PEDs in the NHL

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The only reason Bäckström was caught in the Olympics was that he is let to use his allergy medicine whenever he's playing in the NHL.
It also doesn't add up how people beef up so quickly in the NHL, the dudes become actual tanks whenever they land in the NHL.

I think you're hitting the nail in its head on this one.
Yep, the fact that these guys can go years in the NHL without getting caught and then play in one international tournament and fail is more reason to believe that the NHL just turns a blind eye to this stuff. I also think it's hilarious that someone would discount cocaine use as if railing a line before a game isn't going to give you an aggressive edge.

Reactions: meng666

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yep, the fact that these guys can go years in the NHL without getting caught and then play in one international tournament and fail
Backstrom had used the same allergy medication in 3 prior World Championships and 2 Olympics.

And once again, it's not banned in the NHL.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Yeah, because the over-the counter allergy medication that Backstrom had disclosed and been taking for 7 years is not banned by the NHL, not because of some big conspiracy.
You do understand that the "over the counter" drug you're talking is actually a behind the counter drug in the US, has a limit on how much you can buy, and requires everyone to go the the pharmacist and provide an ID before being allowed purchase it because it's one of the main ingredients in Meth, right?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It also doesn't add up how people beef up so quickly in the NHL, the dudes become actual tanks whenever they land in the NHL.
It's almost like it's much easier to build muscle when you have the best facilities, personal trainers, medical staff, etc., being used by the most naturally athletic individuals, when millions of potential dollars are reliant on being in the best shape possible.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The NHL doesn't. It was an international ban.
Just because the NHL doesn't test for certain drugs doesn't mean they aren't performance enhancing drugs. Also, this thread isn't asking for people to discuss only drugs the NHL tests for but rather discuss how often players are using drugs to enhance their performance. If you don't think cocaine will enhance a players performance then we're very obviously not going to see eye to eye on this issue and I'll just leave it at that.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
It's almost like it's much easier to build muscle when you have the best facilities, personal trainers, medical staff, etc., being used by the most naturally athletic individuals, when millions of potential dollars are reliant on being in the best shape possible.
Not everyone can beef up and become an actual beast just with training and the best care possible. It's a genetic thing and I doubt the NHL goes deep into genetic advantages on its players. It's not physically possible. More and more of these guys are most likely being told what to eat, drink, train, and take advantage of.
There is no way you can 100% prove to me that with our known PED testing range that there isn't a systematical way of using them without getting caught. Every sport has them, and every sport will have them. It's just naive to think that the league is full of straight-edge dudes who only train and eat well to achieve what they can.
Those same millions are used to beef up the same people to gain an edge on the competition. You would be a fool not to think that it happens. It's impossible to know to what extent it is happening but it most certainly is happening.

Sure, you can call me a ''conspiracist'', but it's way harder to argue for people being completely off PED's in the NHL than that everyone is using them.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You do understand that the "over the counter" drug you're talking is actually a behind the counter drug in the US, has a limit on how much you can buy, and requires everyone to go the the pharmacist and provide an ID before being allowed purchase it because it's one of the main ingredients in Meth, right?
I don't know if the process you are describing is true, and I wouldn't exactly trust the U.S. medical system to do anything right, but did you ever think that maybe it's monitored because of it being an ingredient in the production of meth, and not because this pretty basic over-the-counter allergy medication is some Hulk-mania super-drug?

Reactions: Another AZ

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Just because the NHL doesn't test for certain drugs doesn't mean they aren't performance enhancing drugs.
Similarly, just because the IIHF does test for something, it doesn't mean they are performance enhancing drugs, and it doesn't necessarily mean that player has seen much of an impact, if any at all, for something that in pretty much all cases, has been negligible and unintentional.

Reactions: Another AZ

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I don't know if the process you are describing is true, and I wouldn't exactly trust the U.S. medical system to do anything right, but did you ever think that maybe it's monitored because of it being an ingredient in the production of meth, and not because this pretty basic over-the-counter allergy medication is some Hulk-mania super-drug?
Ok, well I do know it's true and it's common knowledge. The idea that you think you know better than the "US medical system" or whatever is kind of laughable especially considering you don't even sound like you know why pseudo ephedrine is banned by the IOC. And yes, I do think it's monitored because it's used in the production of Meth, I pretty clearly said that. I also think it's pretty convenient that Backstrom was using that specific allergy medicine instead of one that doesn't include a stimulant in it. Just because something isn't a "Hulk-mania super-drug" doesn't mean it won't enhance your performance which is the literal name of PEDs. You sound like you think the only PEDs we should be worried about are anabolic steroids that increase testosterone which is pretty funny to be honest.

Regardless, I didn't even mention Backstrom in my list of players caught using PEDs but for whatever reason you keep arguing him and not someone like Zykov who was just caught this season and his own team came out and said he was knowingly using a banned substance.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
I'm pretty sure a good chunk of NHL players use PED's, the question is do we want the NHL to follow the UFC route for testing? I don't know about you, but I sure don't want USADA anywhere near the NHL.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
The only reason Bäckström was caught in the Olympics was that he is let to use his allergy medicine whenever he's playing in the NHL.

I think you're hitting the nail in its head on this one.

In my late twenties i weighed about 140lbs and had never lifted a weight in my life. Five years later, I weigh about 190lbs with less than 20% body fat. Thats without a personal trainer or dietitian and working out at home. These athletes are in their prime growth age with the best equipment, trainers, and dietitians money can buy. The "beef up" you are referring to would be similar if you took an average person and put them through an NHL training program.

That isnt to say there is not drug use in the NHL, just that its entirely possible for people to put on significant muscle over a few years without the use of drugs

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Two questions:

1) when was the last time a player got caught for PEDs? I honestly cant recall ever hearing of it...

2) people say the testing is a joke but how? What is the NHLs current testing policy like?

Nate Schmidt?

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/vegas-golden-knights-nate-schmidt-suspension-1.4808271

IIRC, the policy is pretty lax and kinda random. There's facets like, if you get randomly selected and you test clean, they can't test you for a few seasons or something weird like that. They can also only test a few players on each team per season too IIRC.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
In my late twenties i weighed about 140lbs and had never lifted a weight in my life. Five years later, I weigh about 190lbs with less than 20% body fat. Thats without a personal trainer or dietitian and working out at home. These athletes are in their prime growth age with the best equipment, trainers, and dietitians money can buy. The "beef up" you are referring to would be similar if you took an average person and put them through an NHL training program.

That isnt to say there is not drug use in the NHL, just that its entirely possible for people to put on significant muscle over a few years without the use of drugs
I agree. The bulking of athletes in their late teens/early 20's isn't the problem and it's certainly not something eye raising. I don't think players are shooting roids in their ass to get huge because that's not where the advantage is in a sport like Hockey. The PEDs the league should be looking into is the recovery drugs and other stuff similar to blood doping that Lance Armstrong and other cyclists have been caught doing as well as stimulants like cocaine which will very obviously give you a game day boost.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Backstrom had used the same allergy medication in 3 prior World Championships and 2 Olympics.

And once again, it's not banned in the NHL.

Sudafed is well known as a PED. Was an SI story on it in the 1990s.

WADA only banned pseudoephedrine in time for the 2014 Olympics. Was only on the monitored list prior

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
How fast do you think the guys coming from Europe benefit from the drug usage in NA? Im fairly certain they are not used, atleast not to the same extend, in European leagues.

You know Russia is a European country right? The place where the government helps athletes take their drugs.

The answer to OP is "extremely common". Just like all sports.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
NHL?

I'm pretty sure ALL professional athletes and Olympians use PEDs.
Anyone that needs to use athletics for their income uses PEDs.

I'm also calling horseshit on injured athletes not taking anabolic steroids for speedy recovery from injuries.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The idea that you think you know better than the "US medical system" or whatever is kind of laughable
Actually, I didn't say I knew better than the U.S. medical system, but many countries do. Regardless, you have admitted that the reason for it being monitored has absolutely nothing to do with the drug itself, so not sure why you represented it as anything other than the pretty basic over-the-counter allergy medication that it is.
especially considering you don't even sound like you know why pseudo ephedrine is banned by the IOC.
The IOC literally said there was "no indication that Mr. Backstrom intended to enhance his sport performance by taking a prohibited substance".
I also think it's pretty convenient that Backstrom was using that specific allergy medicine instead of one that doesn't include a stimulant in it.
This is you applying intent/motive with zero evidence.
Just because something isn't a "Hulk-mania super-drug" doesn't mean it won't enhance your performance
Just because something is on the list, it doesn't mean that it's going to provide any real impact at the threshold.
You sound like you think the only PEDs we should be worried about are anabolic steroids that increase testosterone
I didn't say that at all, but you make it sound like people who use those smelling salts on the bench may as well be juicing up into steroid monsters.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
People claiming rampant PEDs in the NHL with absolutely zero evidence incoming.
Yeah because hockey media isn't known for covering up stories for years to protect their buddies.

giphy.gif

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You know Russia is a European country right? The place where the government helps athletes take their drugs.

The answer to OP is "extremely common". Just like all sports.

Anyone who doesn't believe that PEDs are common in most sports is delusional. The advantage is just so massive, that it almost self-selects against those who don't use them. Hockey is more skill dependent, than say football, but it's still there.

The testing is also pathetic. You'd have to be totally ignorant of the rules or an idiot to get caught. There's no regular testing in the off season. You could also use naturally occurring PEDs like testosterone, HGH, and insulin, and just stop using them a few weeks before you know you might get tested.

If the NHL were serious, they'd have random testing all year round, including during the off season and when players are on the IR. Star players would get extra scrutiny. Then they'd start handing out 5-10 year or even career bans for infractions. Even then, you'd still be able to use some PEDs. For example, people have wildly different testosterone levels, so you have to set the limit above the highest levels to remove doubt. You could low dose testosterone, to double or triple your own natural testosterone levels, and there's no way to know if that was natural or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad