News Article: Penguins name Andy Chiodo goaltending coach; Mike Buckley relieved of duties

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
OK so like I know it sounds like excuse-making but to be fair I was never super high on this team blowing it's wad on some name goaltender, anyway.

Does anyone else suspect we might be better off not holding the bag on some inflated goaltending contract once the league loses it's fascination with "big money" goaltenders in a year or two and goes back to remembering that they are erratic and not to be trusted with huge contracts?

Just me?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You think they'll stop giving goalies money in a season or two?

It's not often I get to tell people to be more cynical....

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
You think they'll stop giving goalies money in a season or two?

It's not often I get to tell people to be more cynical....

I think that Price finally making a run has given some gas to the goaltender fire. It's been a devalued position for a while. In my opinion for good reason.

I think once people realize they aren't actually a magic bullet it'll settle down some. I sure wanted no part of any of these contracts. They have "botch job" written all over them with few to no exceptions.

People can disagree all they want but goaltending is a dumb position to dump money and assets into.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think it’s not a coincidence that every Tom, Dick and Harry has posted a great save percentage in Carolina, one of the most disciplined and defensively responsible teams of the last 3 years.

If it was me, and I didn’t have a Vasi or Price, I’d platoon a couple 2-3m goalies and just ride the hottest one or the one the team plays best in front of come playoffs.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think that Price finally making a run has given some gas to the goaltender fire. It's been a devalued position for a while. In my opinion for good reason.

I think once people realize they aren't actually a magic bullet it'll settle down some. I sure wanted no part of any of these contracts. They have "botch job" written all over them with few to no exceptions.

People can disagree all they want but goaltending is a dumb position to dump money and assets into.

I dunno man. Vasilevskiy getting 9.5m before he'd really done wasn't all that devalued - and it really paid off. I think teams are going to keep getting round eyed about goalies they think can be a difference, or even be a trusted, because let's be honest there's not as many starters as you can trust season after season as there are teams.

Which is the crux of the position. Problem even. Although position works. Consistently goaltending is bloody rare. Which makes goaltending both worthless and hugely valuable.

Me, I think smart team building involves dumping a lot of picks into goalies. You never know when one will take off or when you'll need one. Money? Yeah, I'm against that unless you find Vasilevskiy, but goddamn I wish we had him. Although I'm not sure how long the idea of putting a bunch of picks into goalies will be a competitive advantage, I don't think I'm the only person who noticed 5 of the last 6 cups going to a team with a drafted goalie in their mid-20s.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I dunno man. Vasilevskiy getting 9.5m before he'd really done wasn't all that devalued - and it really paid off. I think teams are going to keep getting round eyed about goalies they think can be a difference, or even be a trusted, because let's be honest there's not as many starters as you can trust season after season as there are teams.

Which is the crux of the position. Problem even. Although position works. Consistently goaltending is bloody rare. Which makes goaltending both worthless and hugely valuable.

Me, I think smart team building involves dumping a lot of picks into goalies. You never know when one will take off or when you'll need one. Money? Yeah, I'm against that unless you find Vasilevskiy, but goddamn I wish we had him. Although I'm not sure how long the idea of putting a bunch of picks into goalies will be a competitive advantage, I don't think I'm the only person who noticed 5 of the last 6 cups going to a team with a drafted goalie in their mid-20s.

I think we would all agree that Vasi is both amazing and has a HELL of a team behind him.

I completely agree that it should be a draft priority, though. I think the Penguins have done very well there and should keep on that road.

I agree with @Jacob. I think it's a very team-dependent position with few exceptions and I would rather just find a couple of decent guys and platoon them. Any goaltender can get hot, it seems. Spending big money seems like a total crapshoot.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I am glad that Buckley was given the heave-ho , even if it was a few seasons too late. Really too bad it wasn't last summer. Certainly good goal tending is part of the team in front, but you can 100% have shitty goal tending with a good team in front, see Penguins 2021 playoff run...

Now we need to find that vet. goalie to bring in. i don't think Hextall is done there, if the right deal doesn't unfold I think we look mid-season/trade deadline to bring another goalie in. We'll have cap flexibility then to do it as well. I'm certain Hextall is at least kicking the tires on / considering Quick. If Quick has one more good playoff run in him I think Hextall brings him in. The big question there though is does Quick have anything left? Is his bad play because it's LA and he needs a change of scenery or is he just done.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I think we would all agree that Vasi is both amazing and has a HELL of a team behind him.

I completely agree that it should be a draft priority, though. I think the Penguins have done very well there and should keep on that road.

I agree with @Jacob. I think it's a very team-dependent position with few exceptions and I would rather just find a couple of decent guys and platoon them. Any goaltender can get hot, it seems. Spending big money seems like a total crapshoot.

Exactly true.

If Vasi and Price flipped teams, TB still would have won.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
This decision is putting a band-aid on a bullet wound. I’m sure it helps but fix the damn billet hole.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad