PEDs in the NHL

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It’s not hard to get anyone could buy legit pharmacy grade hgh in 10 min online. To administer it’s the same as test.

Test is great don’t get me wrong. But it’s only undetectable if your levels are very low and your bring them up to normal male levels. This isn’t really performance enhancement. Low t wouldn’t even be an issue for like 95% of players imo.

only other way to be undetectable with these is to use test suspension which has very short half life.(in your system 2-4 hours) need many injections a day.

I’ve used quite a bit.

I don’t think you’d need to have low test to utilize it for benefits. The range that’s considered normal is large. A lot of guys probably sit in the middle of the normal range. They can consistently keep there levels at the top of the normal range and have more optimal recovery, easier muscle gain and retention, etc. I agree with you on everything, I just don’t think they’d have to have low T to be able to benefit from TRT level dosing. As for HGH I was under the impression you had to prepare it differently, but I’ve looked at a lot of gear over the years and maybe I’m mixing it up with HcG which comes as powder usually. I just know HGH was cost prohibitive for me at the time.

Reactions: Marner

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Most sporting bodies allow up to several times the normal levels of Testosterone during their testing. There are other issues too, like ratios to certain other hormones and hormone byproducts, but those would likely go back to normal within a few weeks.

Like I said before, you'd have to be an idiot to fail a drug test in most professional sports. Unless they are doing frequent random tests, year round, then anybody can get away with it.

There are also a lot of NHLers in their early 20s with really bad hairlines (this a very affluent group with access to anti-balding treatments). Also a lot of blood clots these days, which could be the product of artificially increasing red blood cell counts.

I mentioned the hairlines in my original post in this thread. I agree with you. Clotting as well.

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017
When you are a professional athlete or someone who makes money off of their body in someway the likelihood that they use PEDs increases dramatically.

What most aren’t understanding in this thread is what most athletes are looking for is help with RECOVERY. That can mean many things, but for the most part it means you are able to train more often and recover faster than your average Joe. This is extremely key in sports and strength training.

In terms of how easy they are to obtain, when you are at a high level or around people with experience and knowledge on the topic these types of things are readily available to you.

Just by taking PEDs it won’t help you unless you are knowledgable about the doses and what you should be taking for your desired effect. Plenty of people take PEDs and either look like crap or perform like crap.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I don’t think you’d need to have low test to utilize it for benefits. The range that’s considered normal is large. A lot of guys probably sit in the middle of the normal range. They can consistently keep there levels at the top of the normal range and have more optimal recovery, easier muscle gain and retention, etc. I agree with you on everything, I just don’t think they’d have to have low T to be able to benefit from TRT level dosing. As for HGH I was under the impression you had to prepare it differently, but I’ve looked at a lot of gear over the years and maybe I’m mixing it up with HcG which comes as powder usually. I just know HGH was cost prohibitive for me at the time.

HGH has to be refrigerated. It comes in vials. From what I've seen on YT, you have to shoot it with a higher gauge needle, so it's more painful to use. Also needs to be taken frequently due to not lasting long in the body. HGH also needs to be taken more consistently through the year, as opposed to cycled for a couple of months. There are supposedly newer "test chemicals" and forms of GH that do not need refrigeration and are more easily stored, but (I have no experience in this myself) they aren't the real deal.

HGH is relatively expensive, but nothing when you look at what these guys make. It's generally a pain in the ass to use compared to something like Test, which you can keep in a drawer and inject twice a week.

Reactions: LokiDog

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I don't know about PEDS guys, but I heard some sticks banging on the boards after a fight the other day #AstrosStyle

Last edited:
Reactions: NHL WAR

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa
This isn't true. Most sporting bodies will allow up to several times average test levels in their testing. That means that a person with average testosterone levels could triple or quadruple their own levels and still get away with it. The elevated levels would only last for a few weeks too. With the lack of random testing, year round, it would be extremely easy for NHLers to get away with it.

A basic testosterone cycle wouldn't require all that much PCT, particularly if you eased off it, so you wouldn't have that avenue to catch people either.

For sports enhancement, you don't need professional bodybuilder level use of PEDs. NHLers aren't trying to be 280lbs with 5% body fat.

Anyways, I think using steroids, particularly naturally occurring ones like Test, would be very very easy in the NHL. It's essentially an honour code at this point, as the testing is absurdly relaxed.

Bold is highly unlikely.

But I agree testing is a joke. The only thing stronger testing would provide is a weaker product. What’s the incentive for them to change.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
The use is rampant, as it is with any other sport.

As a fan, you shouldn't care because it makes the guys perform at a higher level. As an athlete, if you don't partake, it sucks for you because it gives guys an edge.

Last edited:

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa

Legit HGH would cost like 40$ a day for the dogs ages these guys would want.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Ask yourself:

1) Does it enhance performance?
2) What's the chance of getting caught
3) If you were in the AHL making $70K and could be in the NHL making $1m, would you take the risk?

I also think fans are very naive about what's possible with PEDs. Steroids are the tip of the iceberg, the things that improve your reactions, focus, recovery and energy are wildly effective in hockey. The difference for a goalie is night-and-day and the NHL doesn't have game-day testing.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The use is rampant, as it is with any other sport.

As a fan, you shouldn't care because it makes the guys perform at a higher level. As an athlete, if you don't partake, it sucks for you because it gives guys an edge.

Remember all the recent cases of blood clots? That's a major risk from blood doping.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Bold is highly unlikely.

But I agree testing is a joke. The only thing stronger testing would provide is a weaker product. What’s the incentive for them to change.

The olympics allow up to six times normal testosterone levels. Under normal circumstances, humans have a ratio of 1:1 for testosterone and epitestosterone. In order to avoid all statistical anomaly, the IOC set their fail ration at 6:1:

Proscribed drugs at the Olympic Games: permitted use and misuse (doping) by athletes

Ratio of other hormones to testosterone is pretty much the only way to test for test use, as testosterone clearly occurs naturally in the body too. So most people could literally increase their natural testosterone levels 5 times to normal and still pass the olympic drug tests.

If you're using test and HGH, there's so much wiggle room in the rules, that unless you've done something totally ignorant or stupid, you're not going to get conclusively proven as a user.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I wonder how many players are actively taking Adderall. I bet that's as common, if not more so, than any other PED

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I wonder how many players are actively taking Adderall. I bet that's as common, if not more so, than any other PED

Even in my beer league, I've noticed a lot of empty smelling salt packages on the bench when I get there. People in the beer league want the edge, who knows what kind stimulants are being used when 10s of millions of dollars are at stake.

63 others

Mar 3, 2018
PEDs are pretty harmful in the long run.
Its a joke how people are fine with this, but want to banish fighting cause uuuhm long term injuries

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Most of them take Srams for sure, not yet tested as heavily and not heavily regulated yet.

SARMS are getting more and more tested. The issue with SARMS is that they are constantly changing, so it's actually pretty hard to catch someone using them contemporaneously. What the IOC has been doing is going back and testing stored samples from many years ago. I doubt the NHL does this.

For example, Christine Girard, a Canadian olympic lifter who I took an oly lifting course with, was recently upgraded from bronze to gold and given another bronze after the IOC went back and tested for banned substances they didn't know existed at the time:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...girard-receives-her-olympics-medals-1.4929717

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
It is very common. But I don't think it should be more strict. I watch the NHL to see the best of the best, superhuman performances. Take away their PEDs and that drops drastically.

I'm not sure that's true.

You might actually see more separation between great players and the rest of the league (which is something the NHL is sorely lacking). There are too many players bunched up together so that nobody really stands out as a superstar.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
To answer OP's question, I believe PEDs are absolutely rampant in every major professional sport.

When millions of dollars are on the line, of course guys are going to try to get every edge they possibly can.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
SARMS are getting more and more tested. The issue with SARMS is that they are constantly changing, so it's actually pretty hard to catch someone using them contemporaneously. What the IOC has been doing is going back and testing stored samples from many years ago. I doubt the NHL does this.

For example, Christine Girard, a Canadian olympic lifter who I took an oly lifting course with, was recently upgraded from bronze to gold and given another bronze after the IOC went back and tested for banned substances they didn't know existed at the time:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...girard-receives-her-olympics-medals-1.4929717

Agreed with you,

The day the NHL is going to test back old samples for SRAMs a LOT of players will get tested.

People in general don't understand or know how heavily used SRAMs are in gyms, athletes and Crossfitters.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I mentioned the hairlines in my original post in this thread. I agree with you. Clotting as well.

Which is a huuuuuuge reach IMO. I hardly think seeing balding players or guys with receding/thinning hairlines is indicative of PED use. The clotting thing may have some merit, and (without knowing what i'm talking about whatsoever) hearing stories about Jay Bouwmeester having major heart issues on the bench, it makes me wonder why we seem to see players with heart/blood issues from time to time.

But in general I think it's disingenuous to say "Balding players and blood clots=widespread PED use in the NHL"

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
People claiming rampant PEDs in the NHL with absolutely zero evidence incoming.
"There is zero evidence of rampant PED use in the NHL" is not a rebuttal to the premise of "the league has a deliberately lax testing program to avoid creating evidence of rampant PED use in a sport with a culture of secrecy".

The difference between being an NHL 4th liner and an AHL top 6 forward is the difference between having to get a real job when you retire from hockey at 32 with no real-world experience, or having enough money from an NHL career that you don't have to work a real job again in your life. The stakes are incredibly high and in my opinion it's incredibly naive to believe that PEDs aren't widespread when the salary incentive is an order of magnitude from 70k to 700k at minimum, and proper recovery time and sleep are in short supply during an NHL season, or even more limited for the AHL/ECHL guys with the biggest financial incentives.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->