Penguins Off-Season Thread: You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll hurl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Everything after we expended a 8 OA on him is a horrid nightmare. Like watching him in the WJC and wondering if he was really as lethargic as he looked in the D zone and then coming into camp out of shape the year he was supposedly a lock for the big club, etc. etc.
I forget what event or gathering it was, but I distinctly remember a "holy shit that's a professional athlete's physique" picture, prominently featuring Pouliot's "I took the past 4 years off" moobs.

Reactions: Al Smith

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I remember him being touted by some a as potential Letang replacement and when I finally saw him play in game action I was like "You guys mean only all the bad parts and at half speed? Terrific."

the Staal trade worked out ok with Dumo but could have been fantastic if Shero hadn’t been so obsessed with puck moving defensemen. And just think of all the years the Pens HF site missed out defending Tom Wilson had we drafted him instead of DP.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
One day everybody, maybe even NHL GM's, will realize that a good goalie in Arizona is a product of the Arizona system. As soon as they leave for another team they turn into a pumpkin.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
the Staal trade worked out ok with Dumo but could have been fantastic if Shero hadn’t been so obsessed with puck moving defensemen. And just think of all the years the Pens HF site missed out defending Tom Wilson had we drafted him instead of DP.

I guess it isn't worth looking backward on, now. And that draft kinda sucked, in general.

But I mean... Forsberg was sitting right there and conventional wisdom should have made that pick obvious. But Shero had to galaxy brain things... and in Pittsburgh, no less. IIRC there was a mixture of silence and some scattered boos haha

But yeah... only top ten pick they will have this entire era and they do... that.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I guess it isn't worth looking backward on, now. And that draft kinda sucked, in general.

But I mean... Forsberg was sitting right there and conventional wisdom should have made that pick obvious. But Shero had to galaxy brain things... and in Pittsburgh, no less. IIRC there was a mixture of silence and some scattered boos haha

But yeah... only top ten pick they will have this entire era and they do... that.

Hard to get mad about a draft where we acquired

A top four D that led to a back to back Cup.
A goaltender that was the starter that led to a back to back Cup.
Sundqvist who was technically used as an asset.
Our current 3C.

Pouliot turned out to suck ass and was an off the cuff choice, but hard to fault the scouts when they pulled what else they did out of that draft.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

I remember Pierre calling it just before it was official and loving it. Should have been a bad sign.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It was perfectly predictable that a GM who did the bare minimum to surround his generational superstar centers with talent would pass on Forsberg. It was unthinkable to me that he would pass on the big, physical, talented NA blueliner in Trouba.

Reactions: WayneSid9987

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Our current 3C.

Pouliot turned out to suck ass and was an off the cuff choice, but hard to fault the scouts when they pulled what else they did out of that draft.

Well drafts of 18 year olds are largely a crap shoot, but you hope for better from a top 10 pick.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well drafts of 18 year olds are largely a crap shoot, but you hope for better from a top 10 pick.

I get your point, but I mean. That top ten was awful all around. Reilly and Dumba are really the only effective players left.

1Nail Yakupov (RW)
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
Edmonton OilersSarnia Sting (OHL)
2Ryan Murray (D)
23px-Flag_of_Canada_%28Pantone%29.svg.png
Canada
Columbus Blue JacketsEverett Silvertips (WHL)
3Alex Galchenyuk (C)
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
Montreal CanadiensSarnia Sting (OHL)
4Griffin Reinhart (D)
Canada
New York IslandersEdmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
5Morgan Rielly (D)
Canada
Toronto Maple LeafsMoose Jaw Warriors (WHL)
6Hampus Lindholm (D)
23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.png
Sweden
Anaheim DucksRogle BK (Allsvenskan)
7Matt Dumba (D)
Canada
Minnesota WildRed Deer Rebels (WHL)
8Derrick Pouliot (D)
Canada
Pittsburgh Penguins (from Carolina)1Portland Winterhawks (WHL)
9Jacob Trouba (D)
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
Winnipeg JetsUS NTDP (USHL)
10Slater Koekkoek (D)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Everything after we expended a 8 OA on him is a horrid nightmare. Like watching him in the WJC and wondering if he was really as lethargic as he looked in the D zone and then coming into camp out of shape the year he was supposedly a lock for the big club, etc. etc.

We all knew Forsberg should’ve been the pick. It was a slam dunk he fell to us. I was in disbelief we didn’t take him.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Our current 3C.

Just to clarify I meant that 2012 was an underwhelming draft in general and a bit more crap-shooty than most.

The Pens did well in the later rounds. As they almost always did under Shero.

I never knew how accurate this was but I always heard Ray got the biggest say and final word in round 1 and let his scouts take over after that.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Just to clarify I meant that 2012 was an underwhelming draft in general and a bit more crap-shooty than most.

The Pens did well in the later rounds. As they almost always did under Shero.

I never knew how accurate this was but I always heard Ray got the biggest say and final word in round 1 and let his scouts take over after that.

Shero himself supposedly said this. I forget where.

Seems like bullshit though. I imagine all of his picks were technically made by the scouts.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Shero himself supposedly said this. I forget where.

Seems like bullshit though. I imagine all of his picks were technically made by the scouts.
Except for 2006. He wanted Backstrom but his scouts were pushing for Staal.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Makes sense to me. Come back as a coach or special assistant or whatever and if the team doesn’t get off to a good start they make the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese