Post-Game Talk: Penguins at Rangers - Game 2 - April 18 (Series tied 1-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
This team rarely wins two playoff games in a row.

I think is a point that is overlooked sometimes around here. Wouldn't "this" be the first time we're seeing "this" team in the playoffs? Granted, there a re a lot of the same players but a year later and with some new players on board, its bound to have to play something into the dynamics of the team.
I've seen too many games at MSG where this roster has taken what seemed like periods off at times as well as playing down to opponents. Having said that, we've seen them bounce back from losses and go on ridiculous runs in the past. Think everyone needs to breathe after Game 2. Game 2 people and the series is tied. Relax. Some of you are already making offseason moves and draft day trade scenarios.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Didn't we learn anything last year? It's one loss.

Don't buy into the anti-hype how the Penguins are the worst team in history.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Same thing every year.

"We're going 16-0 bro. AINEC. Every opponent sucks."

"Lost a game. Season's over."

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone thought the Rangers weren't going to lose a game. They were never going to sweep.

The Penguins also aren't nearly as bad as people were saying. They have Malkin and Crosby AND Fleury has been pretty good this season. Hell, he wasn't that bad last season in the playoffs either.

I still think the Rangers win this series. It'll be a big disappointment if they don't.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY
Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone thought the Rangers weren't going to lose a game. They were never going to sweep.

The Penguins also aren't nearly as bad as people were saying. They have Malkin and Crosby AND Fleury has been pretty good this season. Hell, he wasn't that bad last season in the playoffs either.

I still think the Rangers win this series. It'll be a big disappointment if they don't.
They're pretty bad/ depleted

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

They were made out to be on par with Buffalo so if they lose, it's not a big deal, and if they win, it's the greatest triumph. The Rangers are favorites but they have the 2 best centers in the world and Fleury is very good when he's composed.

Yeah they stumbled into the playoffs, but that's why they call it a new season.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

This discussion keeps going around in circles. I believe the majority in the pre-play off poll said 5 games, and they could still take it in 5 games.

The problem isn't that they lost. The problem is that they played significantly below their ability against a weak team, and the Rangers didn't look like super stars during the game 1 win either.

This a moderated yet free speech board. I understand that there are several outliers in each discussion during emotional times, but it's very hard to have a discussion when a counter argument, from either side of the argument, is fringe opinions.

I'm not saying you are the problem. I'm just following the flow of the last few posts.

Patrick Swayze

ROAD HOUSE
Jul 2, 2013
Belgium
Hunwick was exposed tonight.

The whole team played like they spent the last 2 days planning their flight to the SCF and as if these games don't matter. What a lethargic effort. Very uninspired.

Almost everyone was off. Very depressing to see.

Crosby laying down on the ice like he was dead after receiving ZERO head contact and barely and contact at all was a joke.

The PHANTOM penalty on Hagelin was the turning point in the game. What an atrocious penalty call. Penguins fans whine and complain about uncalled obstruction that occurs in every single playoff game, what happens in game 2? Refs on the lookout for penalties to call (both teams, mind you) and end up calling Hagelin for a trip when the Pens player just FALLS DOWN on his own. What a joke.

All in all, extremely discouraging effort from the team.

Only positive is Nash scored a playoff goal.

I can't believe a team that had 7 of the first 8 power plays given in a game is complaining about officiating. I really just can't believe it. Hopefully you are the minority in thinking that the zebras cost you this game (even though other NYR fans have also posted this prior to your comment).

But wait, let me guess, all of the first 7 calls against the Penguins were all great calls and the 1 out of the 8 against NYR wasn't fair?

And people can say Sid is a baby all they want and start with the "Crosby sucks" chants, but does that make what Hagelin did legal?? You can say all you want about him being a whiner but that doesnt mean you can hit him that way completely away from the puck, especially after the refs set the standard with all the calls early in the game.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I thought Glass was one of the guys who showed up last night on a night where you could count the guys who showed up on one hand.

Sure we can pretend he's why we lost if we want, but that's skirting bigger issues.

BarbaraAlphanse

I thought Glass was one of the guys who showed up last night on a night where you could count the guys who showed up on one hand.

Sure we can pretend he's why we lost if we want, but that's skirting bigger issues.

Guys I thought didn't show up:

MSL
Hayes
Fast
Boyle

Guys who needed to play better but didn't negatively impact the team:

Zucc
Nash
McDonagh
Yandle

Rangers haven't been urgent. It has been a problem all year. They go on a torrent stretch, then coast. It shows over confidence. The team is usually very good with coming back down to earth and earning their wins after 1-3 games playing at this level.

I'm not worried. I wouldn't be surprised to see AV scratch a player who needs to score and put Sheppard in for an "effort pays off" message.

My guess would be MSL of Hayes. It is easier to scratch Hayes than MSL as a coach. You run into Richards - Torts problems if you scratch MSL.

I can see a few line shifts. Hayes sitting. Sheppard centering.

Boyle needs a wake up call, too. His defense on the Crosby goal was HORRIBLE.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Why the hell would it be a problem if you scratch MSL? That means you just don't resign him after this year, it doesn't bring any sort of long term problems. He's going to be 40 years old and he's playing like absolute garbage, like he's 40, and is becoming a liability every time he's on the ice in every situation. You scratch MSL before you scratch Hayes, period.

Unfortunately, it's likely AV will scratch the wrong guy. And I'd honestly scratch MSL for Sheppard before scratching someone like Glass for Sheppard. Put Fast on Hayes' line and put Sheppard with Moore and Glass. MSL just doesn't fit anywhere anymore and he kills every line he's on, including the PP line. AV should swallow any sort of pride or respect and do what's best for the team and what would give the best chance for the team to win, and at this point, MSL is by far the worst forward on the ice for the Rangers, and that includes Tanner Glass.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I can't believe a team that had 7 of the first 8 power plays given in a game is complaining about officiating. I really just can't believe it. Hopefully you are the minority in thinking that the zebras cost you this game (even though other NYR fans have also posted this prior to your comment).

But wait, let me guess, all of the first 7 calls against the Penguins were all great calls and the 1 out of the 8 against NYR wasn't fair?

And people can say Sid is a baby all they want and start with the "Crosby sucks" chants, but does that make what Hagelin did legal?? You can say all you want about him being a whiner but that doesnt mean you can hit him that way completely away from the puck, especially after the refs set the standard with all the calls early in the game.

I wouldn't argue that wasn't an interference because technically it was, but the flop by Crosby when Hagelin barely bumped in to him was comical. The acting on the ice following the flop was even better.

As far as the penalties called go, the Pens were very undisciplined and almost every call on them was legitimate. There was one shift where the Pens took THREE consecutive penalties and they were only called on the third one.

The two penalties called on the Rangers, especially the first one, were jokes.

That said the Rangers lost because they couldn't bury a garbage Pens team filled with injuries and scrubs.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Yes true, it's not Glass fault that we lost last night - maybe rest J.Fast.
I would used Sheppard in this playoffs.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY

****tsburg SUCKS! They deserved many more calls!

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
The Rangers didn't lose cause of Glass, but that doesn't mean Shepp shouldn't be in the lineup over him. The Rangers are still missing a good 4th line compared to last season.

KOVALEV022473

Feb 24, 2014
Tomkins Cove, NY

Your right about one thing, the calls against ****tsburg were all legit. As a matter of fact, they deserved three or four more! Additionally, two of the calls against the Rangers were phantom ********!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad