TSN: Pearson traded to Pittsburgh

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Teams are pretty stingy with 1-2nd rounders. This is not like the deadline deals of 2012-2015. Teams are learning that you have to build through the draft. The only way to do that consistently is 1st-3rd rounds of the draft.

The last two trade deadlines have seen very few top end picks moved.

?? Last year 7-8 1st or 2nd round picks were moved

Same in 2017

Reactions: King Trouty

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Just ask yourself,

Why would you give up a 2nd round pick for Hagelin ? The guy has 11 goals in his last 90+ NHL games.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
With 31 teams and the expansion draft that just happened that's not very many

Lol it's almost a 3rd, it is there it seemed like you were insinuating only a handful get traded etc I didnt even count 3rd round picks, but you aren't considering all 30 teams etc there's only a handful of buyers and they almost all have up 1st through 3rd picks in a deal etc

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I can keep going, if you think that teams don't overpay at the deadline I dunno what to say, history ain't on your side

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
those are more rare than the standard. Would be great if Thompson can get a pick too

I think Hanzal is the last big bottom six center trade that happened, he gathered a good deal of picks.

Hanzal was really productive though in parts of his career.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Sure some teams overpay never said they didn't, I said teams are starting to not deal top end picks as much.

Rebuilding teams yes, bubble teams yes, contending teams not so much, again past two years 8 1st and 2nd rounds have been dealt, if you are of the mind that there's only a handful of contending teams, the majority of teams have indeed traded top round picks

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
So prepare yourself to be very disappointed

we freed up $3.7m and we only have Thompson's 1.6 off the books

the cap might go up by a mil or two

so we have roughly $6-$7m of active cap space

Upcoming RFAs: Iafallo, Kempe, Petersen, Brodzinski, Rempal, Amadio, Brickley, etc

Result: BYE BYE Cap space

Pearson was moved as a wake up call for the roster, a potential 4th to 7th rd pick acquisition at the deadline in a future Hagelin deal, and to have enough room to sign most if not all their RFAs (Iafallo & Kempe will be signed in the $2-$4m range)
I careless what Blake does personally cause I've said since around 2015 this team wasnt a contender and got attacked over it.Love the chicken little posts some us were getting in response to this teams lack of personnel.:laugh:

If this team were to bring in a top 6 center to play the third line center, top 4 defensemen and twink the bottom 6 offense,you could see a playoff team.Pearson couldve been moved at the end of the season if this was about cap space.Blake I believe will be trading two of Toffoli,Martinez and or Muzzin at the deadline regardless, to open up more space to bring in establish help.

Hagelins worth probably a 4th or 5th these days.But we'll see what the market will settle on Hagelins market value.You maybe disappointed if Blake doesnt blow this up and rebuild as its rumored he and Luc's intent is to retool.Bernstein has said ownership may not willing to go thru another rebuild.

Last edited:

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
So let me ask this question... if we are trying to re-tool or rebuild or whatever you call it, and try to go with youth with some speed to match the new NHL, then why trade one of your younger 1st round picks (when the entire team has played absolutely abysmal) for a player like Hagelin that won't bring back hardly anything of value at the trade deadline?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's a shame he stopped caring with the rest of this team, and was the easiest guy to trade.

I don't think it's safe to say at this point it's not about the players no longer caring. The organization's toxic, and Blake doesn't know how to steer the players.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
So let me ask this question... if we are trying to re-tool or rebuild or whatever you call it, and try to go with youth with some speed to match the new NHL, then why trade one of your younger 1st round picks (when the entire team has played absolutely abysmal) for a player like Hagelin that won't bring back hardly anything of value at the trade deadline?

People wanted Blake to do something. Something that would wake up the core of the team. He did something. He actually traded someone that won the Cup and had a cushy contract.

Is there something else Blake should've done? Should he have done nothing while watching them sleep walk through the season? Should the big move be sending Clifford down? Sending Thompson down would do nothing, he hasn't been here for anything. Nothing has happened with the players since Pearson was traded, so sending Clifford down probably doesn't do a damn thing either. However, they would still have Pearson, who might still have 0 goals, and he would be complained about as a guy not doing anything, watching the value go down even further.

Plus there's no Malkin and Kessel for him to play with on this team.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't think it's safe to say at this point it's not about the players no longer caring. The organization's toxic, and Blake doesn't know how to steer the players.

Win the Cup in June 2014. Trash cans for the coach in the late winter/early spring of 2015.

Organization is toxic, players don't care, multiple mistakes by Lombardi before the Cup, lucked into the 2014 run, a no-show against a McDavidless Oilers team in a must win game in 2015, etc, etc, etc. Who knows what's going on. We put more effort in trying to come up with our various scenarios over the last few years than whatever anyone tied to the Kings organization has been doing. It's exhausting.

It's the same organization as last year, and they had all the reasons to quit when Carter went down, but then they didn't. They sucked in the playoffs, but they at least got there. Maybe it is a Kovalchuk virus. Maybe it's Doughty getting that last Cup contract, and then everyone said ok, now we're all done, and going to collect out guaranteed money.

Either way, whatever it is, whatever.

Reactions: King Trouty

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
If Pearson puts up 15 this year, good for him. There was NOTHING he did as a King this season[or last season] that showed he was going to do it again. We got cap space which is more valuable than he was.

Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
If Pearson puts up 15 this year, good for him. There was NOTHING he did as a King this season[or last season] that showed he was going to do it again. We got cap space which is more valuable than he was.
Ahh the pre Lombardi days of coveting cap space again. I'll only covet it if they use it to plug holes on this roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad