Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: November - Go home Sully, you're drunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I'm gonna hold out hope the Pens claim Sheahan and trade for Jankowski back. Can you imagine watching a 4th line of
Aston-Reese/Sheahan/Jankowski?
Oh the Vanilla!

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
If ZAR were around during the Bylsma era we undoubtedly would have been treated to Glass-Adams-Zar

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
At the deadline if we are out...

Malkin @ 50% to Anaheim for Max Jones + 1st
Letang @ 50% to Carlina for Nino Niederreiter + 1st
Next year, Crosby to Colorado for Newhook + Maltsev + 1st
Rust @ 50% to Toronto for Holl/Dermott + 1st
Dumoulin to Edmonton for Yamamota + 2nd
Riikola to someone for a 3rd

Then Hextall can roll on the conference room table in picks. Leaves us a nice core to build around and 5 1sts in the next 2 years...one of which we hope is Bedard.

The idea of Crosby, Malkin, and Letang not finishing with the Penguins bothers me.

I'd rather ride off into the sunset with those 3. They've earned it, and I enjoy watching their career arcs, the ups and the downs.

It's already rare for 3 superstar players to spend their whole careers together. Have 3 stars in any sport played nearly 20 years together? And team sports are trending further and further away from that.

There will be plenty of time to suck and hoard picks after they're gone.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The idea of Crosby, Malkin, and Letang not finishing with the Penguins bothers me.

I'd rather ride off into the sunset with those 3. They've earned it, and I enjoy watching their career arcs, the ups and the downs.

It's already rare for 3 superstar players to spend their whole careers together. Have 3 stars in any sport played nearly 20 years together? And team sports are trending further and further away from that.

So, we will tread water for 3 years so that Geno can play 40 games per season in a Pens’ jersey?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So, we will tread water for 3 years so that Geno can play 40 games per season in a Pens’ jersey?

I'll enjoy watching these 3 together and seeing how the brass tries to build around them for the home stretch.

Like I said earlier, watching 3 star players together for nearly 20 years is a rare thing. Might not happen again in our lifetime.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I'll enjoy watching these 3 together and seeing how the brass tries to build around them for the home stretch.

Like I said earlier, watching 3 star players together for nearly 20 years is a rare thing. Might not happen again in our lifetime.
You are assuming all three want to stay here. Management desperately needs to make a move to show these guys we are doing everything in our power to contend for the remainder of their contracts. This whole swap out bottom six players for other bottom six players isn’t addressing the underlying issues.

The last two off seasons do not reflect a team truly trying to contend for the cup. If these guys want another shot at the cup, this likely isn’t the best place for that. Burke needs to step in and make a move if we want those guys to stay. The sleepy approach will send these guys packing.

Malkin is my favorite player, and the thought of him playing elsewhere is sickening. However, I wouldn’t blame him for leaving. Our front office has been terrible pretty much since 2017.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You are assuming all three want to stay here. Management desperately needs to make a move to show these guys we are doing everything in our power to contend for the remainder of their contracts. This whole swap out bottom six players for other bottom six players isn’t addressing the underlying issues.

The last two off seasons do not reflect a team truly trying to contend for the cup. If these guys want another shot at the cup, this likely isn’t the best place for that. Burke needs to step in and make a move if we want those guys to stay. The sleepy approach will send these guys packing.

We do what we can to keep them, and if we can't, we let them play out their deals.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
We do what we can to keep them, and if we can't, we let them play out their deals.
It depends where we are in the standings. If sleepy doesn’t make any moves to improve this team, we likely won’t be a playoff team. If that’s the case, you gotta trade them to recoup some assets. I assume they’ve had discussions about their intentions. The last thing you want is a Tavares situation.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I agree with you entirely but Letang's probably pricing himself out of Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014

Especially if they still want to be here.

Selling off our star players for futures sends a message to other players in the league about the Pens franchise(which is already not an attractive FA destination).

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Since their 60+ point seasons in '17-'18, Forsberg has scored at a .77 p/g pace, (63 points per 82 games), while Zucker's scored at a .56 p/g pace (46 points per 82 games).

That's close?

Looks more to me like one player has continued to produce at the same rate while the other's fallen off considerably.

Yeah, I think it’s close considering one is getting little time on the Powerplay since.

Forsberg is the better player. But is he worth a 1st + Poulin + losing Zucker? I don’t really see him changing much especially given his injury history.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah, I think it’s close considering one is getting little time on the Powerplay since.

Forsberg is the better player. But is he worth a 1st + Poulin + losing Zucker? I don’t really see him changing much especially given his injury history.

One of the drawbacks for Zucker has always been that he wouldn't get time on the 1st unit here. Forsberg would.

The difference in production between Zucker and Forsberg since '17-'18 is about the same as the difference between Forsberg and Malkin. Well worth the upgrade. Wingers who average a 63 point pace or better over that period don't become available very often.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
One of the drawbacks for Zucker has always been that he wouldn't get time on the 1st unit here. Forsberg would.

The difference in production between Zucker and Forsberg since '17-'18 is about the same as the difference between Forsberg and Malkin. Well worth the upgrade. Wingers who average a 63 point pace or better over that period don't become available very often.

I would rather have Zuck on PP1 over Jake, but your point is well-taken

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

And once again the issue is that Forsberg has been hurt four years in a row. Isn’t this a consistent argument you bring up in terms of health being a factor.

He’s going to be 29. You want to pay full value for a player past his prime who is in the same realm as Zucker.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And once again the issue is that Forsberg has been hurt four years in a row. Isn’t this a consistent argument you bring up in terms of health being a factor.

Ideally, yes. If a more healthy winger with comparable skill becomes available, obviously I'd prefer them. But Zucker isn't that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad