Post-Game Talk: Penguins at Rangers - Game 2 - April 18 (Series tied 1-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfy*

Those massage bags are just nonsense. Put the players in a Turkish bath, very hot water with minerals. Will look like a cooked crab for a while, but muscles will be back in shape.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marcus AKA Kluivert

Dec 19, 2014
I really don't know why any of you are surprised.

We played a lot of games like this in the RS, and it was all "WHO CARES WERE #1!!11!!!" Yeah well........

The reason for the "who cares" mentailty was basically that after every stinker we came back and won, if we do that tonight and on wednesday I can live the "performance" in game 2 but yeah if we lose tonight...different story.

Last edited:

Marcus AKA Kluivert

Dec 19, 2014
Good question.

Generally speaking:

Miller = Callahan. Maybe Cally would be a little better. But I'm cool with this one.

Hayes > Richards. At least in the regular season. Brad had unique offensive chops, but so weak in other areas.

D. Boyle < Stralman. It's been gone over a million times. Stralman did very well in last year's playoffs. I'll never understand why they didn't try harder to keep him.

Fast < B. Boyle. Brian was a great playoff performer on the fourth line. Fast is OK though. And Brian seemed to want to leave. This one we have to live with. I'm glad they were able to bring up someone competent to fill this role.

And last but not least,

Glass << Dorsett. What can you say.

I would add Pouliot and substract Callahan if we want to truly compare last years playoff squad to this one.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Losing Stralman for Boyle really stings. Still never understood that move even if I get what they were trying to do.

Brian Boyle didn't want to come back to the Rangers for whatever reason, so can't fault the Rangers there. But, having him as the 4th line LW over we know who would be amazing.

Marcus AKA Kluivert

Dec 19, 2014
Losing Stralman for Boyle really stings. Still never understood that move even if I get what they were trying to do.

Brian Boyle didn't want to come back to the Rangers for whatever reason, so can't fault the Rangers there. But, having him as the 4th line LW over we know who would be amazing.

I Think the problem with Stralman was that due to Florida not having any income tax we had offer more than what Tampa did (although cant say that with total certainty since it seemed as if Stralman wanted to stay here) and with our cap issues it became almost impossible to keep him.

With that said, almost impossible is not good enough because he was so good for us that we should have used some creative ways to keep him. Glass and Boyles salaries would be a start...

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I Think the problem with Stralman was that due to Florida not having any income tax we had offer more than what Tampa did (although cant say that with total certainty since it seemed as if Stralman wanted to stay here) and with our cap issues it became almost impossible to keep him.

With that said, almost impossible is not good enough because he was so good for us that we should have used some creative ways to keep him. Glass and Boyles salaries would be a start...

From what I heard, he never even considered Florida until he was sure the Rangers didn't want him back. He then started looking at other locations.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The problem with having Glass in the lineup over Sheppard is that it neuters our 4th line's ability to eat hard minutes.

He doesn't win any puck battles. We literally cannot possess the puck past the point of him having to win a battle.

If he was running around like a wrecking ball, making the Pens pay for every inch of ice, I might feel differently, but he isn't. He's not smart enough to anticipate the play and line up the puck carrier.

What is the point in having Glass in the lineup if he's going to be far outdone (in the physicality department) by a guy like JT Miller?

Also, speaking of Miller, he is absolutely beasting thus far in this series. Him and Kreider have been our best forwards by far. They need to start showing up on the score sheet.

Marcus AKA Kluivert

Dec 19, 2014
Good point.

The post I was replying to mentioned Callahan - that's what put me on that path.

Someone else mentioned Moore v Yandle as well - another oversight.

To sum up, what we have is.

Moore vs Yandle - Big advantage Yandle
Boyle vs Fast - Advantage Boyle
Carcillo vs Glass - Advantage Carcillo
Hayes vs Richards - Small advantage Hayes (would be bigger but I factored in playoff experience)
Pouliot vs J.T Miller - Even (considering how Miller has played so far this series)
Boyle vs Strålman - Advantage Strålman

All in all I think we have a small upgrade on defense and a small upgrade down the middle but our 4th line is weakened by a good margin, a margin that could be reduced by playing Sheppard over Glass since;
Carcillo vs Sheppard - Even (if not small advantage Sheppard).

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012

Hayes vs Richards - Small advantage Hayes (would be bigger but I factored in playoff experience)
Pouliot vs J.T Miller - even (considering how Miller has played so far this series)

All in all I think we have a small upgrade on defense and a small upgrade down the middle but our 4th line is weakened by a good margin, that could be reduced by playing Sheppard since;
Carcillo vs Sheppard - even (if not small advantage Sheppard).

that sounds about right.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
We looked out of sync from the get go of game 2. Not to mention, Hayes has looked like **** for both games of the series, someone needs to created a missing poster for Marty St. Louis, and Crosby did what Crosby does.

If we come back tonight with a strong effort we will win the game.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Pouliot vs J.T Miller - Even (considering how Miller has played so far this series)

All in all I think we have a small upgrade on defense and a small upgrade down the middle but our 4th line is weakened by a good margin, a margin that could be reduced by playing Sheppard over Glass since;
Carcillo vs Sheppard - Even (if not small advantage Sheppard).

- Brian Boyle scored for Tampa in the first game - many teams including pengs 4th line have contributed on the scoreboard so far in this playoffs.

Marcus AKA Kluivert

Dec 19, 2014
- Brian Boyle scored for Tampa in the first game - many teams including pengs 4th line have contributed on the scoreboard so far in this playoffs.

So did ours last year, in a huge way as well. Carcillo GW vs the Flyers in both game 3 and game 7 and Moore GW vs the Habs in game 6, dont expect any of those with Glass on that line.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We are playing like we think we deserve a bye to 2nd round

If/when we decide to play desperate hockey we'll smoke the penguins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway