News Article: Penguins name Andy Chiodo goaltending coach; Mike Buckley relieved of duties

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Good point. I think timing wise this does sound like Hextall deciding he's probably not going to get another goalie unless things go really sideways, and therefore moving onto a guy who's helped Jarry and DeSmith more than the present guy.
I still have hope that Hextall isn’t dumb enough to roll with DeSmith and Jarry again. He made the exact same mistake with Elliott and Neuvrith. He also kept a coach for way too long.

It’s almost like he’s making the same mistakes here.

tenor.gif

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Yeah, the only way we think we will know if Chiodo is doing a good job is if Jarry and DeSmith have a good season.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Considering how our goaltending was the past handful of seasons, this can't really be a surprise

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Considering how our goaltending was the past handful of seasons, this can't really be a surprise

Yeah I mean... we can debate the true merits of goaltending coach but the fact of the matter is that results have been suboptimal for years and in the end Buckley was someone else's idea, anyway. So a change seems warranted.

Hmmmmmm... sorta brings up some other obvious points as it relates to coaching, no?

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I agree that a change needed to be made, but I also agree that a goalie coach isn't gonna make an awful goalie play well, or a good goalie play awful hockey. It's one of those "f*** it, what's the worst that can happen" moves, imo.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I mean... we can debate the true merits of the position but the fact of the matter is that results have been suboptimal for years and in the end Buckley was someone else's idea, anyway. So a change seems warranted.

Hmmmmmm... sorta brings up some other obvious points as it relates to coaching, no?

*looks at Burke's recent comments re Sullivan* Not sure I'd hold your breath on that :naughty:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
*looks at Burke's recent comments re Sullivan* Not sure I'd hold your breath on that :naughty:

Oh I'm not. Just can't help but continuously side-eye that elephant standing around over there.

He was also just named to team USA. And lord knows I've never heard of a coach get promoted to such a lofty position then immediately fail spectacularly at a catastrophic and international level, almost immediately unraveling his entire career to that point.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Oh I'm not. Just can't help but continuously side-eye that elephant standing around over there.

He was also just named to team USA. And lord knows I've never heard of a coach get promoted to such a lofty position then immediately fail spectacularly at a catastrophic and international level, almost immediately unraveling his entire career to that point.

Would be ironic.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Buckley should have been fired the day after they were eliminated. Goaltending really started going to shit after Bales left and he took over.

Reactions: Andy99

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
if you think jarry is physically capable of being an upper echelon goalie - which seems clear - than someone new to try and shape up his mental side of the game seems like a pretty clear path forward.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It’ll be interesting to see what the US team looks like.

I really hope there will be NHLers going to so we can get a real feeling for personnel decisions. He's not the only voice involved (Bowman, Guerin, and Vanbiesbrouck also involved) but gotta think he'll have a lot of sway. In particular, curious as to where he'll go with Kyle Connor, who I feel is the most high profile American with lots of offensive skill and not much defence.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
to me, it sounds like they waited this long to fire Buckley because they wanted to bring in another goalie, and when that didn’t materialize because prices of vet goalies went through the roof, their backup plan was to try to improve Jarry’s performance by firing his coach…

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I really hope there will be NHLers going to so we can get a real feeling for personnel decisions. He's not the only voice involved (Bowman, Guerin, and Vanbiesbrouck also involved) but gotta think he'll have a lot of sway. In particular, curious as to where he'll go with Kyle Connor, who I feel is the most high profile American with lots of offensive skill and not much defence.

If NHLers are not going I do not think Sully is.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The timing makes sense if the plan was to wait to see how the goalie market played out. I don't think the odds were too likely Buckley was going to keep that job for much longer one way or another, but who replaced him likely depended on who we would be entering the season with. Same goalies? Change the coach. New goalie? No better time to change the coach.

Always difficult to say how good/bad a job a coach is doing when we're not seeing what is being taught or anything, but suffice to say the results under Buckley have been thoroughly underwhelming enough for a change to be a matter of when and not if. Especially when he was brought primarily for Murray by the previous GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad