Post-Game Talk: Penguins at Rangers - Game 2 - April 18 (Series tied 1-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I'm not hitting the panic button, but the reality is that the team was very very casual last night.

The soft turnovers are alarming... on that 3rd goal Hayes was actually surprised the puck was near him even though he was in position to make a play.. there needs to be a better sense of urgency. Kreider not bulling his way around even though he could.

There isn't a single defensemen that can handle the physicality that Kreider can bring.. he just didn't bring it.

I'm jumpy now - I don't answer phones, nor door bell before
this serie is over. :D

Rangers second games in playoffs. :banghead:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I am an advocate of playing Sheppard. He has size, will pay a physical style which will help in winning those puck battles (Rangers looked pretty poor at that) and has shown the skill set I think is suitable for his role. He can get the puck and then do something with it. This is fact, we have seen it.

It would be a good change, but the team needs its head on straight. Time to get serious, which they were not in game 2.

I agree Sheppard would be able to bring some energy and some physicality but we all know he won't be given a chance. I love d Moore but lets face it our fourth line is below average and brings very little. I know I probably am in minority but I would even sit msl for Sheppard since glass will never leave the lineup

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
After what I've seen these two games I have serious doubts about this team's cup chances. Prove me wrong, Rangers.

Not that I'm not concerned, but what did you think last year? How many games did you think we dominated this year? This team wins close games, that's what they're great at. Unfortunately, they don't look great most of the time doing it, but they usually win.

On top of that, how many guys played like **** yesterday

MSL
Nash
Hayes
Hags
Kreider

And yet they still almost beat them. These first two games they've basically played to half of their ability and the series is 1-1 and could very easily be 2-0. They should have won yesterday. Losing when you're on the PP for a full period is unacceptable. Thankfully, you're not going to lose many games where you continuously dominate the man advantage and frankly, it looks these first two games were not a mistake in the PP advantage. Pitt is just not disciplined and they're not as good as us, hence the parades to the box.

Obviously they have to get their **** together and fast, but if they get their game remotely to where it should be, this series shouldn't go more than 5, let alone 6.

I agree Sheppard would be able to bring some energy and some physicality but we all know he won't be given a chance. I love d Moore but lets face it our fourth line is below average and brings very little. I know I probably am in minority but I would even sit msl for Sheppard since glass will never leave the lineup

Someone mentioned this yesterday and I agree, I would play Shepp over a few guys at this point, MSL is certainly one of them. That absolutely won't happen though. Our 4th line is below average, however, removed Glass and adding Shepp to it would instantly make it above average. I however, have no faith in AV to do so.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I hate that we're all just accepting that AV is choosing to put out a weaker squad than is necessary.

What can we do at this point? Some people here are even still defending him to a degree. It's beyond hopeless and not even worth discussing anymore.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I hate that we're all just accepting that AV is choosing to put out a weaker squad than is necessary.

I hear your frustration but I think most us have pulled our collective hair out over this matter. On the other hand, I don't think it's beating a dead horse because I believe 1000 percent that putting Sheppard on that 4th line will give us a goal here and there which could be the difference in a game. We need the 4th line to contribute in playoffs and with 2/3rd of that line having any kind of offensive competence it's like trying to score shorthanded. It's not gonna happen

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
What can we do at this point? Some people here are even still defending him to a degree. It's beyond hopeless and not even worth discussing anymore.

Yeah, there's nothing we can do. I've had to accept it as well. It's just so frustrating. Even that little boost could be the difference IMO.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I hear your frustration but I think most us have pulled our collective hair out over this matter. On the other hand, I don't think it's beating a dead horse because I believe 1000 percent that putting Sheppard on that 4th line will give us a goal here and there which could be the difference in a game. We need the 4th line to contribute in playoffs and with 2/3rd of that line having any kind of offensive competence it's like trying to score shorthanded. It's not gonna happen

Exactly. Fast is worth his ice time just based on defense and PK skills, but Dom can produce more offense given at least one line mate who is capable in that zone. Sheppard is more than good enough to help him out.

NYR89

Jul 29, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
How many people said the series against the Penguins was over last year when it was 3-1?

It's one game. The Rangers were the best road team in the league. Chill out.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
I felt a little bit better after being reminded of our Game 2 winning percentage after taking game 1. It's just kind of what this team does. But why? Different coaches, different players... why do the same problems remain? Anemic powerplay, unable to close out a series... it's so frustrating!

We need to win these next two on the road. No question. I hope this team understands what is expected of them.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
How many people said the series against the Penguins was over last year when it was 3-1?

It's one game. The Rangers were the best road team in the league. Chill out.

I remember I did. Still, we should not be tied with these guys. We just shouldn't

TriFF51

USA Hockey
Aug 21, 2009
New York
If we continue to be **** on the powerplay pittsburgh can win...If we can get that going we should win it. **** 7 games.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013
I felt a little bit better after being reminded of our Game 2 winning percentage after taking game 1. It's just kind of what this team does. But why? Different coaches, different players... why do the same problems remain? Anemic powerplay, unable to close out a series... it's so frustrating!

We need to win these next two on the road. No question. I hope this team understands what is expected of them.

Same fans. LOL.

Sirius Vivace

Mar 15, 2015
If we continue to be **** on the powerplay pittsburgh can win...If we can get that going we should win it. **** 7 games.

Anyone notice 80% of the time when we start the power play, we do the following:

- Lose the face-off in the offensive zone
- Enemy Clears the puck
- As a result, we usually never get started on the PP until there is about 1:40 left in it

Imagine if we could win some PP face-offs in the O-zone and set-up or start firing away immediately. I'd bet we have quite a few more PP goals this season if that were the case.

OnlyTruth

Objectivity&Justice
Dec 2, 2013

Disagree. We scored enough to win last night. If we lose it wont be bacause of scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad