LeBrun: Pavelski to visit Tampa and Dallas this week (Friedman: Pavelski to initiate talks with Stars)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
All signs pointing to Dallas getting him at this point.

Friedman

Sean Shapiro

Mike Commodore.

Welcome Joe.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Feels good man. Feels very good.

Love Pavelski, now I can love him even more.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Seguin/Benn/Radulov/Pavelski

Heiskanen/Klingberg/Lindell.

Dallas is getting there.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I mean, it makes ton of sense the Sharks would let Pavelski go. They already have a lot of money tied on veteran dmen and need to use the cap room on the younger RFA forwards.

That said, i never believed it would actually happen. I thought they'd find some way to keep him. It's a bit of a shocker.

Sharks just seem to have such strong relationships with their vets. I mean just thinking about Jumbo and Marleau playing there for another year - but without Pavelski is weird to say the least. He was even the captain.

But, if he does go to Dallas im glad. It's always fun to see players wearing new uniforms, and the Stars could use him a lot.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
After reading about how his shot totals are "falling off a cliff", I'd like someone to provide some more info on that.

He took 188 shots in 75 games last year, putting him at 2.5 shots per game. Had he played all 82 games, he'd have been at 205 shots, which is lower than his career numbers but not as much as some had made it seem.

His career SPG is just under 3, so 2.5 is a solid drop off there. But over the last 4 years, it's been much closer to 2.7 SPG, making that much more of a steady decline than a sharp drop off.

As for shooting percentage, his career average is 12.5, a lot lower than last season where he shot at 20.2. With a normal shooting percentage, he'd still be at 25 goals last season. Not too far off from his career average of 30 goals per season.

The only place where I see a cause for concern is his shot attempts per game. But his game is largely cerebral, so I'm not terribly worried about him getting his shots through. Through his career, more than half of his shot attempts have been on net. Additionally, I think this might've been confounded with having two stud defenders who probably had the puck a lot, and thus others, including Pavelski, had the puck less and therefore generated less shots.

At his age, sure, decline is always a worry, but I'm not seeing any "diving off a cliff" type decline in the stats. Not sure where that narrative came from, outside of fans simply trying to lessen the blow of a player like Pavelski leaving.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Good fit for the Stars. He would have been a good fit in TB but we just didn't have the money. Tb will look elsewhere to improve their team.

TK

Feb 26, 2019
Pavs shot over 20% last year, well above his career average. Stars might end up paying for 35+ goals and getting 20ish.

Reactions: ElGuapo

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
Hintz was great in the playoffs but too small of a sample size to put him in core group.

But I feel they need 1 more quality forward from the market.

Hintz will play in the top-six, period. They do need a quality forward and if you have already factored in Pavelski before you made that argument, then likely another forward on the top-six is unlikely. One can be almost be certain Nill is pushing to have one of his draftees on the wing there.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hintz will play in the top-six, period. They do need a quality forward and if you have already factored in Pavelski before you made that argument, then likely another forward on the top-six is unlikely. One can be almost be certain Nill is pushing to have one of his draftees on the wing there.

I just haven't gotten the impression there's too much to expect from there?

Benn- Seguin- Pavelski
x- Hintz- Radulov.

2 unknowns in the top6 is a lot to bet on.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009

Benn- Seguin- Pavelski
x- Hintz- Radulov.

Hintz is not an unknown dude.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hintz is not an unknown dude.

For full time full season #2C role he is.

1 2 round playoff run doesn't make a player quaranteed. Especially with his CV.

It would be better to add another one than to expect Hintz to be a 50+ player with a rookie on his line.

Reactions: jaeger

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Thank you for taking him Stars. Not that he is a bad player but we would be in cap hell with him and I’m not convinced he is much of an improvement on Gourde either. Oh and he is gonna be 35.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
For full time full season #2C role he is.

1 2 round playoff run doesn't make a player quaranteed. Especially with his CV.

It would be better to add another one than to expect Hintz to be a 50+ player with a rookie on his line.

You didn't watch his playoff performance then my man. He was consistently one of the best players on the ice out in BOTH series. We're really not even close to concerned.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014

Benn- Seguin- Pavelski
x- Hintz- Radulov.

There ought not to be too much to expect and for that reason when a rookie like Hintz shows that offensive spark over half a season + playoffs, that is a major improvement. Unless he drops off a cliff, he will be expected to continue what he did last season.

Mind you, that empty spot could also be Jason Dickinson. Is that also an unknown? Yes. IMO, he plays more like he'd be an effective 3rd liner, but he has shown more offensive spark than he ever did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad