contract now that paid him 800k more than Sid per year (CAP at least) for 8 years, because we couldn’t go as long with him. That means 6.4 million. If that was to be averaged over the next three seasons, we’d deduct 2.1 million from Sid’s hit, and it be 6.6 per. Ie. Lemieux’ number.

How Penguin would that be, and certainly it is hard to call it disrespectful for Geno to get exactly the same as Sid since their second contracts?

I mean, I would like him to take 3x5 or 3x6, but this was just to tackle the “disrespectful offer” thing. 6.6 should be the high mark given the above, IMO.
This doesn't really make sense to me at all. There's a market, and the market for Malkin isn't 6.6. 5M for Malkin? You can't be serious with this.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Letting both of them walk is terrible asset management. If this is our masterful plan, why didn’t we trade these guys? It it just so the team doesn’t look bad to yinzer nation? The team could spin it to the media that they tried but the players signed elsewhere? Then the media could make up stories about the players?

The kool aid gang will act swiftly in bashing them the second they sign elsewhere.

We didn't try to trade the free agents for assets because we're trying to win the cup one last time with the "core". That's the point after all.

These posters who like the players for than the team say "we owe it to (insert favorite player) to let them retire here." We owe them this. Another cup run. Not a terrible anchor of a contract.

But go ahead with your bizarre conspiracy theories dealing yet again with upper management.
Post automatically merged:

Heinen-Malkin-Rakell isn't a second line? Huh?

If you want to get caved in 5 on 5 sure. We just have to deal with a 2nd line center who is a complete liability 5 on 5.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
We didn't try to trade the free agents for assets because we're trying to win the cup one last time with the "core". That's the point after all.

These posters who like the players for than the team say "we owe it to (insert favorite player) to let them retire here." We owe them this. Another cup run. Not a terrible anchor of a contract.

But go ahead with your bizarre conspiracy theories dealing yet again with upper management.
Post automatically merged:

If you want to get caved in 5 on 5 sure. We just have to deal with a 2nd line center who is a complete liability 5 on 5.
You're completely talking out of your ass. Show where that line has ever gotten caved in 5v5.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
We need a REAL 2C. Like BigJeff "I'LL show you caved" Carter. Think of all the cap space!

Or perhaps Johnny "I seen NOTHIN" Toews. All those leaderships and intangibles!

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
You're completely talking out of your ass. Show where that line has ever gotten caved in 5v5.

I've posted the stats multiple times. It doesnt matter who's the linemates a line with #71 is a defensive liability. I mean simply look at the plus/minus.

Tell you what. If #71 is a plus player this playoff series I'll leave the messageboard forever. If he's a minus player you leave the messageboard forever. Deal?

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Letang will get some nice offer here. Pens have to stick to some restraint but I do pay up a little for him. Malkin, I let the market set the price and if reasonable, match it. I think the market is suspect for him at the 8 to 9 million some are suggesting. Rust may get a nice offer and if it is the 6.5 to 7 million AAV, I pass. these playoffs will be a consideration as to what the prospects are of doing the same expecting different results.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The last month or so has definitely knocked Rust's value down. Rakell badly outproducing him with Crosby, and then Rusty doing nothing without Crosby? No bueno.

For Geno's contract, Marleau got 3/$18.75M from TOR at a similar juncture. The cap is currently 10% higher so that gets us to 3/$21. Again. Another marker in the $7M range.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
Keeping Rust is a bigger mistake than resigning Letang or Malkin.

The other compounding mistake if the let Letang go would be chasing Klingberg. Klingberg's going to be a long, expensive instant regret contract for someone this offseason. It can't be us.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The last month or so has definitely knocked Rust's value down. Rakell badly outproducing him with Crosby, and then Rusty doing nothing without Crosby? No bueno.

For Geno's contract, Marleau got 3/$18.75M from TOR at a similar juncture. The cap is currently 10% higher so that gets us to 3/$21. Again. Another marker in the $7M range.

Hell he hasn't even done anything WITH Crosby lately at least in fits and starts and a handful of full-on GCR games.

EDIT: I wonder if there is an injury we don't know about in play? It IS Rust, after all.

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Doesn’t sound like it’s any more than 50/50 he stays reading Letang’s quote…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad