News Article: Penguins name Andy Chiodo goaltending coach; Mike Buckley relieved of duties

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Dick Tarnstrom was amazing that season.

And the Igloo. The new arena is just so sterile.

What's with the Essenssa avatar if you like the Pens? You and I fight on the Steelers board, I assumed you were another out of towner who was only a Steeler fan. I told you to go back to the Jets board once :laugh:

I know you might have me on ignore because I'm good at rustling jimmies

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
It's too bad Malone chose the coke parties in Tampa over staying in the 'burgh.

True that.
I wonder what was going on in Tampa that was worse than a DUI and Cocaine possession? Was it murder?

4473E5C8-B796-4B27-ABD6-0361493F3F73.jpeg

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Not that I could remember vividly due to my brain not being fully developed, but wouldn’t Aubin have stretches where he would absolutely dominate in net? I think I remember him single-handedly winning games late in the disaster of the season that was 03-04.

Yeah, I think that team broke him. On a related note, who was the promising young goalie that Barrasso basically harassed until he imploded? Lalime?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I'm sure the strippers are a hell of a lot better too.
I'm sure you are absolutely correct!

If I was getting paid a few million dollars a year... and a kid (basically) without a wife and kid... I'd be having strippers galore hanging around me.

I would have made it a rule that every time I left the house I'd have to have at least 2 beautiful foxes next to me at all times. Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit... like when Letterman was introduced.... like I saw politicians do... nothing new... it helps raise morale =]

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
We need a "Whatever Happened To...." thread where a name is asked, and what he has done since leaving hockey is found out.

Whatever happened to bugsy anyway? Did he ever have any run ins with the law again or he clean his shit up and actually save some of the millions he made?
Don't tell me he's broke and in debt with mental issues....

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone think Chiodo is going to be any better? Pretty thin resume as a coach and as a player I don’t recall him being especially sound technically, though “those that can’t, teach” and all that.

He seemed like a positive and well spoken guy that tended to play well in big games (AHL playoffs) but not sure that’s anything you can teach, especially not to grown adults. And he spent a lot of time in our system, so basically a lot of years with no coach of his own to break bad habits.

Our best hope is that he picked up on some of Finland’s goalie coaching techniques during his time over there since they’re a goalie factory, but I think their method isn’t anything secret, it’s just giving every team its own goalie coach even down to the youth level.

Obviously I hope he does well and if anyone has an eye for goaltending it’s Hextall. It’s just not like we brought in Mitch Korn or Allaire.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Does anyone think Chiodo is going to be any better? Pretty thin resume as a coach and as a player I don’t recall him being especially sound technically, though “those that can’t, teach” and all that.

He seemed like a positive and well spoken guy that tended to play well in big games (AHL playoffs) but not sure that’s anything you can teach, especially not to grown adults. And he spent a lot of time in our system, so basically a lot of years with no coach of his own to break bad habits.

Our best hope is that he picked up on some of Finland’s goalie coaching techniques during his time over there since they’re a goalie factory, but I think their method isn’t anything secret, it’s just giving every team its own goalie coach even down to the youth level.

Obviously I hope he does well and if anyone has an eye for goaltending it’s Hextall. It’s just not like we brought in Mitch Korn or Allaire.

Who bloody knows but

1) Gonna be a job to get worse results
2) Has already helped Jarry and DeSmith through tough times mentally so I guess he's been around while good things have happened before

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
If they're not going to replace Jarry, replacing Buckley is the way to go. I honestly believe Jarry can play like an average goalie or better; maybe not great, but better than he looked last year. Hopefully Chiodo can wring a passable performance out of him.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Real solution: find a new goalie

Hextall solution: replace the goalie coach

You can’t be surprised when he previously brought back Neuvirth and Elliott after crappy seasons. He’s allergic to making the necessary changes. JR was reckless, but Hextall is too cautious.

“Even after last year’s less-than-ideal performance and injury-prone season, Elliott and Neuvirth were brought in again this year with the expectation results would be different. Results have not been different.”

He’s falling for the same traps that rightfully got him fired in Philly. But but but it’s JR’s fault and stuff. You can’t force trades, you can’t force players to sign here. I guess then what is the point of GM when they are suddenly so powerless? No one used these excuses when we had JR as GM, but these identical excuses were used all the time when Shero was GM.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad