Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Senators 3 - Jugs and Canns . . . and Puppies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Does anyone else feel like this is the deepest forward group they have had in the Crosby/Malkin era? They have 7 forwards at a 40 point pace or higher (Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel, Hornqvist, Simon and Rust), 2 guys who put up 40 or more points last year (Bjugstad and Pearson, both of which are on pace for 30+ points this year) and 3 guys who are on pace for between 30 and 40 points (ZAR, Cullen and McCann, rounding up for Cullen because he's close enough). You also have Blueger doing a great job beyond those 12 guys. I think only the 2016-2017 team challenges this forward depth.
this may be true...I feel more and more that the key to put these lines together is to find the right place for Hornquist...if he is not playing with Sid he is not playing on 4th line, he will be either with Geno or 3RW, how to find the line to work with Horny ...

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
He’s much better than last year. That’s happens with a lot of young players. They get better.

There's also some players who simply aren't cut out for a big role come playoff time. There's nothing to suggest Simon would succeed in a tight-checking series.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
Well he’s going at a 42 point pace mostly at ES averaging 13:14 minutes a night. Crosby and Jakes chances and scoring go up when he’s on the line better than anyone else there. That line has been our best line.

I also see what the stats are telling me.

I mean if he starts struggling for too long there’s no excuse not to switch it up given how deep we are and just about everyone can move up and down the lines.
Yes the stats back it up from a Corsi perspective, but we’re talking a relatively small sample size, so you have to see if it holds up.

From an eye test, I don’t see him as aggressively pursuing pucks or driving play. I don’t see him driving the net in the same way Blueger did to create the 1st goal against Tampa the other night. I do agree that he’s a smart player, and his passing ability allows him to work with other talented players - but I believe he needs those superior players to drive offense in order for him to produce. Not sure where you can find what percentage of his points are with which players, but I’d be interested to know.

Reactions: Shockmaster

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Bjugstad was quite impressive. Just an utter pest with his reach, kept making good decisions with the puck when he had it, kept going to the hard areas when he didn't.

McCann was kinda just there for me. Tried but no particular rhythm.

Cool. Thanks, brother.

Reactions: Peat

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
And given what happened against Washington last year, there's reason to believe he'll be ineffective in the playoffs against tighter checking teams.

Dupuis put up some decent numbers playing with Crosby in the regular season. It never amounted to anything come playoff time.

You have this weird hate for Simon. I don't get it.

That Penalty he took vs Washington still bothering you? Lol.

For a 5th round pick, he's already surpassed expectations. He's improved big time on his dumb passes this year.

Agreed that he had zero business playing in the playoffs last season, but he has improved.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
So I want to gush over Jake/Sid and even mad credit to Rust, but they have to take a back seat tonight. I HAVE to talk about two guys in particular.

1) Blueger: I think it was @td_ice who said "as advertised" when talking about TB. He was defensively sound and his awareness shows. Then he gave off that amazing offense/support, too, that was talked about in WBS this year. That play to lead to his goal was a perfect example of Cullen doing his thing and TB doing his. They looked to have tremendous chemistry. Hats off and amazing first goal, son.

2) Bjugs: What the hell? Comes off a plane, doesn't meet the team, doesn't warm up, and I thought he was stellar. His reach and skating remind me of Staal. He just moves and he moves well. It's not fast but it's definitely a good pace. The boy can play quick, too. His mind is right there with the speed of the game. I thought he was terrific.

And just because I really can't do it - Sid/Jake/Rust were f***ing awesome! Thought Kessel was great. I liked Simon. I liked pretty much everyone except JJ and Maatta. But damn Sid isn't human. I'm sure of it.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yes the stats back it up from a Corsi perspective, but we’re talking a relatively small sample size, so you have to see if it holds up.

From an eye test, I don’t see him as aggressively pursuing pucks or driving play. I don’t see him driving the net in the same way Blueger did to create the 1st goal against Tampa the other night. I do agree that he’s a smart player, and his passing ability allows him to work with other talented players - but I believe he needs those superior players to drive offense in order for him to produce. Not sure where you can find what percentage of his points are with which players, but I’d be interested to know.

In short, Crosby and Guentzel would be far better complemented by Hornqvist or a similar style player on that line come playoff time.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
There's also some players who simply aren't cut out for a big role come playoff time. There's nothing to suggest Simon would succeed in a tight-checking series.

You really don't know what he will or won't do in the playoffs.

Anyway you cut it though, we're getting a nice contribution from a 5th round pick who is on pace for 40 points. What is there to hate.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Where are you getting this from?

Because he's almost always on an island?

You're seeing something different than I am. He definitely doesn't look like much to me.

He's clearly meshed with both. Idk what else to say. He's had a very good year.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
It's not fast but it's definitely a good pace. The boy can play quick, too. His mind is right there with the speed of the game. I thought he was terrific.

On Bjugstad.....I mean I never really paid too much attention to him when in FLA. Just knew that he has been a bit of a disappointment.

So this is just one game for me, of really seeing him and paying attention. But yeah, I totally agree.

The bolded is just perfectly stated.

Reactions: ColePens

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
You really don't know what he will or won't do in the playoffs.

Unless he goes on steroids, there's nothing to suggest he'll be any better against a legit contender.

Anyway you cut it though, we're getting a nice contribution from a 5th round pick who is on pace for 40 points. What is there to hate.

They got nice contributions from Dupuis in the regular season too in the past because he played with Crosby. How did it work out in the playoffs?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I get the feeling that these 2 new guys like being Penguins just from the looks on their faces when they joined the team at the bench.

Crosby, Cullen, Hornqvist, and Letang might do wonders for these guys. I wouldnt be at all surprised to see them really take off and thrive here.

Bjugstad gave more effort in this game than I've seen from Brassard in his entire time here.

You stole the words right out of my mouth from the GDT. Amen on the bolded.

I want to reiterate, they will have some transition pains once they adapt to the system. I actually thought McCann was hesitant tonight and not his normal self. I think he has a lot more spunk to his game than he showed. I thought he was thinking too much and that is 10000000% expected.

And as many others said - it was just simply the effort that made me smile. They came in with that natural hunger that can't be taught. Something Sheahan and Brassard had absolutely none of. They have that natural hunger and you just see if shift after shift.

I thought Bjugs made Kessel feel like a brand new player. It was insane. They were really on point.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Unless he goes on steroids, there's nothing to suggest he'll be any better against a legit contender.

They got nice contributions from Dupuis in the regular season too in the past because he played with Crosby. How did it work out in the playoffs?

Again, you have no clue how he'll preform in the playoffs. Using a small sample size from his rookie year seems disingenuous.

Breaking news, a rookie struggled in his first playoff run.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Again, you have no clue how he'll preform in the playoffs. Using a small sample size from his rookie year seems disingenuous.

Breaking news, a rookie struggled in his first playoff run.

There's also no reason to gift him a spot on the top line after his struggles. Had Sullivan pulled the plug on Simon on the top line earlier in the Washington series, there would be less of a concern. Instead he kept smashing his head against a brick wall. Some of us would prefer to not see bad decisions made out of nepotism.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Because he gets points playing with Crosby in the regular season? So did Dupuis.

?? I probably shouldn’t bother with this because you made your mind up about Simon long ago.

That said, I personally see him make really slick plays in tight spaces that I think can be done in a tight checking series. He’s also pretty good on the walls for a smaller guy and willing to get his nose dirty. He needs to learn to finish, but he’s got game and I think meshes well with Sid and Jake. Good news is Sully has 3 options for the RW spot to cycle through depending on fit and matchup.

Reactions: Riptide

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You stole the words right out of my mouth from the GDT. Amen on the bolded.

I want to reiterate, they will have some transition pains once they adapt to the system. I actually thought McCann was hesitant tonight and not his normal self. I think he has a lot more spunk to his game than he showed. I thought he was thinking too much and that is 10000000% expected.

And as many others said - it was just simply the effort that made me smile. They came in with that natural hunger that can't be taught. Something Sheahan and Brassard had absolutely none of. They have that natural hunger and you just see if shift after shift.

I thought Bjugs made Kessel feel like a brand new player. It was insane. They were really on point.

Brassard was like that before his injury. I'd be interested in what that injury was. It seriously seemed like it was effecting him this year as well and then he just stopped giving a shit.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
There's also no reason to gift him a spot on the top line after his struggles. Had Sullivan pulled the plug on Simon on the top line earlier in the Washington series, there would be less of a concern. Instead he kept smashing his head against a brick wall. Some of us would prefer to not see bad decisions made out of nepotism.

I'm not saying to put him on line 1.

I wouldn't. I'd go Hornqvist. Just I don't get the extreme bashing of a solid player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad