Post-Game Talk: Penguins def. Canucks - 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
Imagine being an NHL team and seeing Vancouver next on your schedule. A gift from the heavens

The only guy worse in this game than Tyler Myers was the frenzied degenerate lunatic they put in charge of the arena air horn

"But refs"
"But Eastern Time Zone"
"But Guillaume Brisebois injury"

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I'm not defending Benning when I say that this is fantasy nonsense.

What happened was the Aquillini group totally changed direction from spending a lot of money and wanting to rush a rebuild to total austerity because they weren't making money due to the pandemic. Yes, a billionaire family decided that ruining the future in order to make the next quarter look financially less bad was prudent.

They refused to facilitate buyouts that would have allowed us to keep Tanev and Toffoli, which is what Benning wanted to do.

Now, Benning has to go and Green does too, but pretending that it's because he's just too dumb to have a plan in place for 6 months is a childish perspective on the world. I swear some people in these threads think they are children in a movie for kids where every adult is just obviously stupid.
Oh, please. Benning had been signing bloated UFA contracts for years and setting the team up for a terrible cap crunch for a long time. By the 2020 offseason the team had signed and then burdened the team with a baker's dozen worth of bad deals, from Loui to Dorsett to Gagner to Myers and many forgotten others. With Hughes/Pettersson/Demko all on a negligible cap hit and Boeser/Horvat/Miller all cost controlled (credit there) the team simply should never had been in a position to need buyouts at that point - specially since by then Benning SHOULD have learned to not accumulate so many bloody bad contracts. Because the problematic cap hits were so toxic, making trades for cap relief wasn't possible - by the way, also a result of Benning's continuous pissing of picks and prospects for marginal players.

Was all of this because Benning occupies an objective "dumb" place in the intelligence spectrum? No, he just GMs as if arranging the pieces for the long-term doesn't matter because he's always feeling the pressure to go all-in every time. Which is a dumb way to manage a team.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Oh, please. Benning had been signing bloated UFA contracts for years and setting the team up for a terrible cap crunch for a long time. By the 2020 offseason the team had signed and then burdened the team with a baker's dozen worth of bad deals, from Loui to Dorsett to Gagner to Myers and many forgotten others. With Hughes/Pettersson/Demko all on a negligible cap hit and Boeser/Horvat/Miller all cost controlled (credit there) the team simply should never had been in a position to need buyouts at that point - specially since by then Benning SHOULD have learned to not accumulate so many bloody bad contracts. Because the problematic cap hits were so toxic, making trades for cap relief wasn't possible - by the way, also a result of Benning's continuous pissing of picks and prospects for marginal players.

Was all of this because Benning occupies an objective "dumb" place in the intelligence spectrum? No, he just GMs as if arranging the pieces for the long-term doesn't matter because he's always feeling the pressure to go all-in every time. Which is a dumb way to manage a team.
I'm not arguing that large portions weren't of his own doing but the 'ran out of time' meme is simplistic and reductive.

likash

Apr 17, 2019

Bro, don't listen to the Naslund19 guy he is known Jimbo fan and Gillis hater. I remember him saying the 2008 canucks core was elite but he had no ideea they made the playoffs in 2007 on the back of Luongo and missed in 2006 and 2008. A lot of Jimbo fans were either to young to remember or did not follow the canucks back then. They joined the bandwagon in 2011 and only saw the fall of the team.

canucks_team_photo.jpg

Last edited:

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Imagine being an NHL team and seeing Vancouver next on your schedule. A gift from the heavens

The only guy worse in this game than Tyler Myers was the frenzied degenerate lunatic they put in charge of the arena air horn

"But refs"
"But Eastern Time Zone"
"But Guillaume Brisebois injury"
:laugh:

Reactions: likash

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
Schenn and Poolman have the same amount of even strength points as Petterson. Petey is sooooo weak he loses every board battle, he's probably scared for his life out there now that he's not running on that young kid adrenaline anymore. We haven't even had to endure his annual injury yet. He's a twig just waiting to be snapped in half.

We can yell at the coach all we want and he deserves a lot of it but god damn our top guys just aren't top guys. We have a mediocre 2nd line, two mediocore 3rd lines and a 4th line but the bad coaching, mixed with low team morale, lack of leadership and wrong players put into wrong spots it turns our lines into one 3rd line and three 4th line's and we have the results to prove it

Top players don't just play this bad because of some drama in the room or because they have a coach they don't like.

Last edited:
Reactions: Get North

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I'm not defending Benning when I say that this is fantasy nonsense.

What happened was the Aquillini group totally changed direction from spending a lot of money and wanting to rush a rebuild to total austerity because they weren't making money due to the pandemic. Yes, a billionaire family decided that ruining the future in order to make the next quarter look financially less bad was prudent.

They refused to facilitate buyouts that would have allowed us to keep Tanev and Toffoli, which is what Benning wanted to do.

Now, Benning has to go and Green does too, but pretending that it's because he's just too dumb to have a plan in place for 6 months is a childish perspective on the world. I swear some people in these threads think they are children in a movie for kids where every adult is just obviously stupid.

It's more complex than that and ultimately sadder. If the problem really was just Benning, then firing him would solve it. How do you fix a dipshit slum landlord ownership? You can't. We're like Buffalo unless another family member wrests control from Franceso and institutes a real president.

I have been a die hard for more than 25 years and the only other time that was quite this bleak was 97-98 and at least then a bunch of heads rolled.

What the hell is this steaming load of bullshit? The Aqualinis didn't change direction or limit any spending at all! Hello, the Canucks remained a cap ceiling team! Hello? Remember that? I mean, aside from moaning about people in a forum you inexplicably keep coming back to, what the hell are you talking about?

likash

Apr 17, 2019
What the hell is this steaming load of bullshit? The Aqualinis didn't change direction or limit any spending at all! Hello, the Canucks remained a cap ceiling team! Hello? Remember that? I mean, aside from moaning about people in a forum you inexplicably keep coming back to, what the hell are you talking about?
I agree. The Benning damage control brigade is out in full force. They know the end is near for old Jimmy. They are getting desperate. I'm expecting a healthy dose of "but Gillis" in the next few days.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I agree. The Benning damage control brigade is out in full force. They know the end is near for old Jimmy. They are getting desperate. I'm expecting a healthy dose of "but Gillis" in the next few days.

The few remaining pro-Benning fans are currently desperately trying to scapegoat Travis Green and ‘lazy players’ for screwing up Benning’s masterpiece.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
They changed course and refused to allow buyouts that would have set other moves in motion.

There was a recent article in the athletic where Drance referenced it, I also happen to know someone who knows a higher up who told me this before, but it's all out there.

You seem really friendly.

Let me remind you of something about 'this forum I inexplicably come back to' I was here first and I have watched the level of discourse plummet to a cultish hatred. I hope to be here still when this eventually passes.

Before you jump down my throat in your very kind way and say, 'but of course we hate Benning, the team sucks' etc. Yes, the team sucks and it's time for him to go. But it's also a f***ing hobby, and one can point out his foibles without exaggerating or lying about them like so many on here do.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Oh, am I part of the Benning damage control brigade? It's a really long con being that I've been here since 9 years before he joined the team.
Offering context and nuance isn't 'lel da bannign brigage'.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Oh, am I part of the Benning damage control brigade? It's a really long con being that I've been here since 9 years before he joined the team.

can you tell me how much Virtanen, Holtby, and Schmidt made combined? Asking for a friend.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Bro, I also liked Nazzy. I know you hate Gillis for not wanting to resign him but he(also Linden) nedeed to go for the team to take the next step. He was finished both mentally and physically for the NHL after the carried the canucks for years. He was the victim of a mediocre front office(still miles better than Jimbo) who could not surround him with the right players, as Gillis did for the Twins.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Blaming the owners for not spending millions to fix Bennings dumb mistakes isn't "changing directions" and making that claim isn't "offering context and nuance". It's deflecting and excusing the GM's years of poor decisions and signings.
That 2020 offseason is completely, 100% on Benning. It was predicted years prior when he was signing junks like Eriksson/Gagner/Sutter/Gudbranson/etc to ridiculous contracts. Those adds up and we all called it PRIOR to the Myers fiasco, or the Holtby overpayment. The only 3 people that can't see it are Jim, FAQ and yourself.

Reactions: Peter10

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Preds didn't even bother re-signing Franson in the off-season. Pure rental just like Santorelli.

Since the discussion was whether Cody Franson was just another forgettable player and you are using Franson being a rental to support your position that he was, I presume you've completely forgotten such other forgettable players as Rob Blake, Mark Recchi, Marion Gaborik, Larry Murphy, Antoine Vermette, Doug Weight and Butch Goring.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Schenn and Poolman have the same amount of even strength points as Petterson. Petey is sooooo weak he loses every board battle, he's probably scared for his life out there now that he's not running on that young kid adrenaline anymore. We haven't even had to endure his annual injury yet. He's a twig just waiting to be snapped in half.

We can yell at the coach all we want and he deserves a lot of it but god damn our top guys just aren't top guys. We have a mediocre 2nd line, two mediocore 3rd lines and a 4th line but the bad coaching, mixed with low team morale, lack of leadership and wrong players put into wrong spots it turns our lines into one 3rd line and three 4th line's and we have the results to prove it

Top players don't just play this bad because of some drama in the room or because they have a coach they don't like.

Soft euro. Still dont understand why he got that extension.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Blaming the owners for not spending millions to fix Bennings dumb mistakes isn't "changing directions" and making that claim isn't "offering context and nuance". It's deflecting and excusing the GM's years of poor decisions and signings.
That 2020 offseason is completely, 100% on Benning. It was predicted years prior when he was signing junks like Eriksson/Gagner/Sutter/Gudbranson/etc to ridiculous contracts. Those adds up and we all called it PRIOR to the Myers fiasco, or the Holtby overpayment. The only 3 people that can't see it are Jim, FAQ and yourself.

Again, I'm not defending the signings you mentioned, but are you saying you predicted Covid? Because that created the flat cap and it was that which caused the owners to switch directions. Incredible powers of prediction you had. You're wasted here, I'm sure the FBI would love to put your powers to better use.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Bro, I also liked Nazzy. I know you hate Gillis for not wanting to resign him but he(also Linden) nedeed to go for the team to take the next step. He was finished both mentally and physically for the NHL after the carried the canucks for years. He was the victim of a mediocre front office(still miles better than Jimbo) who could not surround him with the right players, as Gillis did for the Twins.
I don't hate Gillis, that's a whole lot of assuming you're doing. I loved Gillis.

Reactions: lousy and Indiana

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
can you tell me how much Virtanen, Holtby, and Schmidt made combined? Asking for a friend.
I never wanted Virtanen, so don't ask me to defend that one.

Holtby was a bad bet ultimately, but bringing in a veteran goaltender was a good move as Demko's track record of success was brief and let's not forget that he had faltered down the stretch when Marky was hurt prior to Covid.

Schmidt just didn't work out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad