Penguins Off Season Thread - Useless Information Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Anyone else surprised Gruden and Bellerive didn't make the cap roster?

No.

This'll be Gruden's first pro season. And Bellerive, while a good hockey player, was shown to be behind Miletic on the depth chart. Miletic was almost part of the most recent Rona Squad when the Pens had their playoff roster.

I'm a little surprised by Bellerive as there isn't a single WBS centre at camp (unless they think Zohorna will be a WBS C). And I know they've deliberately stacked the NHL roster with guys they like at C but even so, I'd have thought they'd have had the next guy in line there just in case. But otherwise not that surprised.

Reactions: The Old Master

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm a little surprised by Bellerive as there isn't a single WBS centre at camp (unless they think Zohorna will be a WBS C). And I know they've deliberately stacked the NHL roster with guys they like at C but even so, I'd have thought they'd have had the next guy in line there just in case. But otherwise not that surprised.

Aren't Nolan and Gaudreau both centers/can play center?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I was getting Frederick Gaudreau confused with Pontus Aberg! Yup, okay, Gaudreau is first C up.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Anyone else surprised Gruden and Bellerive didn't make the cap roster?

Not really. I imagine with a smaller camp due to COVID they had to be more selective. Bellerive they are already familiar with. And maybe they already had plans for Gruden. But Bellerive will continue to play in WBS where they can monitor development. Given how relatively full the roster is, I think they are looking at Poulin, Legare, and OC more than Bellerive. Likely even Lafferty will be sent down.

That said, the "taxi squad" concept this season should be pretty interesting. I keep trying to remind myself to read into what it all means.

Gaudreau has a NHL contract. Nolan doesn’t

Frédérick Gaudreau - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Yup. I must have missed the news on Nolan. I'd take him as a call up for sure given his experience. Gaudreau isn't gonna move the needle much.

I was getting Frederick Gaudreau confused with Pontus Aberg! Yup, okay, Gaudreau is first C up.

I forgot about Aberg. Wonder how his KHL season is going...

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Pens are the lightest team this season.

Elite Prospects - Team Comparison in NHL

43iv8l.jpg

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Tacitus Kilgore

May 26, 2010
Potomac, MD
For once in a good while I honestly haven't a clue what I should be feeling kinda like the first year post Shero/Bylsma, it's kinda ... nice I guess? seriously I have idea what I should feel or what my expectations should be.

Pretty much the same here, i'm just hoping for a playoff birth and a good series or two. So the last couple years of no showing in the playoffs can be put aside

Jesse

Jun 28, 2005
Pittsburgh
I'm pleased that the first game is at 5:30. It cuts out 90 minutes of agony that we' have waiting for 7:00. Or the 8:00 primetime spot.

We should do more hockey at 5:30.

F***, I'm old.

Reactions: vodeni and ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
For once in a good while I honestly haven't a clue what I should be feeling kinda like the first year post Shero/Bylsma, it's kinda ... nice I guess? seriously I have idea what I should feel or what my expectations should be.
Yeah it feels like new territory but also because the year of 2020 for the Pens was bruuuutal. Just played like horse shit with no energy. If i learned one thing with the Pens is a flip doesn't just switch. I'll watch and see but mainly I want to see the following:

- How does the defense play?
- How does the bottom 6 gel?
- Does Sully make ANY f***ing changes to style of play?

I'll just wait and see basically.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Yeah it feels like new territory but also because the year of 2020 for the Pens was bruuuutal. Just played like horse shit with no energy. If i learned one thing with the Pens is a flip doesn't just switch. I'll watch and see but mainly I want to see the following:

- How does the defense play?
- How does the bottom 6 gel?
- Does Sully make ANY f***ing changes to style of play?

I'll just wait and see basically.

Doesn't matter seasons over, because the 2000 ft, 256 year old Chara is a cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany