Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Senators 3 - Jugs and Canns . . . and Puppies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
?? I probably shouldn’t bother with this because you made your mind up about Simon long ago.

Apparently many of you have decided he's the next Patrick Kane.

That said, I personally see him make really slick plays in tight spaces that I think can be done in a tight checking series. He’s also pretty good on the walls for a smaller guy and willing to get his nose dirty. He needs to learn to finish, but he’s got game and I think meshes well with Sid and Jake. Good news is Sully has 3 options for the RW spot to cycle through depending on fit and matchup.

I see s guy who gets manhandled off the puck way to easily to be on the top line in the playoffs. I have less faith in Sullivan pulling him off that line and he had every reason to do so last year and didn't.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Because he gets points playing with Crosby in the regular season? So did Dupuis.

Outside 2011. Dupuis produced just fine in the playoffs with Sid.

Really don't get why you bring him up.

2010: 8 points in 13 games

2012 6 points in 6 games

2013: 11 points in 15 games

All 5v5

What is there to complain about with Duper aswell?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yes the stats back it up from a Corsi perspective, but we’re talking a relatively small sample size, so you have to see if it holds up.

From an eye test, I don’t see him as aggressively pursuing pucks or driving play. I don’t see him driving the net in the same way Blueger did to create the 1st goal against Tampa the other night. I do agree that he’s a smart player, and his passing ability allows him to work with other talented players - but I believe he needs those superior players to drive offense in order for him to produce. Not sure where you can find what percentage of his points are with which players, but I’d be interested to know.

It’s not just Corsi which is whatever. It’s all of them more importantly the goals for/against, scoring chances and the high danger chances/scoring.

He’s a good possession player and that’s how we want to play. In fact basically everyone’s advanced stats in just about every category goes up with him vs without him.

He keeps pucks alive and he might not drive hard to the net but he’s around there helping set up our two best goal scorers. He’s doing this against the best competition too. Sid doesn’t get easy opposition ever.

I’m not opposed to trying him elsewhere but it’s working right now and I don’t think L1 would score anymore with someone else there so that allows better wingers playing on other lines which is advantageous. If it stops working then we have other players to go there.

Reactions: Riptide

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Probably because he's not the same player today that he was then. It's crazy how that happens.

Or maybe he's another Dupuis/Gibbons/Megnya that can put up points with Crosby in the regular season but is nowhere near good enough in the playoffs. Crazy how easily some forget the past so easily.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Outside 2011. Dupuis produced just fine in the playoffs with Sid.

Really don't get why you bring him up.

2010: 8 points in 13 games

2012 6 points in 6 games

2013: 11 points in 15 games

All 5v5

What is there to complain about with Duper aswell?

How many Cups did it amount to?

Not to mention 2013 doesn't help your argument when Crosby's line got shutout in a sweep.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
So I want to gush over Jake/Sid and even mad credit to Rust, but they have to take a back seat tonight. I HAVE to talk about two guys in particular.

1) Blueger: I think it was @td_ice who said "as advertised" when talking about TB. He was defensively sound and his awareness shows. Then he gave off that amazing offense/support, too, that was talked about in WBS this year. That play to lead to his goal was a perfect example of Cullen doing his thing and TB doing his. They looked to have tremendous chemistry. Hats off and amazing first goal, son.

2) Bjugs: What the hell? Comes off a plane, doesn't meet the team, doesn't warm up, and I thought he was stellar. His reach and skating remind me of Staal. He just moves and he moves well. It's not fast but it's definitely a good pace. The boy can play quick, too. His mind is right there with the speed of the game. I thought he was terrific.

And just because I really can't do it - Sid/Jake/Rust were ****ing awesome! Thought Kessel was great. I liked Simon. I liked pretty much everyone except JJ and Maatta. But damn Sid isn't human. I'm sure of it.

I wanted to like your post, but I am not going to do it after the Maatta bit. He was very good. Probably our best defender (defensively) on the night :).

Lots of good to take from the game, but special teams sucked again, and I dont want to evaluate McCann and Bjugstad after one game. One inarguable fact however is that with those two and Blueger instead of Grant, we are a faster and more tenacious team. Which is good.

Reactions: ColePens and Peat

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
How many Cups did it amount to?

Not to mention 2013 doesn't help your argument when Crosby's line got shutout in a sweep.

There was way more to that than just Dupuis, since they won a Cup with Hornqvist and Sheary with Sid even though both were broken and Sid wasn’t as good.

Reactions: PensandCaps

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
+Sid and Jake continue to roll. Simon looked good on that line tonight, too. That line generated a tonne of chances.

+DeSmith was great. Made some big saves at key moments.

+Bjugstad was great tonight. Big guy who can skate, protect the puck, make plays and shoot. It's a wonder why he's not more productive than he's been. Such a fantastic debut.

+The Bjugstad/Kessel/Rust line was really dangerous tonight.

+Blueger has more career goals in 2 games than Garrett Wilson has in his entire career.

-Jack Johnson was responsible, either directly or indirectly, for 2 of Ottawa's 3 goals tonight. If JR could bring in another top four defender, I'd have so much more faith in our chances.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Or maybe he's another Dupuis/Gibbons/Megnya that can put up points with Crosby in the regular season but is nowhere near good enough in the playoffs. Crazy how easily some forget the past so easily.

Career wise Dupuis scored at a 38 point pace in the regular season and 37 point pace in the playoffs. Megna played 90 seconds with Crosby in his playoff career. Gibbons played 26 minutes with Sid so nothing really (he got a point with Sid).

Dick Sledge

The Tactleneck
Feb 11, 2009
If Little Nicky can keep playing like this it's an absolute steal from what we got out of Brass and Sheahan as well.

Also, Mears "SCOoOOoooOooOoRrrrrrRe" call is still booty cheeks.

Reactions: Peat

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Bjugstad was fantastic. He is an x-factor type player for this team and he played like it tonight. McCann was fast. He's so young in a veteran locker room. I think he could really develop here. He has things you cannot teach.

Find a top 4 defenseman would make this the deadline complete in my book. Finding a top 6 winger to push Simon down the lineup where he probably should be would be a dream. Jack Johnson needs to take a seat for a few games.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
How does the team have power like that? Why would the Police care to do that? They must have 1000 more important things to do.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How does the team have power like that? Why would the Police care to do that? They must have 1000 more important things to do.

Meanwhile, on the other side of town a young man in skinny jeans who goes by the nickname "Cole" got mugged. The robbers were able to get away with an expensive manpurse because of the lack of police presence in the area.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I feel like Brassard always played like he was too good for 3rd line duties, but then he never produced enough to justify his lack of other qualities. Honestly, it's a loser attitude.

Sheahan was ok enough, but epitomized our lack of identity.

What I saw tonight was two guys who brought new energy, but also played within their roles and made the team better. This, from two guys who got there right before puck drop, as opposed to Brassard who spent a calendar year here and never fit into any role or line. Maybe I'm being unfairly critical of Brassard, and it's only been one game, but the difference was noticeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad