Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: November - Go home Sully, you're drunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Well, I'm not hitting the eject button on the season, but if Hextall is looking for a "shakeup" move that includes losing a winger, I'm thinking that he should be on the line with Edmonton. Their start + the scoring workload that falls on the shoulders of McDavid and Draisaitl makes me think they would love to get a cheap, speedy winger like Rust who they could actually fit in their jammed cap situation. They might actually be able to split those two up and start rolling multiple dangerous lines, rather than having two guys out there half the game.

Speaking of Letang, it wouldn't surprise me if the Penguins tried to just replace Letang by committee and tried to re-create the 2017 defense with something like:

Dumoulin-Marino
Pettersson-Matheson
POJ-Veteran RD

And then spend that money elsewhere. I really can't see this team handing out $8 million to Letang and I really can't see a way that Letang signs for less than that. Hell, you can argue he's worth $9 million right now. It sucks because the team is going to take a massive step backwards after losing Letang, but I think this strategy is more likely than them keeping him or replacing him with a big name in free agency.

That's a pretty interesting scenario, IMO, and and might become a necessity because of all the Dmen we have on long term deals (mostly a JR legacy) and the fact that nobody out there is lining up to trade for them anytime soon. That would bring us down to about 21M on D, and give us a very wide latitude to reassess the forward group.

Of course, the ideal scenario is somehow moving a Petts or Matheson, and retaining Letang at a friendly number, and then extending Dumo. But if we miss the playoffs and management decides to shuffle the deck one last time for this team, then Letang might be feeling like there are greener pastures elsewhere.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If Carolina thinks they’re a Letang away from a cup, could we get Pesce for him?
If Letang's camp is pressing hard for $9+ million, shop him at the deadline at 50% retained, take your king's ransom and that's that on the era.

He may be worth it, but it doesn't matter. Let him decide whether or not to take a discount for another chance at a Cup or to grab Seth Jones-money from like Detroit or something.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
If Letang's camp is pressing hard for $9+ million, shop him at the deadline at 50% retained, take your king's ransom and that's that on the era.

He may be worth it, but it doesn't matter. Let him decide whether or not to take a discount for another chance at a Cup or to grab Seth Jones-money from like Detroit or something.
I think Brett Pesce is the best value contract in the league for a veteran dman. I’ve thought that for quite some time.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
At the deadline if we are out...

Malkin @ 50% to Anaheim for Max Jones + 1st
Letang @ 50% to Carlina for Nino Niederreiter + 1st
Next year, Crosby to Colorado for Newhook + Maltsev + 1st
Rust @ 50% to Toronto for Holl/Dermott + 1st
Dumoulin to Edmonton for Yamamota + 2nd
Riikola to someone for a 3rd

Then Hextall can roll on the conference room table in picks. Leaves us a nice core to build around and 5 1sts in the next 2 years...one of which we hope is Bedard.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006

Then Hextall can roll on the conference room table in picks. Leaves us a nice core to build around and 5 1sts in the next 2 years...one of which we hope is Bedard.
If Sid and Geno can still sell tickets, not much changes. The comings weeks will give us a better idea.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If you want Geno back, you better hope he’s not watching this team right now. I’m not sure I’d want to sign a multi year extension here if I wanted to win the cup one more time.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

A line of,,, Mitchov, Wright, Bedard has a nice ring to it....They owe us.....

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Jeff Healy was something else. No wonder he played such a prominent role in such a gritty classic as Roadhouse.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
What does Letang at 50% bring back if we suck all season long for example. What team would take him?

The Hockey News podcast was talking about this after the Eichel trade, They said too early in the season to talk about it now but If the Pens are out by the deadline they could see them moving him and Vegas as a team for him.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
The Hockey News podcast was talking about this after the Eichel trade, They said too early to talk about it now but If the Pens are out they could see Vegas as a team for him.

They have no cap room for him even with 50% when Eichel comes back and their other LTIR guys, they would need to shed money. Unless it's to the Pens taking on some of the cap. Maybe we could entertain a 3 team trade with the Hawks trading Fleury to Pens and shipping him back to Vegas (lol) at 50% aswell. They get their Fleury back.

If Carolina thinks they’re a Letang away from a cup, could we get Pesce for him?

They decline. They want to add to their good D, not subtract.

Reactions: Night Shift

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

I doubt you get a 3rd for Riikola but I 100% agree with your premise. Time to stockpile high draft picks. With the assets we have we can get a huge haul coming back.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I'm honestly not ready to give up on the season at .538, like many here. I don't think we need to trade our best players yet. Just need to win the next 2 games and get back to .600.
It's a tall task against Wash on the road but getting significant reinforcements should help. Hopefully they'll be pissed tomorrow.

Discouraging loss vs a depleted Ottawa? Yes.
But I also remember us taking out a healthy Florida a few days ago, with our own injury list.

The NHL's too random to really draw conclusions from these fragments. What does it mean when you outplay Minnesota, beat Florida and Philly, and then lose to Chicago and Ottawa? Taking bad teams lightly perhaps. Not sure what it says about playoff hopes though? :confused:

Last I checked we were .500 when Sullivan got Covid. Looks like progress to me.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sleepy has to find a goalie ASAP. This is an enormous problem right now that can’t be neglected anymore. He f***ed up big time by not adding someone this summer, and now it’ll cost us an asset to fix, if he bothers doing anything at all. Isn’t Lindberg injured or might be injured right now?

you-gotta-do-something-cant-just-sit-here.gif

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Not that far off tbh.

Since their 60+ point seasons in '17-'18, Forsberg has scored at a .77 p/g pace, (63 points per 82 games), while Zucker's scored at a .56 p/g pace (46 points per 82 games).

That's close?

Looks more to me like one player has continued to produce at the same rate while the other's fallen off considerably.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Speaking of Letang, it wouldn't surprise me if the Penguins tried to just replace Letang by committee and tried to re-create the 2017 defense with something like:

Dumoulin-Marino
Pettersson-Matheson
POJ-Veteran RD

And then spend that money elsewhere. I really can't see this team handing out $8 million to Letang and I really can't see a way that Letang signs for less than that. Hell, you can argue he's worth $9 million right now. It sucks because the team is going to take a massive step backwards after losing Letang, but I think this strategy is more likely than them keeping him or replacing him with a big name in free agency.

That would be horrifying. Marino is not ready for top pairing minutes. Probably won't ever be. Dumoulin would suck without Letang to prop him up. He's declined the past few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad