LeBrun: Pavelski to visit Tampa and Dallas this week (Friedman: Pavelski to initiate talks with Stars)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Here's your homework.

Stop blasting your opinion as fact on a hockey forum. If Pavelski goes on to score 50 goals and win a cup next year sure maybe I'll be upset but as of right now, Pavelski walking and signing Karlsson is perfectly fine with me and the rest of the sane Sharks fans.

You guys are literally telling us how we should he mad and how big of a blow this is. It should tell you all something that Sharks fans aren't really upset.

1) Your top scorer is leaving for another team.
2) The Sharks' current core players (Burns, Couture, etc.) are starting to age.
3) The Karlsson contract possibly set a dangerous precedent to which guys like Meier might not be willing to take any kind of a discount.

If the Sharks were my team, I'd be a little upset........but maybe that's just me.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
There is no Pavelski aggresssion.

So a guy that has been in San Jose for most of his career and has always taken discounts, is in no way feeling betrayed by an organisation that refused to give him a long term deal? Meeting with other teams isn't a sign of Passive aggressiveness? I'm not if I agree. Sounds to me like Pavelski is a little miffed........and for good reason.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
So a guy that has been in San Jose for most of his career and has always taken discounts, is in no way feeling betrayed by an organisation that refused to give him a long term deal? Meeting with other teams isn't a sign of Passive aggressiveness? I'm not if I agree. Sounds to me like Pavelski is a little miffed........and for good reason.

Why do you seem so obsessed trying to rile up Sharks fans? Most of us recognize it for what it is: an aging star vet and the GM have a differing view of what the player should get on the next deal that's likely his last meaningful deal in his career.

This has little to do w/ re-signing EK. Wilson had all last offseason to re-up Pavelski (like he did w/ Couture and like he does w/ players he views critical), and he chose not to. He had all season to do so, and he chose not to. We'll find out if that's the right call - I think it is. Wilson, like Bill Walsh, takes the view of letting vets walk a year earlier then signing a vet to a new deal longer than he thinks he has left in his tank.

Of course it will be a big loss to lose Pavelski. Just like I'm sure it was when the Canucks lost the Sedin twins. That's sports. Sharks will just have to adjust.

But posting again and again telling us how we should be so ticked off just seems to be trolling.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008

Honestly couldn’t care less if Pavelski is feeling sour. DW is right not to offer him more than 2 years regardless of EK65.

In terms of EK65, you do what it takes to keep superstars who are still in their prime. Those guys don’t grow on trees.

Reactions: Kegsey

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
3) The Karlsson contract possibly set a dangerous precedent to which guys like Meier might not be willing to take any kind of a discount.

If the Sharks were my team, I'd be a little upset........but maybe that's just me.

Pavelski may be our top goal scorer and had a great year last year but Burns is consistently our best scorer and you conveniently neglected Timo, Hertl, and Kane who all had 30 goals and 50+ points.. Hmm. Seems like you just have an agenda.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

That is a lot of assuming.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
In terms of EK65, you do what it takes to keep superstars who are still in their prime. Those guys don’t grow on trees.

Fair enough, but you don’t have to look any further than Toronto to see what *might* be in store for San Jose.

Karlsson=Tavares?
Meier=Nylander?

Big contracts inevitably lead to cap problems, which ultimately leads to depth being sacrificed.

Leafs signed Tavares, and were able to sign Nylander and Matthews (and will likely be able to sign Marner), but look at all that they had to give up in the process in the name of trying to win?

In my opinion, the Sharks could be headed down Toronto’s path.

Last edited:

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I wouldn’t Be shocked to see him sign 3 years 7 million in Dallas.

I'm going to guess 4 yrs @ $7.5M.

I think he'd prefer Tampa (as the tweets yesterday indicated that they were looking like his 1st choice) but then Dallas came back w/ a huge offer that put them in pole position.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017

I think he'd prefer Tampa (as the tweets yesterday indicated that they were looking like his 1st choice) but then Dallas came back w/ a huge offer that put them in pole position.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see him take that, we always knew that we couldn’t offer that amount of money. Fair play if he does go there has been taking discounts for he’s whole career. Considering are cap situation we probably offered something around the 5.5 million.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Fair enough, but you don’t have to look any further than Toronto to see what *might* be in store for San Jose.

Karlsson=Tavares?
Meier=Nylander?

Big contracts inevitably lead to cap problems, which ultimately leads to depth being sacrificed.

Leafs got signed Tavares, and were able to sign Nylander and Matthews (and will likely be able to sign Marner), but look at all that they had to give up in the process in the name of trying to win?

Uh, who's our Marner, who's our Matthews? Keep trying.

At least we don't have Loui Eriksson or Luongo's recapture sitting on our books for 3 more seasons. THAT is more cap crippling.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009

Karlsson=Tavares?
Meier=Nylander?

Leafs signed Tavares, and were able to sign Nylander and Matthews (and will likely be able to sign Marner), but look at all that they had to give up in the process in the name of trying to win?

The Leafs had cap troubles because they signed an aging vet Sharks player to a contract the sharks refused to offer him.

:laugh:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Karlsson’s cap hit percentage was slightly less than the average cap hit percentage on the first contract signed by Norris Trophy winning defensemen after they won their Norris. He’s paid far less than the rest of them when you adjust for production. How exactly did that contract set a bad precedent? Lol.

Kegsey

Oct 20, 2011
Canada

Karlsson=Tavares?
Meier=Nylander?

Tavares career high in points is 88 last year and Kalrsson has hit 82 as a defenceman on the Senators and is a two time Norris trophy winner. Nylander is now going into his 4th year with a career high of 61 points and 22 goals, in Timo's 2nd year he had 30 goals and 66 points so at this point you're literally pulling numbers out of your ass to fit your own made up narrative.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
So, you care about cup losers? Your comment confuses me. What do you care about?

Here is your homework:

1) Study the cap hits of the top players on the following teams.
2) Analyze the total percentage of the cap that these top players took.

2010: Chicago
2011: Boston
2012: LA
2013: Chicago
2014: LA
2015: Chicago
2016: Pittsburgh
2017: Pittsburgh
2018: Washington
2019: St. Louis

Maybe........maybe not. All I know is this. I'm a firm believer in proven models, and over the past 10 years, the front-loaded top heavy teams have always taken a backseat to the Cost-controlled elite + depth teams. There's a reason why Crosby and Ovechkin went cupless between 2010-2015 despite being the two best players on the planet. There's a reason why Chicago and LA declined once Toews, Kane, and Kopitar received their "thank you" 10+ million dollar deals for their cup victories.

If "proven models of recent past success" are key indicators of the short term future, then my prediction is that San Jose will continue to play the role of the bridesmaid like they always have (i.e. a solid team that ultimately jobs to the cup champ), UNLESS the cap significantly increases over the coming years while Erik Karlsson maintains his level of play and stays healthy. It's possible........just doesn't seem likely.

If I'm picking a race horse for the short term future, I'm picking Colorado (while Nate MacK is still on that 6 million dollar contract, while Makar will have that ELC).

Hey teach, did my history homework. Kane and Toews signed their contracts both averaging 10.5MM AAV in July 2014. I did my math homework too though. The cap was $69MM the year they won the cup meaning they had two players taking up 30.4% of the cap (15.2% each). In 2016, Geno was making 13.3% of the cap while Crosby was getting 12.2%. Erik Karlsson is set to make 14.1% of the cap this year with the next highest cap hits (Burns and Couture) taking 9.8%.

To sum it all up, you’re wrong.

Kegsey

Oct 20, 2011
Canada
Hey teach, did my history homework. Kane and Toews signed their contracts both averaging 10.5MM AAV in July 2014. I did my math homework too though. The cap was $69MM the year they won the cup meaning they had two players taking up 30.4% of the cap (15.2% each). In 2016, Geno was making 13.3% of the cap while Crosby was getting 12.2%. Erik Karlsson is set to make 14.1% of the cap this year with the next highest cap hits (Burns and Couture) taking 9.8%.

Oh shit, numbers and logic!

Reactions: 209

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

Looks like he was an online tutor and not a teacher. Who would have known?

Zapp

Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla

I'm going to assume you dont know Jack about the Dallas stars and they way they operate lol.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

No, Toews wasn’t taking up that cap percentage when they won. He signed his contract in 2014 but it didn’t kick in until 2015-2016 season. Chicago hasn’t won a playoff series since their $10.5M contracts kicked in.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
No we arent mad Pavs is leaving. We are mad that as soon as the sharks get someone other people wanted we get written off. It happens every year people tell us about how bad we will be, EK65 is just the most recent thing to shit on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->