Post-Game Talk: Penguins def. Canucks - 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
We had really bad locker room issues starting in 15-16 but as the Sedins were consummate professionals, it was hidden extremely well.

The bad 15-16 locker room issues led to Jake becoming Jake and Jared becoming Jared and the Canucks utterly failing at rebuilding.

I suppose that’s a fair point, too.

Reactions: geebaan

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, I actually watched that. I keep hoping that every crap game I watch will be the last before Aquaman finally pulls the plug, but somehow it never is.

I'm having a very, very hard time trying to think of a sloppier team I've seen at the NHL level. In their own zone their play just crumbles. Whiffs, misses, giveaways, nobody on the puck, nothing going right. There are traces of individual efforts here and there, but the team's clearly spinning out of control. Coaching is gone. Green's a dead man walking, and the assistants except for Ian Clarke all should be too.

This is what hitting bottom looks like.

But boy, good thing they didn't try to rebuild and create a losing culture like Edmonton, huh? Yeah. Sure.

Reactions: B-rock

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
No kidding. Even with bad teams over the past few years, it hasn’t felt like we’ve had massive locker room problems - and now it does.

This is where that 2020 off season stings hard. Losing all of Tanev, Toffoli, Stecher and Markstrom in one fell swoop was a lot of locker room leadership and character vets walking away.
The worst part is that Toffoli was targeted by Benning, yet couldn't think far ahead enough to think about managing the cap to retain him. He knew these players were important, he was just too incompetent and dim-witted to retain them.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
The worst part is that Toffoli was targeted by Benning, yet couldn't think far ahead enough to think about managing the cap to retain him. He knew these players were important, he was just too incompetent and dim-witted to retain them.
I'm not defending Benning when I say that this is fantasy nonsense.

What happened was the Aquillini group totally changed direction from spending a lot of money and wanting to rush a rebuild to total austerity because they weren't making money due to the pandemic. Yes, a billionaire family decided that ruining the future in order to make the next quarter look financially less bad was prudent.

They refused to facilitate buyouts that would have allowed us to keep Tanev and Toffoli, which is what Benning wanted to do.

Now, Benning has to go and Green does too, but pretending that it's because he's just too dumb to have a plan in place for 6 months is a childish perspective on the world. I swear some people in these threads think they are children in a movie for kids where every adult is just obviously stupid.

It's more complex than that and ultimately sadder. If the problem really was just Benning, then firing him would solve it. How do you fix a dipshit slum landlord ownership? You can't. We're like Buffalo unless another family member wrests control from Franceso and institutes a real president.

I have been a die hard for more than 25 years and the only other time that was quite this bleak was 97-98 and at least then a bunch of heads rolled.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I see Sekeres is speculating that there’s something of a competing leadership role between Horvat and Miller. He feels Horvat is seen as the “company man” whereas Miller is more “stick it to the man”.

Obviously it’s speculation and Sekeres’ track record is spotty at best with inside scoops. But it certainly feels, especially with Miller’s interview answer today, that there’s a divide in the room.

horvat/green. the rest of the team+miller against green? its better to fire him now. plane rides dressing rooms must be awfully quiet. if there is a divide in the room.

Gary Valk (who is familiar with players and dressing rooms) just tweeted
"The Canucks in my opinion have a team that have a bunch of individuals who have never had to work for anything their whole life. Now that adversity is hit they are dazed and confused."

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
No kidding. Even with bad teams over the past few years, it hasn’t felt like we’ve had massive locker room problems - and now it does.

This is where that 2020 off season stings hard. Losing all of Tanev, Toffoli, Stecher and Markstrom in one fell swoop was a lot of locker room leadership and character vets walking away.

it is now clear we have never recovered from that.

apart from the on ice impact, the key players to differing degrees quit when that happened and have not come back.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
horvat/green. the rest of the team+miller against green? its better to fire him now. plane rides dressing rooms must be awfully quiet. if there is a divide in the room.

Gary Valk (who is familiar with players and dressing rooms) just tweeted
"The Canucks in my opinion have a team that have a bunch of individuals who have never had to work for anything their whole life. Now that adversity is hit they are dazed and confused."

I saw that Tweet from Valk - I am wondering if he meant the players, or the ownership group, actually.

If it’s the players, it comes off as incredibly tone deaf. Making the NHL requires a ton of hard work and sacrifice, as he well knows. There might be a rift or an issue or some personality clashes, to be sure. But, to label a whole team as “people who never had to work for anything” is the pot calling the kettle black.

Now, if it’s about ownership, that reads differently. The Aquilinis arrived with silver spoons in hand thanks to their father’s fortune. It might have been a pointed comment meant for them.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

Not only does it sting hard - doing that has clearly divided the room and this is getting close to Captain America: Civil War territory.

This is worse than the Messier years.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
@Pastor Of Muppetz can you tell us why Miller’s comments aren’t a big deal? I eagerly await.
It will be spun that yes, this is a big deal, but it is entirely the players fault for not being more professional, the coaches fault, the owner's fault, and maybe even the fans. Everyone will be at fault for this, the floods, COVID still, everything, except Jim Benning.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Drance to Miller: "Is everyone buying in right now?" Miller couldn't or didn't answer the question. Spoke volumes. also there was a postgame article regarding the aqualinni brothers butting heads.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I saw that Tweet from Valk - I am wondering if he meant the players, or the ownership group, actually.

If it’s the players, it comes off as incredibly tone deaf. Making the NHL requires a ton of hard work and sacrifice, as he well knows. There might be a rift or an issue or some personality clashes, to be sure. But, to label a whole team as “people who never had to work for anything” is the pot calling the kettle black.

Now, if it’s about ownership, that reads differently. The Aquilinis arrived with silver spoons in hand thanks to their father’s fortune. It might have been a pointed comment meant for them.

Based on Valk's history he was probably referring to the players. And as you say, tone-deaf. But it's exactly correct in referring to ownership and management.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I guess I'm the only one reading it wrong 'cause to me it seemed like Miller was more annoyed with the question than anything.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm not defending Benning when I say that this is fantasy nonsense.

What happened was the Aquillini group totally changed direction from spending a lot of money and wanting to rush a rebuild to total austerity because they weren't making money due to the pandemic. Yes, a billionaire family decided that ruining the future in order to make the next quarter look financially less bad was prudent.

They refused to facilitate buyouts that would have allowed us to keep Tanev and Toffoli, which is what Benning wanted to do.

Now, Benning has to go and Green does too, but pretending that it's because he's just too dumb to have a plan in place for 6 months is a childish perspective on the world. I swear some people in these threads think they are children in a movie for kids where every adult is just obviously stupid.

It's more complex than that and ultimately sadder. If the problem really was just Benning, then firing him would solve it. How do you fix a dipshit slum landlord ownership? You can't. We're like Buffalo unless another family member wrests control from Franceso and institutes a real president.

I have been a die hard for more than 25 years and the only other time that was quite this bleak was 97-98 and at least then a bunch of heads rolled.
We spent 8M+ on Hamonic, Holtby and Virtanen. There was enough to retain Tanev and Toffoli, Benning was just too f***ing dumb and prioritize the wrong guys.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I see Sekeres is speculating that there’s something of a competing leadership role between Horvat and Miller. He feels Horvat is seen as the “company man” whereas Miller is more “stick it to the man”.

Obviously it’s speculation and Sekeres’ track record is spotty at best with inside scoops. But it certainly feels, especially with Miller’s interview answer today, that there’s a divide in the room.

Would really suck if Horvat was part of the problem. I want to cheer for the guy lol.

What a toxic situation that would be, especially if the majority of players were on Miller's side (which I assume they are based on their lackluster play).

Paradise Circus

May 27, 2010
YVR
let's just make sure not to trade Miller or anyone until the deadline so we can actually get some good value for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad