TSN: Pearson traded to Pittsburgh

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Totally. Pearson could bounce right back to 40 points and I still think it was the right move to make. And I'm ok with people disagreeing about his abilities, but it's the sheer venom with which people discuss him that's just total ****.

but whatever I'll just quote myself from earlier in this thread since it still applies

I mean, creating a strawman with the sole purpose of bumping the thread to **** talk him is exactly what I'm talking about.

FWIW, the "ignore" button is a PERFECT defense against the trash-talkers. This forum is so much nicer with just one person on ignore.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Maybe he hasn’t been clued in on Tanner’s pace in a certain favorable context!

If I were doing that, I would have said he was actually scoring at a 20 goal pace before his current slump. that would be a favorable context, and it would be as dishonest as suggesting he's waiver fodder (see earlier in the thread).

But you guys enjoy the weirdly angry circle jerk over a player gone half the season.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
The issue with Pearson is that he was supposed to be the one of the guys now in his prime helping to potentially offset any decline in an aging Carter. But instead he stalled out and regressed.

The Kings have a literal black hole on their team, the mid 20's age range of their roster. They have too few of them, and the ones they have/had are underperforming (Toffoli, Pearson, Forbort).

I honesty feel like Pearson is getting crap now because people here actually expected him to perform much better getting away from the Kings, and playing with the likes of Malkin and Crosby. But instead you have Penguins fans over on their board saying he's been a major disappointment and that the Kings won that trade because Pearson still has two more years on his contract. So right this moment, instead of it looking like Pearson just needed a change of scenery away from the dumpster fire of the Kings, it's looking like his career is spiraling downward.

Last edited:

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
The issue with Pearson is that he was supposed to be the one of the guys now in his prime helping to potentially offset any decline in an aging Carter. But instead he stalled out and regressed.

The Kings have a literal black hole on their team, the mid 20's age range of their roster. They have too few of them, and the ones they have/had are underperforming (Toffoli, Pearson, Forbort).

I honesty feel like Pearson is getting crap now because people here actually expected him to perform much better getting away from the Kings, and playing with the likes of Malkin and Crosby. But instead you have Penguins fans over on their board saying he's been a major disappointment and that the Kings won that trade because Pearson still has two more years on his contract. So right this moment, instead of it looking like Pearson just needed a change of scenery away from the dumpster fire of the Kings, it's looking like his career is spiraling downward.
Pearson's under achieving mirrors most of the team this season. Is/was there something going on we don't know about? My hunch is last year's bounce back season went to their heads and they over estimated themselves.

Reactions: David Lunch

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
can we have Hagelin back please...

Pearson is everything you guys warned us about and then some... :(

Atleast Hags brought value to the team even when he wasn't scoring, Pearson is just there, going through the motions, he's not tough, he's not fast, he's not good on the forecheck, doesn't really PK....so basically he's just stealing money from the pens when he isn't scoring.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
i'll do you one better, a 1st rounder........in Pearson

The Kings and Pens have already done that once with McSorley and McEachern.

MediumScholarlyGrunion-max-1mb.gif

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Pearson played his best under Sutter.

He was constantly challenged and pushed, also he is not playing 2012-2014 Kings style hockey anymore. That desire is gone it's apparent.

Oddly enough Toffoli/Pearson played some inspired career best hockey under Sutter.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The Kings and Pens have already done that once with McSorley and McEachern.

MediumScholarlyGrunion-max-1mb.gif

Ha, that whole ordeal was the biggest joke ever. The Kings ended up trading Sandstrom for Paek basically.

As for Pearson, when you are healthy scratched by two different teams its certainly not a good look. What a strange ride for Pearson, passed over twice in the draft before being a 1st round pick, 2nd liner on a cup winning team at 21 to struggling to stay in the lineup at 26.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Pearson played his best under Sutter.

He was constantly challenged and pushed, also he is not playing 2012-2014 Kings style hockey anymore. That desire is gone it's apparent.

Oddly enough Toffoli/Pearson played some inspired career best hockey under Sutter.
C'mon man you can't have a coach like Sutter laying expectations and demands on these players the way he did it. These guys need a coach who understands their feelings.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Ha, that whole ordeal was the biggest joke ever. The Kings ended up trading Sandstrom for Paek basically.

As for Pearson, when you are healthy scratched by two different teams its certainly not a good look. What a strange ride for Pearson, passed over twice in the draft before being a 1st round pick, 2nd liner on a cup winning team at 21 to struggling to stay in the lineup at 26.
I don't think we should be surprised to see some of the Kings younger guys flame out by the time they are 26-28 years of age.

Every year there is a new crop of 21-year old Pearson's wanting to take 26-year old Pearson's job. Pearson still has two years to go on a contract that will pay him $3.75M a season. A total of $15M over the entire length of the deal. After taxes that's probably a cool $8M at least.

Maybe GMs should start looking at second contracts as well and only offer 2 years max. Time for the era of the guaranteed contract to die. Even average players make so much they don't give a damn after a while.

NHL Average Career Length

A typical career of an NHL player can be summarized with one word. Its short! Over half of all NHL players play less that 100 games during their career and for approximately 5 percent of players, their first NHL game is also their last. If we look at this from a different angle, long careers are extremely rare. Only 4 percent of players (that's 1 out of 25) dress up for more than 1000 games.

NFL, MLB, NHL, MLS & NBA: Which Leagues and Players Make the Most Money?

In an article by the RAM Financial Group, a large financial services group that caters to professional athletes, their website states the average span of professional athletes are:
  • NFL: 3.5 years
  • NBA: 4.8 years
  • MLB: 5.6 years
  • NHL: 5.5 years

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
With what's going on in baseball free agency, and at least one guy hinting at a strike in mid season again, it's an interesting time all around the sports world when it comes to money and contracts. The whole LeBron cartel thing(hitting back against the NBA's cartel) in the NBA. The long list of issues in the NFL. The looming CBA battle for the NHL. A lot going on.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
With what's going on in baseball free agency, and at least one guy hinting at a strike in mid season again, it's an interesting time all around the sports world when it comes to money and contracts. The whole LeBron cartel thing(hitting back against the NBA's cartel) in the NBA. The long list of issues in the NFL. The looming CBA battle for the NHL. A lot going on.
I hope the MLB owners lock the players out until they have an agreement in place which eliminates all possibility of a mid season strike by the players.

Time is on the owner's side in these negotiations. The players generally can't afford to miss an entire season without pay, as most of them would. In regards to LaBron James, he isn't bigger than the game and the NBA will survive just fine without him.

The NHL owners have given the rest of the owners the playbook. Just follow it.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Every player has a shelve life, under Sutter it is dramatically reduced. Those cups and the style of play took a toll. Add to the fact we were giving up assets to stay in the "window" and we are where we are today.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I hope the MLB owners lock the players out until they have an agreement in place which eliminates all possibility of a mid season strike by the players.

Time is on the owner's side in these negotiations. The players generally can't afford to miss an entire season without pay, as most of them would. In regards to LaBron James, he isn't bigger than the game and the NBA will survive just fine without him.

The thing that is always hard with a lock out is that the people who suffer the most are the employees who are associated with each team. So many salaries are tied into MLB and these guys are not the ones who can afford to be out of work.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017

The MLB owners are in for a battle. They enacted an artificial salary cap without a salary floor and players revenue plit is plummeting as a result. Look at how terrified teams are of crossing that luxury tax barrier, playing on fans ignorance of marginal tax rates. This allows the Dodgers/Yankees get to spend 30% of BRR on player salaries and pocket massive profits. That whole situation is a mess because the MLBPA doesn't have a clue, still blows me away that people think they are the best of the big 4.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The thing that is always hard with a lock out is that the people who suffer the most are the employees who are associated with each team. So many salaries are tied into MLB and these guys are not the ones who can afford to be out of work.
I agree it's unfortunate, but the owners don't owe those folks a living. Jobs are plentiful right now. If someone's livelihood is tied to whether or not MLB games are played, they should consider changing jobs if they can't stomach a work stoppage.

I am not as familiar with the situation with the MLB CBA as I am with the NHL, but it seems the players are concerned about the revenue split. In my opinion it is better to address these issues during the off season, or when the players have been locked out. The constant threat of a strike during a season just isn't palatable for fans.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Every player has a shelve life, under Sutter it is dramatically reduced. Those cups and the style of play took a toll. Add to the fact we were giving up assets to stay in the "window" and we are where we are today.

This. The players are not uncaring bums that hate the fans, as the narrative around here has suggested lately.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad