Post-Game Talk: Penguins 6, Avalanche 3 - A Hattrick of Almost Goals for ZAR (And Actual Goals for Horny)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
You know when you see these guys with all that equipment on you think "They're like 5'11 and only 190 pounds". Then you see this kind of stuff and realize all that weight is muscle. I get professional athletes should be in top shape but when you see guys that play baseball or even football they don't look that ripped. Hockey players always seem to be in the best of shape out of any of the professional sports.
I don't know, most hockey players look like they're in good shape but many football players are absolutely jacked, depending on position of course. Lineman obviously aren't very lean but those guys have a functional strength that is off the charts.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
This was after the 2017 cup win. He took it home to celebrate with it. One of the ladies is his wife.

Here is the family version

DGVk-SRV0AARjAR
Does she have a tattoo of a shoe on her ankle? Is Hornqvist's wife @ColePens? It all makes so much sense!

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
If Simon/Rust are both out, i'd slot Brass up with Jake-Sid but not sure if they do that since they didn't do it in game.

They gotta NOT dress one of JJ/Rig and since JJ is firmly in the pk rotation, Rig's gotta sit for me:

Dumo-Tang
Olli-Riiko
JJ-MP

ETA: I don't quite understand or even believe what i see with Rust. Sheahan regressing, fine. But Rusty? Mind boggling. Perhaps it has something to do with the injuries he's sustained in his career. They can add up for a player with Rust's skillset. If they keep him for a good couple months and it's still the same with him, it'd be time to simply move on and give a kid in Wilkes a chance, imo. No need to spend 3.5 on what he's bringing atm.
What happened to Simon? I missed it. Also, I saw Rust go down the runway after he was tripped, any indication on what happened to him?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If Rust is also hurt along with Simon, I love the irony of 2 top-9 RWers getting hurt the game after Sprong gets traded :laugh:

Figures, a top-9 RW spot opens up as soon as he's traded somewhere else. I don't know why anyone expected anything else.

I sometimes make predictions here based on what would be the most ironic outcome. It seems about as accurate as anything else.

Anyway, gutted I decided to sleep through this game and missed the celebration of St Hatric's day.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
What happened to Simon? I missed it. Also, I saw Rust go down the runway after he was tripped, any indication on what happened to him?

Simon left in the 2nd i think? Not sure what happened to him. They put Rust up with Jake-Sid for a bit but switched him back and put Sheahan up with Jake-Sid.

Rust got hook/slashed on his leg and when he was going towards the room you could see he was about to smash his stick before the cam switched away.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like the lines the Penguins should be running with are pretty obvious if Rust and Simon are out:

Guentzel-Crosby-Brassard
Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist
ZAR-Sheahan-Kessel
Wilson-Blueger-Grant

They'll probably do something like this, but possibly having Dea up instead of Blueger.

Reactions: Shady Machine

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Let it be known that not even the Penguins blow a 3 goal lead twice in a game.

OT but who saw that Reaves hit on Wilson? Reaves > Brassard.

ILikeTurtles

Sep 2, 2010
Rust got hook/slashed on his leg and when he was going towards the room you could see he was about to smash his stick before the cam switched away.
I saw the stick throw/smash right at the end too. It definitely seemed like he was going down the runway upset with a no-call rather than an injury.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
I love when people **** on Hornqvist goals. "Man that goalie sucked!" And then Hornqvist just scores more and more **** goals. I swear he just flat out wills them in with his big heart. It's amazing how many times we've seen the worst goals of all time and they all belong to 72.
I'm late responding to this but it always irks me when people call his Cup-winning goal "ugly" or "fluky" like it was a letdown. He knew exactly what he was doing, and there's precious few players in the league that could have pulled it off. Awesome goal.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'm late responding to this but it always irks me when people call his Cup-winning goal "ugly" or "fluky" like it was a letdown. He knew exactly what he was doing, and there's precious few players in the league that could have pulled it off. Awesome goal.

I still haven’t really digested the fact that Hornqvist scored a last minute greasy goal against Nashville to win the Cup for Pittsburgh. I’m in 2014 and laughing at the notion still.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Good win against a good team. We certainly need those. The fast start was obviously the key, and then Varley got a little leaky right before we were about to blow it lol. Would still like to see a few wins in a row that don't involve any fluky circumstances (bouncy/weak ass goals) or depending on outside forces (waived off goal on about a 50/50 chance), but that doesn't mean they didn't play well and deliver when they needed to, and that stuff isn't anything they can control.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hornqvist's lack of uhh, creativity with the puck is sometimes infuriating but right now it's exactly what this team needs and what more guys need to be doing. Chip & chase, not passing up shots, going to the net, etc.

Reactions: Andy99

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
One game isn’t the be all and end all but I never understood why Hornqvist and Malkin playing together is perceived to not work?!?

Malkin isn’t a fast player by the way he plays east/west and stick handles. Hornqvist can win the board battles that Hagelin used to win with speed.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
One game isn’t the be all and end all but I never understood why Hornqvist and Malkin playing together is perceived to not work?!?

Malkin isn’t a fast player by the way he plays east/west and stick handles. Hornqvist can win the board battles that Hagelin used to win with speed.

I think largely because it has some very frustrating moments to watch - Malkin's great at making space for other players and Hornqvist frequently wastes that - and possibly some bias to the thought that Malkin needs a Neal/Kessel rather than two grinders, with Hornqvist on Malkin's line usually leading to a two grinder approach.

The stats say different but for a lot of people its a prime example of why they don't cotton to stats.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I think largely because it has some very frustrating moments to watch - Malkin's great at making space for other players and Hornqvist frequently wastes that - and possibly some bias to the thought that Malkin needs a Neal/Kessel rather than two grinders, with Hornqvist on Malkin's line usually leading to a two grinder approach.

The stats say different but for a lot of people its a prime example of why they don't cotton to stats.

They polyester to stats?

I like a Malkin that is not referring to a kessel or a neal. He’s a better 5 on 5 player imo

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Hornqvist's lack of uhh, creativity with the puck is sometimes infuriating but right now it's exactly what this team needs and what more guys need to be doing. Chip & chase, not passing up shots, going to the net, etc.

I feel this isn't an unusual thing and that we have seen this before. I'd love to see the stats where the team is on a losing skid and Hornqvist starts putting up numbers. Sometimes when it's not working you need to go back to basics and play a meat and potatoes game.

Reactions: billybudd and Jacob

Angrrus

May 24, 2017
Big Minus: Pens need to score an avg of 4 or more goals to compete. This is a glaring issue.

I don't get too excited because of this win. The other G obviously had an off night and let softies in in bunches. This is not gonna happen in most nights vs good teams, this one was an aberration.

Still very much doubt Pens, starting with their big boys, are capable of producing consistent enough effort and production to be a serious Cup contender. This team needs either a magical locker room turnaround or multiple player trades to become really good again.

Reactions: BmxHockey

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I got to see this one live. Hornqvist aside, there wasn't a ton to like about the game. The one intriguing thing I saw was Brassard and Guentzel seemed to have some chemistry.

It's very clear that a big change needs to be made with this team right now. We have pieces to do it.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad