Confirmed with Link: Pavel Datsyuk to Mitch Album: I'm going home next season

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I'd rather have Hedman after next year....but there is no way SFY lets him walk.

kccFmgV.jpg

If he plays more than a year in the KHL I'll feel worse about it.

But it sounds like he wants to play one year, as a "victory lap" before his legs get to the point where he cannot play professional hockey anymore. If he does another year in the NHL he may not be able to do that.

I think he plays more than one year. I'm basing that on nothing else other than pure speculation though obviously.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
So as long as Ken Holland meets your specific criteria?

YES thats right

now those names were examples of long term investments but i am sure i would be happy with others

holland intentionally choosing, should he not move datsyuks salary and thus ice a worse roster then today, is not acceptable and should not be to paying fans and customers of the brand

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't see Stamkos signing in Detroit. I would much rather Detroit focus on getting a #1 D in place through development, trade, or free agency before they focus on a #1 center. Adding Stamkos might still get the wings in the wild card spot each year but the D still gets picked apart in the playoffs.

If Holland would focus on the kids this is a non issue, its long past time to pick that direction. Kids come in on ELC's and it won't matter if 7.5 million is sitting on the books. Yeah its inefficient and dumb but it really wouldn't matter. If Holland could resist signing vets to fill holes and instead promote the kids cap space won't be an issue. Get the kids ice time to develop draft a few top 10's and maybe build a core for the future. Daytsuk will fall off the books, Weiss buyout should dry up soon, get a number 1 D, let the kids get experience, draft in the top 10 a few seasons, get rid of Howard's contract, Get rid of Erickson's contract. I don't understand why a segment of our fan base can not let go of the playoffs a few seasons to clean out the trash on this team and get a future started.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't see Stamkos signing in Detroit. I would much rather Detroit focus on getting a #1 D in place through development, trade, or free agency before they focus on a #1 center. Adding Stamkos might still get the wings in the wild card spot each year but the D still gets picked apart in the playoffs.

If Holland would focus on the kids this is a non issue, its long past time to pick that direction. Kids come in on ELC's and it won't matter if 7.5 million is sitting on the books. Yeah its inefficient and dumb but it really wouldn't matter. If Holland could resist signing vets to fill holes and instead promote the kids cap space won't be an issue. Get the kids ice time to develop draft a few top 10's and maybe build a core for the future. Daytsuk will fall off the books, Weiss buyout should dry up soon, get a number 1 D, let the kids get experience, draft in the top 10 a few seasons, get rid of Howard's contract, Get rid of Erickson's contract. I don't understand why a segment of our fan base can not let go of the playoffs a few seasons to clean out the trash on this team and get a future started.

Trouba could be available

teemussalami

Mar 10, 2016
I honestly don't think it's a bad thing carrying the dead cap for next year. If we are truly rebuilding on the fly, it will give the young kids an increased role and possibly bring up a few guys in Grand Rapids and see what they are made of in next years tryout. If things don't look promising than we have the money to spend for 17/18.

Realistically I don't think we are a playoff team next year anyways, and by having the dead cap it will prevent Holland from possibly over spending on a free agent in panic mode. Holland likes to fix things by placing a Band-Aid on it, but the dead cap will force him to truly fix the issue the right way.

Hopefully.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I honestly don't think it's a bad thing carrying the dead cap for next year. If we are truly rebuilding on the fly, it will give the young kids an increased role and possibly bring up a few guys in Grand Rapids and see what they are made of in next years tryout. If things don't look promising than we have the money to spend for 17/18.

Realistically I don't think we are a playoff team next year anyways, and by having the dead cap it will prevent Holland from possibly over spending on a free agent in panic mode. Holland likes to fix things by placing a Band-Aid on it, but the dead cap will force him to truly fix the issue the right way.

Hopefully.
I really hope you're right. This team needs something to kick-start the rebuild. Maybe Datsyuk leaving will do the trick.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit

stamkos is a LONG TERM solution though

we still need a dman no doubt about it but their is no reason why we cant or shouldnt be all in on stamkos while at the same time moving out deadweight and going after a blueliner

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
Ken Holland would have complete criticism immunity for 5 more years if that happened. I would personally enforce it. You say one bad thing and I come to your house and make you edit your post.

God. Now you put that in my head and I know it has a .000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of happening but I want it so bad.

It would be glorious. And now I see Kypreos with a rumour that he's on the chopping block. C'mon Donny, how's about a little going away present for the Wings and a middle finger to your bosses? :laugh:

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I mean I guess there is still a good chance that Detroit can dump his contract one way or another, that said Datsyuk really doesn't care about the negative impact of his contract on the franchise and will no doubt earn more money in the KHL than he was scheduled to make in the NHL.

I would love for Detroit to use all avenues they can through the IIHF to prevent Datsyuk from violating the transfer agreements and playing in Russia next season.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
A long term solution suffering from blood clot issues is a scary proposition.

Not that I think the Wings have a chance in hell at landing Stamkos, but his real issue is Vascular Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, where basically this tiny top rib and muscles pinch the artery there.

After the surgery to remove that rib his risk of blood clots is extremely low.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
This is 100% to get the media off his ass

hes going back
Yeah. You don't have an exclusive interview with a famous writer, your agent, and a translator just to turn around and pretend you didn't really mean it. In that kind of a situation, Albom would have been very careful to be sure that was the message Datsyuk wanted to send. The entire thing was all about setting the fans and media straight, once and for all.

So, come on. This is complete BS. And if Datsyuk really does let his mind be changed by Holland and Ilitch and media pressure, I'll lose a lot of respect for him.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
This is 100% to get the media off his ass

hes going back

Yeah. You don't have an exclusive interview with a famous writer, your agent, and a translator just to turn around and pretend you didn't really mean it. In that kind of a situation, Albom would have been very careful to be sure that was the message Datsyuk wanted to send. The entire thing was all about setting the fans and media straight, once and for all.

So, come on. This is complete BS. And if Datsyuk really does let his mind be changed by Holland and Illitch and media pressure, I'll lose a lot of respect for him.

Yeah, probably. Not sure why he said it's not 100%, but he did.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Not that I think the Wings have a chance in hell at landing Stamkos, but his real issue is Vascular Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, where basically this tiny top rib and muscles pinch the artery there.

After the surgery to remove that rib his risk of blood clots is extremely low.

Someone stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
are they going to be a permanent problem or a one off?

Decent chance it's just a one-off problem but there's always a risk they come back. Partly depending on what caused it in the first place. I'm not going to speculate but this is a medical issue that has seen increased numbers in recent years for professional athletes and there's a possible explanation why...

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I think perhaps there's a financial side of this that could explain why he's having second thoughts about leaving if my understanding is correct. In a way he lucked out by staying in the US this past year. By staying put however he will have earned an extra 12.5 million. With the value of the ruble falling to 70:1 it becomes a little bit of a prediction game. Of course many economists see the economy over there taking another blow in the next 12 months. If he leaves now he could cash in his earnings for 1.19 billion rubles, however, if the rate were to fall to 3x what it was when he signed the contract, he could trade in his paycheck for 2.025 billion rubles. Essentially it becomes an investment game and he would be investing in the power of the dollar. Now, if Holland goes through the IIHF to block his ability to participate in the KHL, or limits him to a few low salary teams he could be playing for less than the NHL minimum wage next year. If the question were posed to me, play hockey for less than the NHL minimum wage or just less than a billion rubles, I'm not sure it would be a hard decision. This also doesn't include money he might make through other channels in the states by staying another year. Now, he absolutely doesn't need more money, and time with your family is no doubt priceless, however, the incentive could perhaps be there as well as the old "be a man, finish what you started" and fanbase/legacy pressure to make him reconsider leaving. These are just my rough thoughts though, they could be inaccurate.

Last edited:

RedWingsDad

Jul 30, 2013
I hope Datsyuk leaves and spends time with his family. Family should always trump your job if you already have enough money in the bank to live off.

He shouldn't have made a three year commitment, and I can only presume something came up to change the situation, but still... go home Datsyuk... there's enough dead beat dads out there who choose not to spend time with their families.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
No, I'm not calling him an idiot, but I don't think topic of the conversation was what happens when he leaves early, and I don't think he is tuned into the CBA as much as some are? Hell a lot of avid fans don't know the full context of the rule and so forth.

Please don't turn what I'm saying into that I thin datsyuk is an idiot. He has said he wishes he could go back and do it differently because he didn't know or understand...

Side note: I think the whole Holland won't trade his contract is posturing. He rather Datsyuk stay then take a flyer on Stamkos. By going out and saying I rather hold on to the cap hit then see your name on another roster but ours shows a lot of loyalty and respect which could tug on Datsyuks heart strings.

I expect if Datsyik goes home the contract gets moved, but as of right now the Red Wings are focused on the playoffs and then convincing him to stay. By saying oh okay, we will just trade it helps Datsyuk say, oh okay they will be fine.

Datsyuk's agent is an idiot or deceitful then. Nobody expects Datsyuk to know the CBA details but an agent who lets a client sign a contract whose stipulations he doesn't understand is a bad agent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad