Post-Game Talk: Penguins at Rangers - Game 2 - April 18 (Series tied 1-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Perfect Paradox

Beyond Good and Evil
Aug 16, 2007
New York
Didn't we learn anything last year? It's one loss.

Don't buy into the anti-hype how the Penguins are the worst team in history.

Exactly. The main reason (outside of the polar hive mind on this board) as to why this board is in total panic mode over a one goal loss is because people expected the Pens to roll over and die once the playoffs began.

Despite missing Maata and Letang, the Penguins have a great forward group that has struggled to produce at an unsustainably low rate. They're going to score goals, tighten up their defensive game and give their best effort when they realize they have to win or go home and have performed below expectations for so long.

It's one game where the defense performed like crap compared to how they usually do. The Pens converted an incredibly high percentage of quality chances. Hard to believe they'll be able to score at that kind of rate again.

Relax. Still plenty of hockey left to be played in this series.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Anyone notice 80% of the time when we start the power play, we do the following:

- Lose the face-off in the offensive zone
- Enemy Clears the puck
- As a result, we usually never get started on the PP until there is about 1:40 left in it

Imagine if we could win some PP face-offs in the O-zone and set-up or start firing away immediately. I'd bet we have quite a few more PP goals this season if that were the case.

But faceoffs aren't that important! (Sarcasm)

Ex Officer Friendly

Got Nothin To Say
Apr 27, 2012
New York, NY
To blame Glass just cause he isnt as good as Sheppard is unfair (looking at Game 2 alone) Glass certainly is not the best skill wise... but last night the effort was actually there

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
To blame Glass just cause he isnt as good as Sheppard is unfair (looking at Game 2 alone) Glass certainly is not the best skill wise... but last night the effort was actually there

Hm, hopefully AV use his best players, but in my opinion T. Glass ain't this season.
6 pts in 66 games with -12.

- Sheppard have 2 goals in 14 games which is not great with -1, but he have some pts in last year playoffs. :)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Our PP problem isn't setting up. I honestly don't know what the problem is. Probably because all our best offensive players, sans Nash, are playmakers. Yandle, Zucc, Stepan, Brassard, Boyle, St. Louis.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I thought Glass was one of the guys who showed up last night on a night where you could count the guys who showed up on one hand.

Sure we can pretend he's why we lost if we want, but that's skirting bigger issues.

I don't think he's why we lost, but we can ice a better lineup than we did if we scratch him and play Sheppard. At this point, why is the team not icing the best lineup possible?

Whiskers*

Tanner Glass is the least of our problems! AV needs to get Nash, Zucc, MSL, and Kreider going. All four of them have been awful in the first 2 games. I thought Fast, Glass, Miller, and Stepan were the only forwards going last night.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Our PP problem isn't setting up. I honestly don't know what the problem is. Probably because all our best offensive players, sans Nash, are playmakers. Yandle, Zucc, Stepan, Brassard, Boyle.

Maybe try Dan Boyle again - he is very experienced on PP usually.
I know that both Ryan Mc. & Yandle have 2 pts though.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Btw our face-off % this season on the PP was 48.8%

Our ScoringChancesFor [PP] are very bad, like Bottom-5 bad.

ShotsFor...7th. So, very good. Draw from that what you will.

Shooting%...28th. <<< Welp, there you have it.

Last edited:

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Feels like our power play's main problem this year has been consistency. I thought it's looked better in the playoffs this year, and we do have two power play goals to show for it. But it's not consistency by way of maintaining a success rate, but it's about continuing to play the power play as though you expect to score every time. You need your guys to believe it's on the pk to stop them, not for them to solve the pk. It's a mindset. If you think the other way around, you start overpassing, hesitating, picking corners, and surrendering momentum to the other team. AV always preaches that scoring on a power play isn't the be all end all of its effectiveness. Does it give your team momentum? Does it get you playing on you toes? Were you taking it to the opposition?

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
It's all about putting the best possible lineup on the ice, isn't it? Then Sheppard > Glass.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

So here's my question. Why is it so popular to say that we're lucky due to our 5 on 5 shooting percentage but the low PP shooting percentage isn't considered bad luck? Not that it evens out, but still...

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
Hm, hopefully AV use his best players, but in my opinion T. Glass ain't this season.
6 pts in 66 games with -12.

- Sheppard have 2 goals in 14 games which is not great with -1, but he have some pts in last year playoffs. :)
Slats said specifically that he liked Sheppard's play in the playoffs and that's why he picked him up.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
So here's my question. Why is it so popular to say that we're lucky due to our 5 on 5 shooting percentage but the low PP shooting percentage isn't considered bad luck? Not that it evens out, but still...
My theory? We have a ton of depth and all our playermakers are still capable at finishing 5-on-5. Also our main finisher, Nash, doesn't score on the PP, relative to his output. 6PPGs.

I just don't think we have enough pure finishers for a good PP.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

per 60 we're still right near the bottom in scoring chances, but with company like CHI, TBL, NSH, and MTL.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
My theory? We have a ton of depth and all our playermakers are still capable at finishing 5-on-5. Also our main finisher, Nash, doesn't score on the PP, relative to his output. 6PPGs.

This PP could have Weber, Crosby, AO, Karlsson, etc. And it'd still somehow suck..:laugh:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Might have too many cooks in the kitchen as well. We have a lot of cerebral players...Hayes, Brassard, Stepan, Zucc, Boyle, Yandle,

Idk, PP's are a strange thing. If you look through the standings, a good PP% doesn't correlate with being a good team really.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago

Tell that to Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2