Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: November - Go home Sully, you're drunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
We need a Jake Guentzel trade pronto.

Not sure if it's for immediate help or just assets. Just get him out and worry about what to do next later.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
High-to-mid 1st and a really good prospect and you can have yourself one extremely used Jake Guentzel. I'll even throw in our vaunted "100th percentile defensively elite" ZAR.

-edit- You gotta pay for the printer cartridges, but I'll even print out some heatmaps for you too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaosAgent

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
High-to-mid 1st and a really good prospect and you can have yourself one extremely used Jake Guentzel. I'll even throw in our vaunted "100th percentile defensively elite" ZAR.

-edit- You gotta pay for the printer cartridges, but I'll even print out some heatmaps for you too.

so what you are saying is Sam Bennett and a 1st for Jake Guentzel.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's kind of ironic that that's actually a trade that could help the Pens at this point.

Something's just off with Jake and I'm not sure it'll ever be fixed.

I like Heinen and Rodrigues, but I wish we would’ve targeted Sanford this summer. He went for nothing of consequence and is adding a ton to the Sens.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
How do you make a shit salad taste better?

Cause that's where the team is at.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Regardless if you feel like Sullivan could be doing more of if it's just injuries/execution derailing us, I really want to see someone actually make an argument for why Jake deserves a spot here just based on play. I've been a huge Jake defender over the years, but dude looks cooked, and I don't think it's just about his shoulder. He's just got so much wrong with his play as of late.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
My only beef with Sullivan is sticking with these pairings that just don't work anymore. The players ultimately have to execute, and no line changing is going to fix a team that doesn't want to make smart plays, stay close on the ice and provide puck support. But these line combos make it so much harder to do on a nightly basis. Guentzel's play is unacceptable, Kapanen is invisible. It's going to be really hard for this team to get past that. Crosby will get better, Carter will get better. But why stick with pairs that just don't work? Just stop already and try something out of the box and see what works. It's October. I hate how he gets set in his ways so early and just doesn't veer anymore. He never did this in 2016-18. If last year wasn't enough to shake him out of this ridiculous stubbornness, then management needs to step in. I get that he's awesome in prep, video, routine, practices, leadership etc. But if you're sticking with bad lines and not making adjustments, the outcome is no different than a coach that isn't good at any of those other things.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think we also need to realize that Carter won’t produce at nearly the same rate for an entire season, and Kap had a career best season last year. You can’t just assume their production will continue at last year’s levels necessarily.

Throw in Jake’s sharp decline and the injuries, we are in trouble.

I know many are giant homers when it comes to Hextall, but he more or less moved the chairs on the deck. He and the media whore Burkie preached we need to get tougher all last season; they clearly failed at addressing it. Let’s not even mention the fact that they didn’ upgrade our crappy goaltending when so many were available this summer, but that’s on par for Hextall. He was a terrible hire, sorry.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Jake isn’t the dynamic talent people thought/think he is. He simply cannot be our best winger with an aging 87/71 if we want to do anything of note the next few years. That’s not their fault. It’s just reality.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I don’t think this team can win again with sully. he just isn’t managing this roster well when it’s healthy. He’s a good nhl coach but I just don’t think his putting players in place to succeed here

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think we also need to realize that Carter won’t produce at nearly the same rate for an entire season, and Kap had a career best season last year. You can’t just assume their production will continue at last year’s levels necessarily.

Throw in Jake’s sharp decline and the injuries, we are in trouble.

I know many are giant homers when it comes to Hextall, but he more or less moved the chairs on the deck. He and the media whore Burkie preached we need to get tougher all last season; they clearly failed at addressing it. Let’s not even mention the fact that they didn’ upgrade our crappy goaltending when so many were available this summer, but that’s on par for Hextall. He was a terrible hire, sorry.

Carter’s has 4 points through 5 games..

Reactions: Night Shift

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Jake isn’t the dynamic talent people thought/think he is. He simply cannot be our best winger with an aging 87/71 if we want to do anything of note the next few years. That’s not their fault. It’s just reality.
He definitely used to be, but his game's shifted a ton imo. He's no longer a threat from range, and even though I don't think he was ever a guy to take over a game on his own, he could definitely create more away from Sid or Geno than he seems to be willing or able to now.

We're years removed from that Jake. He may reach that level again if he ever sorts out his confidence issue, but he also may be permanently damaged goods. Let another team figure that out this summer, imo.

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
Gotta hope Wokey and Burke see what we see in the failing of Sully's lineup combos and such. I know it's frowned upon for higher ups to tinker like that, but I really wouldn't be against it if they tried talking to Sully. Unlikely to happen though

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He definitely used to be, but his game's shifted a ton imo. He's no longer a threat from range, and even though I don't think he was ever a guy to take over a game on his own, he could definitely create more away from Sid or Geno than he seems to be willing or able to now.

We're years removed from that Jake. He may reach that level again if he ever sorts out his confidence issue, but he also may be permanently damaged goods. Let another team figure that out this summer, imo.

I disagree. I think he benefited greatly from a still prime 87/71 on a Cup caliber team. He took full advantage of that.

His “regression” has more to do with the trajectory of the team and its core pieces. He’s never been someone to have great games independent of his center’s impact. That’s what we need more than ever.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I disagree. I think he benefited greatly from a still prime 87/71 on a Cup caliber team. He took full advantage of that.

His “regression” has more to do with the trajectory of the team and its core pieces. He’s never been someone to have great games independent of his center’s impact. That’s what we need more than ever.

Analytically Jake was a top ten player in the league a couple years there.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Analytically Jake was a top ten player in the league a couple years there.

You’d only take 9 forwards in the league over him during that time frame?

Again. If he was that level of talent, we’d be a powerhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad