TSN: Pearson traded to Pittsburgh

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Didn't Pearson have his best season after breaking his leg? I think his decline is lack of confidence and his linemates struggling.

That's definitely part of it. The other part is that he is noticeably slower now. He did lose a little speed after his injury, but he lost even more this season, not sure why. I hope nothing but the best for the guy, may the change of scenery get him back where he was a couple years ago.

Reactions: King Trouty

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Didn't Pearson have his best season after breaking his leg? I think his decline is lack of confidence and his linemates struggling.
Pearson broke his leg in the 2014-15 season when he was only 22-23 years of age. Yes, he came back to score 35, 44, and 40 points over the following three seasons. I think many were hoping for a bit more from him. I do think he has lost a step.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Little niblet from the Pens board:

Pearson cannot make a simple pass tonight, hope this is just jitters

tenor.gif

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Pearson was somewhat invisible, but it was only 1 game. I don't know why they put him with Geno. I mean, Pearson is supposed to be a Hornqvist type of player, so why have 2 of them on one line.

Someone else commented that his line barely touched the puck. Tanner must still think he’s a King.

Reactions: King Trouty

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
The Kings should wait for the trade deadline to make trades. Teams are more desperate, stupid at the deadline. Like the Martin Erat for Filip Forsberg trade.

when that deal went down most people were wondering what the hell they were thinking.

That said I would rather move players like Hagelin sooner rather than later due to risk of injury.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I didn't like the trade when it happened but I understand it, and hopefully, the locker room has the same reaction times ten. I think Pearson is going to put up decent numbers on the Pens though. The trade will go the Pens' way, but I doubt LA would have received a whole lot more the longer they held onto him. He was hard to package into a deal because of his salary.

Finesse

nostromo
Dec 9, 2013
when that deal went down most people were wondering what the hell they were thinking.

That said I would rather move players like Hagelin sooner rather than later due to risk of injury.

Injuries aren't typically Hagelin's thing.

I didn't like the trade when it happened but I understand it, and hopefully, the locker room has the same reaction times ten. I think Pearson is going to put up decent numbers on the Pens though. The trade will go the Pens' way, but I doubt LA would have received a whole lot more the longer they held onto him. He was hard to package into a deal because of his salary.

Didn't like it either. That said, while Hagelin is very streaky in terms of actually putting it in the net himself, he is generally one of the hardest working skaters on the ice at any given time, is almost certainly the fastest, creating chaos and opportunities for his team with his speed and forecheck many times per game, and is an absolute PK monster. He has real value on a squad. He's just overlooked by most when he's not potting the goals himself. Would take him back for sure.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Yeah I'm not a fan of the trade at this time.If Blake uses that cap space for a long time scoring help then I agree with the trade.

So prepare yourself to be very disappointed

we freed up $3.7m and we only have Thompson's 1.6 off the books

the cap might go up by a mil or two

so we have roughly $6-$7m of active cap space

Upcoming RFAs: Iafallo, Kempe, Petersen, Brodzinski, Rempal, Amadio, Brickley, etc

Result: BYE BYE Cap space

Pearson was moved as a wake up call for the roster, a potential 4th to 7th rd pick acquisition at the deadline in a future Hagelin deal, and to have enough room to sign most if not all their RFAs (Iafallo & Kempe will be signed in the $2-$4m range)

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

Upcoming RFAs: Iafallo, Kempe, Petersen, Brodzinski, Rempal, Amadio, Brickley, etc

Pearson was moved as a wake up call for the roster, a potential 4th to 7th rd pick acquisition at the deadline in a future Hagelin deal, and to have enough room to sign most if not all their RFAs (Iafallo & Kempe will be signed in the $2-$4m range)
I think you're discrediting what Hagelin can bring back at the deadline. I could see a 2nd or 3rd easily.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
I think you're discrediting what Hagelin can bring back at the deadline. I could see a 2nd or 3rd easily.

not if he has something like 2G and 3A by the trade deadline

i think you're discrediting who he's playing for

there's a reason why Pearson couldn't fetch a 2nd rd pick, and that reason was LA

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010

Teams are pretty stingy with 1-2nd rounders. This is not like the deadline deals of 2012-2015. Teams are learning that you have to build through the draft. The only way to do that consistently is 1st-3rd rounds of the draft.

The last two trade deadlines have seen very few top end picks moved.

Reactions: deaderhead28

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

remember Drew goes up $4m

I am thinking the cap savings will happen when Martinez, Muzzin and/or Toffoli are moved

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad