Confirmed with Link: Pavel Datsyuk to Mitch Album: I'm going home next season

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I mean I guess there is still a good chance that Detroit can dump his contract one way or another, that said Datsyuk really doesn't care about the negative impact of his contract on the franchise and will no doubt earn more money in the KHL than he was scheduled to make in the NHL.

I would love for Detroit to use all avenues they can through the IIHF to prevent Datsyuk from violating the transfer agreements and playing in Russia next season.

I wouldn't take it far. His legacy is gonna take a bit of a hit though, so that's enough.

Yeah. You don't have an exclusive interview with a famous writer, your agent, and a translator just to turn around and pretend you didn't really mean it. In that kind of a situation, Albom would have been very careful to be sure that was the message Datsyuk wanted to send. The entire thing was all about setting the fans and media straight, once and for all.

So, come on. This is complete BS. And if Datsyuk really does let his mind be changed by Holland and Ilitch and media pressure, I'll lose a lot of respect for him.

If he ended up doing that, it'd be a pretty bizarre development for sure. :popcorn:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
So, come on. This is complete BS. And if Datsyuk really does let his mind be changed by Holland and Ilitch and media pressure, I'll lose a lot of respect for him.

Why?

This was always an incredible torn, difficult decision. I'm sure he loves playing at the highest level of hockey. Loves his teammates, his friends he's made in Michigan. I'm sure he feels a lot of loyalty to the Wings ownership and leadership and even to the fans.

Then on the other side he feels loyalty to his home country and the tug of family.

It's not an easy decision by any means. If he's swayed one way or the other I don't hold it against him.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Why?

This was always an incredible torn, difficult decision. I'm sure he loves playing at the highest level of hockey. Loves his teammates, his friends he's made in Michigan. I'm sure he feels a lot of loyalty to the Wings ownership and leadership and even to the fans.

Then on the other side he feels loyalty to his home country and the tug of family.

It's not an easy decision by any means. If he's swayed one way or the other I don't hold it against him.
If this is truly about his family, none of those things should be able to keep him in Detroit. So if he's ultimately willing to put the team ahead of his daughter's happiness, shame on him.

And if it turns out this is some kind of bizarre bargaining chip, there isn't a proper descriptor for how shameful that would be.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Datsyuk leaving is worse then Federov leaving. Datsyuk has one more year on his contract and will screw the wings over next year. Federov had no reason to resign with the Wings as he was a free agent and could be replaced.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Datsyuk leaving is worse then Federov leaving. Datsyuk has one more year on his contract and will screw the wings over next year. Federov had no reason to resign with the Wings as he was a free agent and could be replaced.

Honestly, I'm ok with this.

Holland would most likely use that cap space on more bad UFA signings, which would likely "screw over" the Wings for more than just one season....

takimaki

Apr 14, 2010
Tim Hortons
Most of this is probably due to Pavel's agent being too greedy. Dats himself said something like "I probably should have done year-to-year contracts...", and in this situation he was most likely convinced/pressured into this albatross around the Wings' necks.

Now his agent is going around saying "wait wait, maybe he will change his mind!". Datsyuk gets some blame for not keeping a muzzle on this guy.

Meanwhile, the Yotes GM was just fired....wonder if this will have any bearing on interest in dead cap space.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Why?

It would be an incredibly difficult decision at the point where he's deciding whether or not to sign a multi-year contract in the first place. He's mid-contract right now so the decision should be easy. It's one he already made two years ago.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If this is truly about his family, none of those things should be able to keep him in Detroit. So if he's ultimately willing to put the team ahead of his daughter's happiness, shame on him.

And if it turns out this is some kind of bizarre bargaining chip, there isn't a proper descriptor for how shameful that would be.

No doubt this situation suck, but this is such a narrow view point. The reality is this decision hinges on several factors, such as but not limited to: family (more than just his daughter), longing to go home, health, team success, timing etc. To call out shame having never lived his experiences nor even had a conversation is the real shame.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Most of this is probably due to Pavel's agent being too greedy. Dats himself said something like "I probably should have done year-to-year contracts...", and in this situation he was most likely convinced/pressured into this albatross around the Wings' necks.

Now his agent is going around saying "wait wait, maybe he will change his mind!". Datsyuk gets some blame for not keeping a muzzle on this guy.

Meanwhile, the Yotes GM was just fired....wonder if this will have any bearing on interest in dead cap space.

It has to be said, it seems like Datsyuk's agent only actual NHL client is Datsyuk. That whole arrangement has the vibe of Datsyuk letting a friend be his agent.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

Bargaining chip for what?

He can already probably make more money playing in the KHL, what could he possibly be bargaining for here?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Datsyuk is done. The guy has another person's tendon holding his ankle together.

He is going out on a 'highish" note, unlike another player who will not be mentioned, but his name rhymes with "Mleary."

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

It's not just one thing probably. His family is a big part of it but so is playing one year in the KHL before he retires from hockey permanently.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Wonder if this is almost an excuse to have a mini tank. "Datsyuk left us prematurely, couldn't move his contract, completely unexpected, can't replace him, parity." Wings claim to strike out in free agency and on good deals, sit with the dead cap space, fall out of the playoffs, draft Liljegren, move forward.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
I wouldn't take it far. His legacy is gonna take a bit of a hit though, so that's enough.

If he ended up doing that, it'd be a pretty bizarre development for sure. :popcorn:

Maybe Mitch Albom just planned to do an interview with Datsyuk and didn't end up making it and fabricated a story of how the thought the interview might go? :sarcasm:

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Even with out Datsyuk, we are not a bad enough team to tank. We will be picking maybe 2-3 spots earlier, not top 5. Detroit would have to move pieces that it won't move to actually tank. Aka Zetterberg and Krownwall and that won't happen unless they ask for a chance to be moved to a contender which neither will.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Even with out Datsyuk, we are not a bad enough team to tank. We will be picking maybe 2-3 spots earlier, not top 5. Detroit would have to move pieces that it won't move to actually tank. Aka Zetterberg and Krownwall and that won't happen unless they ask for a chance to be moved to a contender which neither will.

Imagine Z and Kronwall picking up next season, with 18+ minutes a night, where they left off this season? Z was really great the first 30 games and Kronwall was at least solid. They start the season as bad as they were to end this one and this team is back 5 wins, and at least 10 points in the first half of the season. By that point they are outside of the playoff picture and probably end 15 points back of their current place. That puts them, if things shake out around they same way they did this season, in the bottom 5.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Let's see what the kids got and maybe we can have a mild chance at winning the lottery, that's all I can hope for at this point.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Datsyuk is done. The guy has another person's tendon holding his ankle together.

He is going out on a 'highish" note, unlike another player who will not be mentioned, but his name rhymes with "Mleary."

Why not just go the Franzen route then?

Why the public retirement proclamations? It all seems ill conceived.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Why not just go the Franzen route then?

Why the public retirement proclamations? It all seems ill conceived.

Franzen isn't going to play hockey anywhere as he can't. Datsyuk is actually going to make more in the KHL even with the crappy ruble than he likely would with the Wings. I guess we will see, but when he signs for 500,000,000 rubles next year well....

Datsyuk cannot LTIR and play in another league. Even the mental gymnastics the league did to employ Pronger don't quite cover having Datsyuk on LTIR while playing hockey in another league.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
This.

THN's Ken Campbell on the Datsyuk debacle

As for this last part....

But he’s one of the good guys, which is why the vast majority of people will be able to overlook this. But it will be interesting to see if those same Red Wing fans who are leaping to Datsyuk’s defense will be as forgiving next season if this situation lands their team in a world of hurt.

Oh, they will, Ken. They've already pinned the whole mess on Ken Holland. They've accomplished a level of mental gymnastics that both protects them from rationally devaluing a player they've loved for a decade and a half, as well as continuing to skewer the GM that is at fault for nearly every single thing they perceive to be wrong with the organization. The most convenient and feel-good narrative has already been scripted, and nothing that happens next season will change it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
This.

Oh, they will, Ken. They've already pinned the whole mess on Ken Holland. They've accomplished a level of mental gymnastics that both protects them from rationally devaluing a player they've loved for a decade and a half, as well as continuing to skewer the GM that is at fault for nearly every single thing they perceive to be wrong with the organization. The most convenient and feel-good narrative has already been scripted, and nothing that happens next season will change it.

I don't but I expect to be in the minority.

I will never think less of him as a player. I appreciate the years we got, but this is extremely crappy and it falls on Pavel first and foremost in my eyes and I remain unchanged on that.

Really I think if they keep his contract they should absolutely enforce the transfer rules and find him in breach of it if he signs in the KHL. Tough but is business is business.

There are absolutely things that could change this narrative though. Like if Pavel sits out next year, I will immediately take that back cap hit or no. Of course in that event he would just be LTIR money.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
This.

Okay, who is at fault for the slow decline of this team?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $275.00