News Article: Penguins name Andy Chiodo goaltending coach; Mike Buckley relieved of duties

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I bet he’d look good in that sweater.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Here's another thought - I wonder if they waited to make the change because they wanted to see if they made a goalie acquisition. If they had landed Fleury, for example, maybe they bring Mike Bales back from Buffalo.

Or if they had landed someone else who had a great relationship with a coach.

But since nothing planned out, they went with Chiodo because he's apparently done well and has a different approach.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
My friend lived next to Biles and it was told to me that they or his wife didn’t like it here in the city.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Well Buckley definitely didn't work, hopefully Chiodo works better. Good to see they've at least recognised the issue, even if I'd prefer a different goalie.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Last I checked Bales is in Buffalo now.

I don’t think a goalie coach makes a bad goalie good or vice versa but obviously when goalies aren’t playing well but trades can’t happen this is the logical step.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
giphy.gif

All sleepy has to do is find Andy a legitimate goalie to work with…

200.gif

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I cant imagine that goalie coaches mean a whole hell of a lot to the position at the NHL level.

Other than helping identify certain traits that a goalie might not notice on their own. But they can come here for that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Here's another thought - I wonder if they waited to make the change because they wanted to see if they made a goalie acquisition. If they had landed Fleury, for example, maybe they bring Mike Bales back from Buffalo.

Or if they had landed someone else who had a great relationship with a coach.

But since nothing planned out, they went with Chiodo because he's apparently done well and has a different approach.

Good point. I think timing wise this does sound like Hextall deciding he's probably not going to get another goalie unless things go really sideways, and therefore moving onto a guy who's helped Jarry and DeSmith more than the present guy.

I'll also just throw it out there that even if a goaltending coach brings a fairly minimal difference, it's a fairly minimal difference between bad and average, or average and good, for goaltenders in this league anyway, so it could still pay off big. Although imo the big obvious swinging difference he can make is finding whatever psychological tool or technique it is that Jarry needs to bring his best game when it matters and then not slide off next game. What made Murray great wasn't been a more talented goalie than everyone else, it was being calmer and more resilient than everyone else. Buckley presided over a huge if unsurprising (in the circs) decline in that, and didn't do much to help Jarry. Maybe there's nothing that can be done there but feel like that's the hope.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->