Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: November - Go home Sully, you're drunk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
In a vacuum? Yes, they are better players.

In terms of what this team needs, no I don’t think it’ll be much of a change up. I honestly think losing Zucker for Forsberg possibly makes us worse in terms of making our top six even more perimeter.

Oy. Again, couldn't disagree more.

If we didn't want to be perimeter, the obvious move would've been to keep Hornqvist, the best "inside" man in hockey. But he was deemed expendable. And Pavelski is better than anyone outside of Crosby and Guentzel at working inside regardless. Better than Zucker, certainly.

We need skill. Honest to God skill. And Forsberg is more skilled than any forward we have outside of Crosby and Malkin. That's not really in dispute.

Pavelski slows this team down if placed in our top six. I don’t think the powerplay changes with Sid and Geno out and subbing in Pavs.

Pavelski was more productive than Kapanen or Rust last year, despite playing with lesser centers.

Reactions: AjaxTelamon

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oy. Again, couldn't disagree more.

If we didn't want to be perimeter, the obvious move would've been to keep Hornqvist, the best "inside" man in hockey. But he was deemed expendable. And Pavelski is better than anyone outside of Crosby and Guentzel at working inside regardless. Better than Zucker, certainly.

We need skill. Honest to God skill. And Forsberg is more skilled than any forward we have outside of Crosby and Malkin. That's not really in dispute.

Pavelski was more productive than Kapanen or Rust last year, despite playing with lesser centers.

It ain’t 2017 bro.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I’d be way more dead set on trying to pry out Hertl over Forsberg if we are going full assets for a rental tbh.

Hertl is a much more versatile player, and I’d be willing to give him 8 mil times term much more quicker than Forsberg.

Hertl is a much better player, so obviously yah I'd target him over Forsberg too.

Hertl is a game changer like Point or Aho.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Remember when people were writing off Carter?

Carter can still skate. Pavs can’t.

Zucker has the same points as Pavs with Evan Rodrigues this year.

Forsberg is hurt once again. I also don’t see Filip Forsberg as this player that exudes skill. He was a nice prospect, but he flattened out as a 60 pt forward which is the whole issue with him in Nashville. He ain’t Kaprizov or Barzal.

sauce66871

Dec 14, 2011
I’d hope so.

what I was hoping for too. Him or Manson from the Ducks would be nice. If they trade Letang and/or Malkin for futures, one of those defensemen would be nice then targeting Hertl, Forsberg, Trochek or Gaudreau would be really interesting.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
what I was hoping for too. Him or Manson from the Ducks would be nice. If they trade Letang and/or Malkin for futures, one of those defensemen would be nice then targeting Hertl, Forsberg, Trochek or Gaudreau would be really interesting.

Manson wouldn’t work. He’s fallen off hard.

Stetcher would be good as a depth player.

Reactions: PensandCaps

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Manson sucks though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Carter can still skate. Pavs can’t.

Zucker has the same points as Pavs with Evan Rodrigues this year.

Forsberg is hurt once again. I also don’t see Filip Forsberg as this player that exudes skill. He was a nice prospect, but he flattened out as a 60 pt forward which is the whole issue with him in Nashville. He ain’t Kaprizov or Barzal.

Without any star center.

Which of our current wingers are reasonably capable of that?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We all know this type of thing will be a decision well down the seasons path and whether or not they are a real threat to compete.

I'd probably go...

Guentzel, Crosby, Pavs <---to get a RHS on the line with talent to help both
Zucker, Malkin, Rust
Heinen, Carter, Kapanen
Boyle, TB, McGinn/E-Rod/O'Connor/ZAR

Playoffs.

If a center goes down Pavs fills in while McGinn moves up and someone will need to double shift on the 4th line.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Forsberg-Malkin-Pavelski
Heinen-Carter-Kapanen
ZAR-Blueger-McGinn

That's a nice looking forward line-up.

Not sure I'm as much of a fan as others of trade scenarios that end with GCR or Zucker and Malkin together.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Sideline

May 23, 2004
The Letang from this year is easily worth a $9MM cap hit when you start comparing him to the going rate other guys are signing for. The only question is how many years he's worth it. Two years definitely, three years maybe, four years doubt it, five years ouch. The problem is someone will offer him 5 years at $9MM.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I know everyone is excited about the prospect of change but I really don't see a scenario where we're better off letting Malkin and/or Letang walk. The only scenario where that makes sense to me is the one in which the Pens decide to go for a complete rebuild.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Certainly like this...

Having 2 top PP units is also really appealing. Check.

Crosby, Malkin, Guentzel, Rust and Letang

Pavs, Carter, Kapanen, Matheson and Marino

You can mix and match to find what works.

Not sure I'm much a fan of this either.

I just don't get keeping together a unit in Sid, Geno, Jake, Rust, Letang that (a) is soft as shit, (b) doesn't create traffic in front of the goalie, and (c) doesn't utilize 1/2 of the offensive zone properly.

Especially when one considers how Carter and/or Pavs in place of Jake and/or Rust would address these lingering issues (issues that become especially apparent in the playoffs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad