Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Senators 3 - Jugs and Canns . . . and Puppies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
It’s not just Corsi which is whatever. It’s all of them more importantly the goals for/against, scoring chances and the high danger chances/scoring.

He’s a good possession player and that’s how we want to play. In fact basically everyone’s advanced stats in just about every category goes up with him vs without him.

He keeps pucks alive and he might not drive hard to the net but he’s around there helping set up our two best goal scorers. He’s doing this against the best competition too. Sid doesn’t get easy opposition ever.

I’m not opposed to trying him elsewhere but it’s working right now and I don’t think L1 would score anymore with someone else there so that allows better wingers playing on other lines which is advantageous. If it stops working then we have other players to go there.

Good post. Complaining about Simon on the first line right now is silly and just plain lazy. We’re trying to establish balance and roles for a cup run. This isn’t a video game.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Meanwhile, on the other side of town a young man in skinny jeans who goes by the nickname "Cole" got mugged. The robbers were able to get away with an expensive manpurse because of the lack of police presence in the area.

Let him get shot..Hockey is way more important...

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Meanwhile, on the other side of town a young man in skinny jeans who goes by the nickname "Cole" got mugged. The robbers were able to get away with an expensive manpurse because of the lack of police presence in the area.

ahahahahahahahahahah
hahahahaha HA

You think Cole would LET go of his designer 'satchel' before death!??!
HA!

He ain't gettin mugged by no one.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Certainly had the potential for a stinker what with the wild day, and I was chewing nails the last few, but it turned out well in the end. Great night for TB, well played for the new guys :thumbu:

if JR is still feeling itchy, I'm sure some desperate team could use a large-ish warm body with a 3OA draft pedigree on "defense" and there's always room for another bag of pucks and some spare rolls of stick tape

Reactions: Turin

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
If the plane were delayed....would the Pens have played down 2 skaters? lol...crazy ***holes!

Ruhwedel 4RW??? still down by one forward? Or were Baby Pens in attendence?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Missed this one due to travel. Can anyone gimme a breakdown on how the two new guys looked? Considering no practice and arriving just in time to get suited up and play.

Bjugstad looked very good. McCann was meh. While I think he'll be better with some games under his belt and having had a chance to talk to his linemates before the game and whatnot... there was little difference between him and Sheahan based on what they actually provided us on the ice.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Oooooo. The All-American Line. I like that.

I wanna keep it

And I realize it’s one game but winning games is more important than getting Geno’s point totals up.

We’ll obviously see what happens, but depth scoring wins championships.

So does God Mode Geno. I'm very torn on what I'd see as the right path there.

Geno needs a faster player...can’t play with those two...

Agreed. Geno with two grinders works, but he needs one of them to be able to carry the puck through the neutral zone at pace/win dump off chases and generally get Geno the puck in good positions.

I really wish we had another Bryan Rust.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
My favourite moment was Mears' story of meeting Cullen at the grocery store and wanting to buy the same things as him.
The game was fun too. We are so lucky to have Jake and that new contract already looks like a steal. Rust, Kessel and Big Nick were great too. Too bad about the scare in the end but DeSmith stood tall.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I wanted to like your post, but I am not going to do it after the Maatta bit. He was very good. Probably our best defender (defensively) on the night :).

Lots of good to take from the game, but special teams sucked again, and I dont want to evaluate McCann and Bjugstad after one game. One inarguable fact however is that with those two and Blueger instead of Grant, we are a faster and more tenacious team. Which is good.
agree 100%. I have been crucifying him this season, but last night that was the first thing I said that he and Riiko looked solid. Granted there was no hard pressure on him down low so when he has asecond or two extra he can definitively make a play

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don't want to base anything off of one game, but I'm not sure McCann isn't any less vanilla then Sheahan.
OK...man of my taste...I've got a bit surprised by the praise but we'll write that one off on excitment, also its just one game, right off of the plane, so lets keep the judgment for after a few games, I was looking last night for little things but did not see much (I don't really how mch anyone can show between Pearson and Hornquist, but thats the story for another day)

Reactions: Riptide

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Can we do a fan petition to gift Cullen the title of ex-Player-Given-Too-High-Of-An-Office(except this one might actually be good) instead of Guerin?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
So does God Mode Geno. I'm very torn on what I'd see as the right path there.

Agreed. Geno with two grinders works, but he needs one of them to be able to carry the puck through the neutral zone at pace/win dump off chases and generally get Geno the puck in good positions.

I really wish we had another Bryan Rust.
Geno is playing different game now then 5 years ago...He is deep in our zone fishing the puck, and he makes that first pass to one of our wingers....now the probelm with these two is that Horny just dumps the puck to no one or Pearson try to skate straight line along the wall where he is body checked 90% of time...hence no possession...Geno needs someone that can carry that puck into the OZ and be able to keep for the second by the time he joins the attack....

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
agree 100%. I have been crucifying him this season, but last night that was the first thing I said that he and Riiko looked solid. Granted there was no hard pressure on him down low so when he has asecond or two extra he can definitively make a play
I'll join on this. I thought Maatta looked fine last night. Still think we need to add to the D, but if we don't and sit JJ for Schultz then Maatta-Riikola is an adequate pairing.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Bjugstad looked very good. McCann was meh. While I think he'll be better with some games under his belt and having had a chance to talk to his linemates before the game and whatnot... there was little difference between him and Sheahan based on what they actually provided us on the ice.

I do agree with you about last night. I think McCann is a late bloomer. I even said that watching him in Florida. He has tools. He's very fast, feisty, responsible, and he can shoot the puck. He just hasn't quite put it together. Kind of reminds me of a Josh Bailey type trajectory. You wait and wait and wait and then all of a sudden the dude explodes. I think McCann being in a much different locker room will suit him well. He's 22 and he's coming into a locker room of bonafide superstars and a franchise steeped in success. McCann plays a game that meshes REALLY well with this coaching staff also.

The beauty of this situation is that we have 23 days to evaluate him. If he doesn't fit, you throw him in a trade.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I love the beginning of the game when the Pens are coming out of the tunnel and directly behind Sid you can see the new guys coming out of the room still not fully equipped. Classic.

The part I loved about them coming out was McCann with this big shit-eating grin and as they are running out he turns around to fist bump Bjugstad. You could see how excited they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad