News Article: Penguins name Andy Chiodo goaltending coach; Mike Buckley relieved of duties

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The Pittsburgh Penguins have named Andy Chiodo as the team's goaltending coach, it was announced today by general manager Ron Hextall. Mike Buckley, the team's goaltending coach from 2017-21, has been relieved of his duties.

"Andy has done a terrific job mentoring our young goaltenders. In addition to on- and off-ice training, he emphasizes the importance of life habits and mental approach to the game," said Penguins general manager Ron Hextall. "We know Andy will be a great addition to the coaching staff. The Penguins are grateful to Mike Buckley for his contributions to the team and wish him and his family the best going forward."

Chiodo, 38, has spent the last three seasons as the Penguins' goaltending development coach. In his previous role, he was responsible for working with young goaltending prospects throughout the Penguins organization in Europe, the minor leagues, juniors and college hockey.

Penguins Name Andy Chiodo as Goaltending Coach

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Very hard to know exactly how to feel about this when we see so little of what they do, but it did sure feel weird seeing him stay in place after so many of our goalies seemed to go sideways with him as the main guy (credit for development work).

Also... "he emphasizes the importance of life habits and mental approach to the game" - that kinda feels like shots fired.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I'm always curious about the timing of these moves and the dynamics in play. Chiodo was in the Penguins organization, so it's not like they had to wait to promote him. Did they want to wait to see if someone else was available - or maybe they were talking to someone who was undecided? Or did something come up as they began preparations for the upcoming season and there was friction, so Buckley was dismissed?

We'll probably never know, but I'm always curious about the conversations that go into whether to keep assistants or position coaches. It's obvious that people are going to be fired when the head coach/GM is canned, but it's less clear on how things shake out when it's a goaltending coach.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm always curious about the timing of these moves and the dynamics in play. Chiodo was in the Penguins organization, so it's not like they had to wait to promote him. Did they want to wait to see if someone else was available - or maybe they were talking to someone who was undecided? Or did something come up as they began preparations for the upcoming season and there was friction, so Buckley was dismissed?

We'll probably never know, but I'm always curious about the conversations that go into whether to keep assistants or position coaches. It's obvious that people are going to be fired when the head coach/GM is canned, but it's less clear on how things shake out when it's a goaltending coach.

This is how it went.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Suck it Buckley!

I have no idea how culpable he is for our goalie struggles, but it looks like we're keeping both so I have to blame someone.

Reactions: HandshakeLine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad