Post-Game Talk: Penguins def. Canucks - 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Bro, don't listen to the Naslund19 guy he is known Jimbo fan and Gillis hater. I remember him saying the 2008 canucks core was elite but he had no ideea they made the playoffs in 2007 on the back of Luongo and missed in 2006 and 2008. A lot of Jimbo fans were either to young to remember or did not follow the canucks back then. They joined the bandwagon in 2011 and only saw the fall of the team.

canucks_team_photo.jpg
You are confusing me with somebody else. I bet you a million dollars that I never said any of that about the 2006-2008 Canucks, you're making up gibberish and it's truly embarrassing.

I joined the bandwagon in 2011? I joined hfboards in 2005 for f*** sakes and have been a die hard hockey (and nucks) fan since 94.

likash

Apr 17, 2019
You are confusing me with somebody else. I bet you a million dollars that I never said any of that about the 2006-2008 Canucks, you're making up gibberish and it's truly embarrassing.

I joined the bandwagon in 2011? I joined hfboards in 2005 for f*** sakes and have been a die hard hockey (and nucks) fan since 94.
You are Naslund fan more than a canuck fan. No real canuck fan would defend a cancer like Jim Benning.
Benning has done more damage long term to this franchise than Iron Mike and Messier combined. He could not have done a better job if he was o purpose sent by Boston to sabotage us. I'm curious if there were fans back in 1998 defending Messier and Iron Mike .
Jim destroyed our salary structure and culture for years. The next GM will have to perform miracles for us to recover. Even making the playoffs should not save Jim. The fact that the west is full of rebuilding teams and we are bottom 3, is an embarrassement of epic proportions and the fact that he still has a job is a slap in the face of canuck fans who paid big money only to witness this mess.

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I'm not defending Benning when I say that this is fantasy nonsense.

What happened was the Aquillini group totally changed direction from spending a lot of money and wanting to rush a rebuild to total austerity because they weren't making money due to the pandemic. Yes, a billionaire family decided that ruining the future in order to make the next quarter look financially less bad was prudent.

They refused to facilitate buyouts that would have allowed us to keep Tanev and Toffoli, which is what Benning wanted to do.

Now, Benning has to go and Green does too, but pretending that it's because he's just too dumb to have a plan in place for 6 months is a childish perspective on the world. I swear some people in these threads think they are children in a movie for kids where every adult is just obviously stupid.

It's more complex than that and ultimately sadder. If the problem really was just Benning, then firing him would solve it. How do you fix a dipshit slum landlord ownership? You can't. We're like Buffalo unless another family member wrests control from Franceso and institutes a real president.

I have been a die hard for more than 25 years and the only other time that was quite this bleak was 97-98 and at least then a bunch of heads rolled.
Pure bullshit!

He spent to the cap on his GM’s targets. The cost of Stecher, Toffoli, and Tanev is less than Schmidt, Holtby, and Hamonic.

Ownership bought into Jim’s plan. Jim’s execution sucked. The calders and the bubble tricked many.

Stop making excuses for a terrible manager.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
You are Naslund fan more than a canuck fan. No real canuck fan would defend a cancer like Jim Benning.
Benning has done more damage long term to this franchise than Iron Mike and Messier combined. He could not have done a better job if he was o purpose sent by Boston to sabotage us. I'm curious if there were fans back in 1998 defending Messier and Iron Mike .
Jim destroyed our salary structure and culture for years. The next GM will have to perform miracles for us to recover. Even making the playoffs should not save Jim. The fact that the west is full of rebuilding teams and we are bottom 3, is an embarrassement of epic proportions and the fact that he still has a job is a slap in the face of canuck fans who paid big money only to witness this mess.
So instead of owning up to your mistake or fabrication you're gonna double down?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
So instead of owning up to your mistake or fabrication you're gonna double down?
Can you show the math on how those Tanev and Toffoli deals (they didn’t even call him) would’ve fit under the cap and which players were being bought out?

If you say Sutter I laugh because they bright him back this season. Benning is a Sutter truther.

The excuses are pathetic now.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Aqua is the one to blame
So tell me what Jim is responsible? If you say nothing then it also means he sucks. No matter which way you slice it the GM is accountable and his record is his record.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
So tell me what Jim is responsible? If you say nothing then it also means he sucks. No matter which way you slice it the GM is accountable and his record is his record.
I think they all suck. One could rank the in terms of culpability but does it really matter? All of them require to be filled in by better / far more capable individuals.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

You have an owner pushing the wrong goals and being involved day to day that needs to be addressed.

A GM who can’t execute no matter what the plan “forced” on him needs to be addressed. (And let’s not pretend Benning isn’t a willing participant in the vision..he helped set it. It’s why he’s around and Linden isn’t).

A coach who can’t coach at this level also needs to be addressed.

But it needs to be done in that order. Replace the coach and leave the GM in place and you gain little in the end because the roster sucks.

Replace the GM and leave the owner relationship the same would gain you more assuming the GM is competent but it won’t gain you everything you need because they will be handcuffed by a terrible vision.

Bringing in a president to run the organization and remove the FA influence is the only way to hopefully achieve long term success.

Only then do you look at the players on the ice (beyond the obvious ones who shouldn’t be in the nhl or that you try to move for anything at all).

Last edited:

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
If you owned the team you wouldn’t let Benning have free reign either. I would certainly want to be informed on personnel decisions especially now.

Carolina’s owner meddles too. They’re f***ing unreal.

Reactions: geebaan

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I think they all suck. One could rank the in terms of culpability but does it really matter? All of them require to be filled in by better / far more capable individuals.
I’m trying to find out from known Benning first folks what he’s responsible/accountable for?

If Jim is a puppet that means he can’t manage up and has no integrity. That’s still bad.

Reactions: Hit the post

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I’m trying to find out from known Benning first folks what he’s responsible/accountable for?

If Jim is a puppet that means he can’t manage up and has no integrity. That’s still bad.

That and while I think FA meddles I don’t believe he is singling out every player that needs to be signed or not signed. I have no doubt he does that some of the time as he apparently has in the past (Richards) but a large chunk of this goes to just piss poor execution by the front office.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
That and while I think FA meddles I don’t believe he is singling out every player that needs to be signed or not signed. I have no doubt he does that some of the time as he apparently has in the past (Richards) but a large chunk of this goes to just piss poor execution by the front office.
Why do you think Aqua kept Benning and turfed Linden?

The word I would use, is one the team used a lot when Linden was here.

alignment.

Jim Benning aligns with Frank. You have apologists on here daily saying Jim doesn’t wear any of the moves because “they weren’t his” when the likely and more simple scenario is they were aligned in their beliefs and that’s why he’s still here.

The Calder candidates and the bubble got the casuals drunk on the Canucks…these guys are just big dumb fans at heart.

Reactions: MS

Paper Bag

May 22, 2021
Schmidt chose to work/live in Winnipeg over Vancouver.....

Thank about that.

Fire Dim yesterday. This club is done until Dim is fired.

This really says it all. If you have been to both cities you will know.

I'm sure Winnipeg is great in its own way but when comparing cities it's not even close.

So there is obviously other factors at play. Whatever they were for Schmidt, they were large enough to overcome the difference. Like mentioned above, just think about that!

What those other factors are is anyone's guess really. Whether it was an issue with ownership, management, coaching, locker room chemistry or other personal reasons is up for speculation. But where there is smoke there is fire...

tantalum

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri

alignment.

Jim Benning aligns with Frank. You have apologists on here daily saying Jim doesn’t wear any of the moves because “they weren’t his” when the likely and more simple scenario is they were aligned in their beliefs and that’s why he’s still here.

The Calder candidates and the bubble got the casuals drunk on the Canucks…these guys are just big dumb fans at heart.

I 100% agree with you. Benning is fully complicit in vision etc. no doubt. And it’s made worse because he’s awful at his job as well. No matter how bad the vision is, his execution, or lack thereof, has made things much worse.

They all need to be gone but if the family doesn’t deal with FA he’s just going to hire another puppet and usually puppets aren’t very competent. So you’re right back in the same situation.

Reactions: Bitz and Bites

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
It’s actually pretty hilarious that you have someone excusing Benning for not re-signing certain players because he wasn’t allowed to buy out some really bad contracts he signed (which contracts, for clarity, are just a drop in the bucket of bad contracts he’s signed as a GM). Like, couldn’t Blueberries refusal to buyout these contracts be less financial and more him being fed up with a GM who isn’t able to learn and continually signs terrible contracts? I actually have zero empathy for Elmer here and don’t blame Blueberries for refusing to buyout these contracts.

Reactions: MS

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012

alignment.

Yes, this is % it. I’ve thought this for a while and I think it best explains what’s happened. Essentially, both Blueberries and Elmer are super incompetent but both are aligned in their incompetence. I genuinely think that when Elmer talks about how important it is to sign the Beagles, Roussels, Sutters, etc., Blueberries is absolutely on the same page.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

For the good things.

The bad would be good too but Gillis or Aqua.

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
They changed course and refused to allow buyouts that would have set other moves in motion.

There was a recent article in the athletic where Drance referenced it, I also happen to know someone who knows a higher up who told me this before, but it's all out there.

You seem really friendly.

Let me remind you of something about 'this forum I inexplicably come back to' I was here first and I have watched the level of discourse plummet to a cultish hatred. I hope to be here still when this eventually passes.

Before you jump down my throat in your very kind way and say, 'but of course we hate Benning, the team sucks' etc. Yes, the team sucks and it's time for him to go. But it's also a f***ing hobby, and one can point out his foibles without exaggerating or lying about them like so many on here do.

We can do what we want..... and for knowing someone, that give you what? Fly on the wall status, he said she said. I think your take on the issue of Benning's tenure is sad. It's 8 years and the team has spun circles...

BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT OWNERS! To bad, Benning sucks. Don't care what hand he was dealt. So the junk contracts he signed, led to where ownership said no we are not cleaning up your mistakes, work it out. And he couldn't, so blame ownership? Wow.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
There is no doubt that FA is absolutely a problem and a terrible owner. However Benning is way more an issue. As it’s been pointed out by many, not letting Benning by out previous mistakes and signing new mistakes instead of keeping what good he does have is pretty laughable.

Reactions: Paper Bag

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Naslund is probably right about how ownership didn't allow for certain buyouts that would have maybe enabled keeping one of those players, but that doesn't take away that the team would have still been shit last year with or without Toffoli.

Drance has referenced it.

They still had incredibly poor salary cap allocation and the team would have still been morally in the dumps without Markstrom and Tanev.

So, blaming ownership for everything is incredibly stupid. Benning could have done way better with what he had available - even if he wasn't given permission to perform the buyout/trades he wanted to or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad