Penguins Off-Season Thread: You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll hurl

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I just don't want OEL. I want to dump Jarry and Petts, trust me, but I don't want to take that dogshit contract attached to a lukewarm player in return--even if it means getting a solid goalie like Kuemper.

I just don't think the Penguins and Yotes are trade partners. Especially in anything relating to OEL.
If OEL was a UFA and he got a 6x6, I’d say it was a pretty good deal. Extra year to keep the aav down. Unfortunately, his aav is 8.25 and not 6.00. But he’s still a good player. I would expect a huge rebound year or two before the decline re-starts in earnest. I think you’d get a few darn good years out him. I expected Pittsburgh would only really be looking at the next 2-3 years and most.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If OEL was a UFA and he got a 6x6, I’d say it was a pretty good deal. Extra year to keep the aav down. Unfortunately, his aav is 8.25 and not 6.00. But he’s still a good player. I would expect a huge rebound year or two before the decline re-starts in earnest. I think you’d get a few darn good years out him. I expected Pittsburgh would only really be looking at the next 2-3 years and most.
I'm of the belief that this team needs to rebuild sooner than later, so you're probably not gonna sell OEL and his contract to me. :laugh: Appreciate the hustle though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm of the belief that this team needs to rebuild sooner than later, so you're probably not gonna sell OEL and his contract to me. :laugh: Appreciate the hustle though.
That’s no hustle. I think he’s worth 6x6 as a UFA. And I think he’ll rebound wherever he goes (especially if it’s a top program) and I think he’s go another few years in the tank. All of that is as honest as it gets.

Whether that’s a fit for Pittsburgh is your department. But OEL is my department. And the above is no BS. :)

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
That’s no hustle. I think he’s worth 6x6 as a UFA. And I think he’ll rebound wherever he goes (especially if it’s a top program) and I think he’s go another few years in the tank. All of that is as honest as it gets.

Whether that’s a fit for Pittsburgh is your department. But OEL is my department. And the above is no BS. :)
He's just not a fit. Not after we went out and landed the illustrious Matheson. :laugh: We need to move Jarry and Petts because they either suck, or have bloated contracts. We'd also need to dump Matheson for OEL to have a spot/role.

I'd rather try and dump Petts and Jarry for as much cap space as possible, then try and grab someone like Ullmark or someone in FA.

Dumo 4.1 - Letang 7.25
Matheson 4.9 - Marino 4.4
Petts 4 - FA

That's, uh, a lot of cap for a pretty mediocre blueline beyond the top pairing. :laugh: No cap space, no roster spot. OEL is just a non-starter.

Last edited:

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Hey Pens fans! I’ve got one heckuva whopper for you :) It’s exactly the kind of big ugly proposal that gets outside fans absolutely torched on sub-forums. Haha. So I expect and welcome the flaming. It’s well-deserved for coming in hot like this. So all the preamble aside:

To PIT:
OEL
Kuemper (50% retained)
—Total: 10.5aav

To ARI:
Pettersson
Jarry
‘21 2nd rounder
—Total: 7.5aav

^ once you’re done ripping me limb from limb, if your find your rage isn’t satisfied, you can turn on @Toby Flenderson - trust me…he deserves it. ;)

OEL is just too negative of an asset to take on.

The Penguins don't have an albatross contract to that degree. Upgrading to Kuemper is nice but it just isn't enough to justify the move. Jarry doesn't have a lot of value right now, but it's not zero. Petts...who knows. Teams need LD. He'll get something.

I think we could take this framework but we'd need to expand it to include Zucker on our side and the equivalent of 2 1st rounders on your side. Drop the second obviously. The deal gets pretty unwieldly at that point, but then again so is OEL's contract and your starting position is dumping it on us through Kuemper (correct?)

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I missed this. Could you tell me more? Couldn’t he just take Pettersson’s spot?
Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Bryan Rust and Kasperi Kapanen are all in the final year of their current contracts.

Rust and Kapanen will get raises - Rust a sizeable one. Letang and Malkin will have their cap hits come down, but they'll still be expensive.

The Penguins cannot afford a cap hit the size of OEL's when they already have $4 million+ cap hits on D going to Letang, Brian Dumoulin, Mike Matheson, and John Marino AND they have to do new deals for four of their six best players.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
So............

As of right now... what are the lines looking like for opening day.
Training camp aside and any signings until then....

add:
I see the lineups in the other thread.

Last edited:

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
no more D! Not even Ceci. Dumo-Math-POJ-Juicy on the left/Letang-Marino-Friedman-Chad on the right. Trade MP (or Math). Sign ZAR, Gaudreau, Zohorna, ERod, a vet goalie. If there is anything left, Tatar for Geno and Kap.

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
So............

add:

Idk about the bottom 6 but the top 6 is probably

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust

Zucker-Carter-Kapanen

Edit:nvm

Reactions: LOGiK

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
So............

add:

I mean, we haven't even gotten to the Draft, much less Free Agency, so I can say with confidence that we don't have much clue about what the lines will look like for opening day.

I'm expecting some sort of trade at the Draft, if only to start clearing out the logjam ahead of POJ on defense. I'd be surprised if all of Matheson, Petterson and Riikola are with the Pens to start the season. Now, whether that means they'll be able to move any of the big contracts, or they just end up moving Riikola, I couldn't say - I usually end up terribly wrong when I try to guess these things :laugh:

Reactions: LOGiK

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Idk about the bottom 6 but the top 6 is probably

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust

Zucker-Carter-Kapanen

Edit:nvm

I think it's too early to even speculate since free agency hasn't begun yet. Hextall cleared over $6 million in cap space with McCann/Tanev moving on, and he might be able to get rid of Pettersson's $4 million as well. That would be huge in terms of being able to modify the forward group.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think it's too early to even speculate since free agency hasn't begun yet. Hextall cleared over $6 million in cap space with McCann/Tanev moving on, and he might be able to get rid of Pettersson's $4 million as well. That would be huge in terms of being able to modify the forward group.

They didn't modify the forward group

/Wonderyears

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Remember when Pouliot got absolutely burned by a 76 year old Hartnell? Good times.
Everything after we expended a 8 OA on him is a horrid nightmare. Like watching him in the WJC and wondering if he was really as lethargic as he looked in the D zone and then coming into camp out of shape the year he was supposedly a lock for the big club, etc. etc.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Everything after we expended a 8 OA on him is a horrid nightmare. Like watching him in the WJC and wondering if he was really as lethargic as he looked in the D zone and then coming into camp out of shape the year he was supposedly a lock for the big club, etc. etc.

I remember him being touted by some as a potential Letang replacement and when I finally saw him play in game action I was like "You guys mean only all the bad parts and at half speed? Terrific."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad