PEDs in the NHL

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
How common do you think performance enhancing drug use is in the NHL?

Could it have something to do with some unexplainable injuries in the past?

We all know NHL testing is a joke. Should it be more strict, even with the cost of entertainment (speed, star player playing all 82 games etc.) in the game?

Should the NHL be more open about drug testing and certain injuries?

This is all for the sake of the health of players.

Should we - as fans, the ones who pay the NHL - be more concerned about the players too (and less about our own entertainment)? Should we demand the medias reporting NHL to dig deeper in cases (possibly) involving PED use?

So far it’s been a huge taboo in the NHL (like in many of the other major sports). Are you happy with the way it is? Or should changes be made?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
It is very common. But I don't think it should be more strict. I watch the NHL to see the best of the best, superhuman performances. Take away their PEDs and that drops drastically.
What PED's do you believe they are taking?

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
How fast do you think the guys coming from Europe benefit from the drug usage in NA? Im fairly certain they are not used, atleast not to the same extend, in European leagues.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
Come to think of it, the finnish world championship win last year was even more mindboggling. Its like a natty bodybuilder winning against mister olympia competitors. Amazing.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
People generally know so little about PEDs when in these discussions.

Testosterone is a PED. It’s actually THE PED. Most everything else is a compound based off the molecular structure of testosterone. Most synthetic steroids like dianabol, anavar, winstrol, etc. are run side by side with testosterone. Testosterone alone can still provide a wealth of benefits. We produce it naturally. You can inject it to raise your levels. It assists with putting on muscle, or not losing muscle over a long season, metabolism, recovery, aggression, etc. The way to test for it? Check someone’s testosterone levels. But it’s the same way you or I would get checked for low testosterone and these are young professional athletes who are expected to have higher testosterone to begin with. The test is simply how much testosterone is in your system and the range that’s considered normal is fairly large (300-900). Testosterone levels also fluctuate between day and night and day to day, as well as with age, depending on what you’re eating, how hard you’re training, etc.

You could inject body builder type amounts (anywhere from 500-1000mg weekly) and have an insanely high amount of testosterone which would make the results of a blood test a lot more obvious (results in the 1200+ range). But you could also take testosterone replacement therapy level injections, say 100-200mg a week, and have a much less suspicious testosterone level. Normally a man whose testosterone levels read below 300 will get TRT to bring him back up into the 400-500 range, and as all the “low T” commercials mention, this is supposed to improve energy, metabolism, etc and make you “feel young again”. The same applies when you boost a normal healthy 500 level up to 800; more energy, better recovery, easier muscle gain, easier fat loss and metabolism, etc.

A hockey player who is in the 500+ range could boost himself to 750+ using this method, still be considered in the “normal” range and not raise any red flags in a blood test, because he’s just augmenting a hormone that already exists naturally in the body. And without knowing a regular baseline for that player to compare it, no one would be able to prove they’re injecting testosterone, nor really even raise an eyebrow at an 850 test level in a young professional athlete. Additionally, even if they had a “baseline” for that player, once again diet, training, age, etc. all factor into changes in testosterone anyway. And since it’s believable that many professional athletes would come back with results naturally on the higher end of normal it’s entirely feasible for a player to intelligently and discreetly boost performance, recovery and aggression using smaller doses of testosterone and not pop positive for a PED ever.

Most common side effects of injecting additional testosterone into your system? They’re very minor, which makes it easy to run. Back acne and possible male pattern baldness regardless of age, in men with DHT sensitivity (one of the byproducts of extra test). Hello Getzlaf, Shattenkirk, Stepan, etc. Not accusing them of being PED users, mostly poking fun, I’ve had plenty of friends who lost their hair at unfortunate ages, but that’s one of the most noticeable side effects, so it’s always possible some of the bad hairlines we see could be related. Certainly not a definitive sign.

Last edited:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Considering how fast some players recover from certain injuries there is a real possibility they're using PED's for it. Obviously they have access to better treatment than the average person in generall aswell though but why wouldn't you use PEDs to come back sooner if you can?

Turinabol worked wonders for UFC fighter Jon Jones so it's entirely possible.

Personally I'm not too mad about players using steroids for recovery if everybody can use them but for performance it can be dangerous especially for physically involved players.

Another problem would be if certain leagues use them and others dont it would make it difficult for somebody whose salary can't cover for HGH and what not to try to make it to the NHL.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
Two questions:

1) when was the last time a player got caught for PEDs? I honestly cant recall ever hearing of it...

2) people say the testing is a joke but how? What is the NHLs current testing policy like?

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Given the length of the season and the wear and tear on a person's body in such a physical game, PEDs are surely common in the NHL whether it's just for recovery or for other purposes. It's pretty clear why so many players in this league have issues with alcohol and cocaine abuse, I imagine it probably extends to PEDs as well.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Kuznetsov, Zykov, Schmidt, Konopka, Horcoff, and Tinordi all agree that there's no evidence to PED use in the NHL.
The fact that that's all you can name, and the fact that not all of those were even in the NHL (Kuznetsov, for example, was cocaine, which is only on the international list), and the fact that even for ones that were NHL, it was often not for performance-enhancing reasons, really highlights how nothing of a thing this is.

May as well tar and feather Backstrom for taking allergy medication with team Sweden's consent while we're at it.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Two questions:

1) when was the last time a player got caught for PEDs? I honestly cant recall ever hearing of it...

2) people say the testing is a joke but how? What is the NHLs current testing policy like?
1. Zykov this season.

2. I could be wrong but I believe the current CBA allows for 60 total drug tests during the offseason which is essentially 2 random players per team. Then during the season there can be one random teamwide test which cannot be done on game day so something that may give a player a game day boost may not be detected.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
There are lots of users. There's a reason why Bäckström got caught by even the Olympic committee and not the NHL.
They let as many people get a non-noticeable edge as they can.

The testing is just not there and they don't care. The NHL only cares about its bottom line.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The fact that that's all you can name, and the fact that not all of those were even in the NHL (Kuznetsov, for example, was cocaine, which is only on the international list), and the fact that even for ones that were NHL, it was often not for performance-enhancing reasons, really highlights how nothing of a thing this is.

May as well tar and feather Backstrom for taking allergy medication with team Sweden's consent while we're at it.
I'm pretty sure all of those were in the last 5 or so years. It's not a ton but it's also pretty commonly known that the NHLs testing isn't exactly strict.

Also, the fact you don't think Cocaine is a PED tell me all I need to know about where you stand on this issue. If players slip through the cracks for years in the NHL and then get caught internationally that just means the NHL did a poor job in the first place.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
I'm pretty sure all of those were in the last 5 or so years. It's not a ton but it's also pretty commonly known that the NHLs testing isn't exactly strict.

Also, the fact you don't think Cocaine is a PED tell me all I need to know about where you stand on this issue. If players slip through the cracks for years in the NHL and then get caught internationally that just means the NHL did a poor job in the first place.
The only reason Bäckström was caught in the Olympics was that he is let to use his allergy medicine whenever he's playing in the NHL.
It also doesn't add up how people beef up so quickly in the NHL, the dudes become actual tanks whenever they land in the NHL.

I think you're hitting the nail in its head on this one.

Reactions: StoneHands

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad