Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Senators 3 - Jugs and Canns . . . and Puppies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Yah. I tottaly agree in maybe even giving Blueger shifts with Sid and Malkin. He's skilled and very smart.

He impressed me more than McCann did today. But they're all pretty deserving of top 9 time.

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
Well Pearson is a non-starter. He's going to be playing no matter what, and I can't disagree with that choice. Simon may not be the best finisher, but he digs pucks out, and gets the puck back to Sid or whoever he's on the ice with, so I can't agree with him either. ZAR I'll give you, but we'll have to see how it plays out.
Definitely agree that the Pens won’t take Pearson out, even though they should. I’ll repeat what I said about Simon - I think he’s overall a passive player who doesn’t do anything to drive play on his own.

Reactions: Shockmaster

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
- I really hope they start to understand TB isn’t strictly a pivot. No idea where this nonsense is coming from. It’s frustrating to read JR saying that ****...

He’s a guy with the kind of skill and responsible play that can slot in at wing in the top nine and be a real asset there.
Sully knows. He said he's good on the wing and that they like his versatility.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Agree/disagree

Pearson might not be fast but he knows his role and he'll get on the puck. Geno just can't make poor decisions. All of them really. Make the right safe play. The Pens have plenty of speed throughout the lineup. I wish they had a burner like Johnson up, he'd be their fastest player with Hagelin gone. But it looks like that'll have to wait.

I really like G with Rust, always have, and I think Sully should keep them together...I’m not wedded to Phil being on that line but I’d spread out the slower defensive wings...
If Bjug is going to play 3C, then...

Jake Sid Simon
Rust-G-Horny
Pearson-Bjug-Phil
McCann/Blueger- Cullen- ZAR/Wilson

Although I’d be interested in seeing....

Jake-Sid-Bjug
Rust-G-Horny
Pearson-McCann-Phil
Blueger-Cullen-ZAR/Wilson

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Definitely agree that the Pens won’t take Pearson out, even though they should. I’ll repeat what I said about Simon - I think he’s overall a passive player who doesn’t do anything to drive play on his own.
I'm going to have to disagree with your assessment of Simon for the most part.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

Simon definitely drives play on his own.

Gels with both Malkin and Sid.

He can drive offense on line 4 if needed and play a grinder game.

His passing and ice vision is top notch.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Simon definitely drives play on his own.

Gels with both Malkin and Sid.

He can drive offense on line 4 if needed and play a grinder game.

His passing and ice vision is top notch.

Where are you getting this from?

Because he's almost always on an island?

You're seeing something different than I am. He definitely doesn't look like much to me.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

And given what happened against Washington last year, there's reason to believe he'll be ineffective in the playoffs against tighter checking teams.

Dupuis put up some decent numbers playing with Crosby in the regular season. It never amounted to anything come playoff time.

Reactions: farscape1

sauce66871

Dec 14, 2011
Teddy looks solid, hopefully with all this new found depth, when everyone is healthy, this affords Cullen to get a few games off here and there to stay fresh for the playoffs.

Really excited about the new guys, the Pens are deep.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Does anyone else feel like this is the deepest forward group they have had in the Crosby/Malkin era? They have 7 forwards at a 40 point pace or higher (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel, Hornqvist, Simon and Rust), 2 guys who put up 40 or more points last year (Bjugstad and Pearson, both of which are on pace for 30+ points this year) and 3 guys who are on pace for between 30 and 40 points (ZAR, Cullen and McCann, rounding up for Cullen because he's close enough). You also have Blueger doing a great job beyond those 12 guys. I think only the 2016-2017 team challenges this forward depth.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I can definitely see why you have been so high on Blueger. He's a smart player.

I just think he can help them a lot so it’s been frustrating watching Wilson and ZAR slog around the ice because JR thinks TB is only a pivot.

That’s some close minded shit.

Think I’m cranky because my rink is going to melt so I’m just really in a mood...

Reactions: td_ice

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
Saying he’s passive probably means he hasn’t watched him much.

Very smart and skilled player too but will aggressively pursue pucks

There should be a downvote for posts like these. Because I have a different assessment of a player I must not watch him much? I could say the same to you.

Reactions: Shockmaster

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Does anyone else feel like this is the deepest forward group they have had in the Crosby/Malkin era? They have 7 forwards at a 40 point pace or higher (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel, Hornqvist, Simon and Rust), 2 guys who put up 40 or more points last year (Bjugstad and Pearson, both of which are on pace for 30+ points this year) and 3 guys who are on pace for between 30 and 40 points (ZAR, Cullen and McCann, rounding up for Cullen because he's close enough). You also have Blueger doing a great job beyond those 12 guys. I think only the 2016-2017 team challenges this forward depth.

Yup sure do

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Loved what I saw from Bjugstad. He really does remind me a bit of Staal. I think he showed me more in one game than Brassard did in close to a year. Not all Brassard's fault though. The fit was just bad here.

McCann was quiet. Hope he shows more once he gets more acclimated to the team.

Blueger was pretty impressive too. His game reminds me a bit of Guentzel. Very high hockey IQ and some skill to go with it.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
There should be a downvote for posts like these. Because I have a different assessment of a player I must not watch him much? I could say the same to you.

Well he’s going at a 42 point pace mostly at ES averaging 13:14 minutes a night. Crosby and Jakes chances and scoring go up when he’s on the line better than anyone else there. That line has been our best line.

I also see what the stats are telling me.

I mean if he starts struggling for too long there’s no excuse not to switch it up given how deep we are and just about everyone can move up and down the lines.

Reactions: Riptide

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

The same people saying similar things refuse to acknowledge how bad he was on the top line in the playoffs last year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yup sure do

It's amazing what 1 trade of underachieving players for good players can do for your outlook on a team :laugh:

That 2017 cup team had absurd forward depth, even just putting this team on par with that team is saying something special. You still had the big guns in Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Hornqvist, but you also had a rookie Guentzel lighting it up, Sheary putting up a 70 point pace, Rust doing his normal stuff, Bonino doing really well as the 3C, Cullen doing amazing as the 4C and Hagelin, Wilson and Kunitz putting up good numbers. That's a hell of a top-12 forward group, but this team has a forward group right on par with it. That team was so deep and so good at forward that they won a cup without Letang, that should tell you how good that group was.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
It's amazing what 1 trade of underachieving players for good players can do for your outlook on a team :laugh:

That 2017 cup team had absurd forward depth, even just putting this team on par with that team is saying something special. You still had the big guns in Crosby, Malkin, Kessel and Hornqvist, but you also had a rookie Guentzel lighting it up, Sheary putting up a 70 point pace, Rust doing his normal stuff, Bonino doing really well as the 3C, Cullen doing amazing as the 4C and Hagelin, Wilson and Kunitz putting up good numbers. That's a hell of a top-12 forward group, but this team has a forward group right on par with it.

Yeah and if Schultz comes back and is in good form by the playoffs there is zero excuses. They just have to play. I mean even if he’s not as good coming back there should be zero. The roster is too good.

Reactions: Empoleon8771
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad