Post-Game Talk: Penguins 6, Avalanche 3 - A Hattrick of Almost Goals for ZAR (And Actual Goals for Horny)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I just want to watch Horny try a skills competition. I honestly think there are hockey players in juniors with 100x better skills than 72. But not a single player on the face of this earth has that dude's heart. I think he's the rare specimen that actually exists that works at 110% effort. Literally above his maximum effort. I can't even put it into proper words. That guy makes himself an elite athlete in a world where everyone trains like freaks by working harder than every other person.

Someone help me articulate this better.

I could see Horny appear as a contestant on Naked and Afraid...any survivalist show actually...would give Bear Grylls a run for his money....

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I just want to watch Horny try a skills competition. I honestly think there are hockey players in juniors with 100x better skills than 72. But not a single player on the face of this earth has that dude's heart. I think he's the rare specimen that actually exists that works at 110% effort. Literally above his maximum effort. I can't even put it into proper words. That guy makes himself an elite athlete in a world where everyone trains like freaks by working harder than every other person.

When he came into the league he did not play like he does now. He thought he wouldn’t make it in the NHL unless he changed his game and it’s worked wonders.

He just has that drive where he believes he can beat anyone in a battle and he usually does. I always pick out a play of his that’s just so Hornqvist. It was the 2017 playoffs (can’t remember who against) and we had been stuck in our own end for a while and everyone was exhausted. There was a 2 on 2 puck battle near the blue line but no one could clear it.

Enter Hornqvist! He was exhausted, god knows how long they’d been on the ice for this shift but he skated right through the 4 guys around the puck taking the puck with him and getting it out of the zone. He was like a running back crashing through players to get the first down. Everyone was able to change after he got the puck out.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

I could see Horny appear as a contestant on Naked and Afraid...any survivalist show actually...would give Bear Grylls a run for his money....

I think it’s a combination of a maniacal competitive drive (don’t forget he was Mr.Irrelevant in draft) and smelling salts. Some guys just know how to flip a switch mentally and go apeshit when they step on the field/court/ice.

Also would add that I wouldn’t be tooooo surprised if Horny hit the slopes with some frequency.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
New Taylor Swift lyrics:
“I don't know about you but I'm loving 72.
Everything will be alright, if we just keep scoring like 72”

DGJmDkWV0AAQ2HV

DGJmDkSUQAEK2fw

What? What is this? Who is this? Why didn't you elaborate on this? Why hasn't anyone else elaborated on this? What kind of thread is this?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
When he came into the league he did not play like he does now. He thought he wouldn’t make it in the NHL unless he changed his game and it’s worked wonders.

He just has that drive where he believes he can beat anyone in a battle and he usually does. I always pick out a play of his that’s just so Hornqvist. It was the 2017 playoffs (can’t remember who against) and we had been stuck in our own end for a while and everyone was exhausted. There was a 2 on 2 puck battle near the blue line but no one could clear it.

Enter Hornqvist! He was exhausted, god knows how long they’d been on the ice for this shift but he skated right through the 4 guys around the puck taking the puck with him and getting it out of the zone. He was like a running back crashing through players to get the first down. Everyone was able to change after he got the puck out.
The play that sticks in my mind was in his first season here. Kunitz was gliding in on the forecheck, going through the motions. Horny comes flying past him, almost knocking him over, and forces a turnover behind the net. It was a beautiful sight.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
What? What is this? Who is this? Why didn't you elaborate on this? Why hasn't anyone else elaborated on this? What kind of thread is this?

This was after the 2017 cup win. He took it home to celebrate with it. One of the ladies is his wife.

Here is the family version

DGVk-SRV0AARjAR

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
The Jaded Fan Law.

The amount of posts in the post game thread is inversely proportional to the spread that the Pens win, or lose, by. For each goal difference there are 5o posts, less per goal scored in a win, more per goal given up in a loss.

c69wx.gif
:laugh: I was thinking the same damn thing.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The play that sticks in my mind was in his first season here. Kunitz was gliding in on the forecheck, going through the motions. Horny comes flying past him, almost knocking him over, and forces a turnover behind the net. It was a beautiful sight.

Prime Kunitz and Hornqvist with Sid would’ve been a freight train.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Hornqvist good. ZAR bad. Better?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I get what you're saying. In terms of skills, his shot is average at best. He doesn't have much dangle or vision.

His handeye is actually exceptional though. Not many guys can tip pucks the way he can. And his balance on his skates...he gets position in front of the net and then you just can't get him out of there. Bigger stronger d can't move him. His balance is very good.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
ZAR does do a lot of little things right, he's just too slow and too small to be too effective at this point. I think that with development he will grow into a flawed but capable bottom six winger, but they're playing him like he's already Patric Hornqvist.

Sprong wasn't the answer, but the Pens do need to move one of their excess left d for a more polished middle six winger in order to bump ZAR down.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Also, if we make the playoffs it'll be mainly due to Letang, Hornqvist, and Desmith. Those guys are really dragging a lot of dead weight.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Patric Hornqvist isn't just one of my favorite players (even before he became a Penguin, that trade is probably the happiest I've been outside of our Cup wins in the last 20yrs of getting a player on this team), the guy just never gives up on anything. He gives a 100% every shift, the guy plays every freaking game like its a playoff game.

I hope he retires a Penguin.

#WeAreHorny needs to be his hashtag for every goal he scores. Or anything he does in a game.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If Simon/Rust are both out, i'd slot Brass up with Jake-Sid but not sure if they do that since they didn't do it in game.

They gotta NOT dress one of JJ/Rig and since JJ is firmly in the pk rotation, Rig's gotta sit for me:

Dumo-Tang
Olli-Riiko
JJ-MP

ETA: I don't quite understand or even believe what i see with Rust. Sheahan regressing, fine. But Rusty? Mind boggling. Perhaps it has something to do with the injuries he's sustained in his career. They can add up for a player with Rust's skillset. If they keep him for a good couple months and it's still the same with him, it'd be time to simply move on and give a kid in Wilkes a chance, imo. No need to spend 3.5 on what he's bringing atm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad