Confirmed with Link: Pavel Datsyuk to Mitch Album: I'm going home next season

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
MOD: Confirmation in post #220

OK, our game today was a total stinker. But to me the most interesting thing to happen during the broadcast was that colorman Mickey Redmond went on, to some length, about the scenario of Pavel Datsyuk not playing out his contract next year.

He said that it was no secret that Datsyuk wanted to finish his career in Russia. He also went on to explain to fans that Datsyuk's cap hit would remain on the books if Datsyuk were to leave, thus making it even harder to swallow. He finished his commentary by saying that Datsyuk loves playing with Abdelkader, the piano puller, and that he was also very complimentary to Mantha. Mickey said that maybe playing with Mantha next year would be enough to entice Datsyuk to stay.

Was this just random chattering from our beloved color commentator? Perhaps. But it felt like a very strange thing to bring up in a sloppy game. I'm inclined to think that Mickey has heard rumblings about Datsyuk calling it an NHL career. Otherwise, why even bother bringing up the idea of Mantha being an incentive?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Not gonna happen. Datsyuk is still solid, he's not gonna leave some ~4M in liquid on the table, and he's not gonna screw the Wings organization like that. It's one year. Mickey is just worried because the "sky is falling."

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Random rumblings.

Even if he's on the fence. Holland could say. If you play this year your number goes up in the rafters. And he's here

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Losing Datsyuk would sting big time, but that cap hit would really kneecap the Wings. How did New Jersey avoid being stuck with Kovalchuk's cap, or are they still paying for that?

The Geelee

Jul 27, 2013
I believe there is a lot of incentive for Datsyuk to leave next year and a lot of disincentive for him to stay.

If he left, would his cap hit still effect Detroit? If so, talk about a terrible situation.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Losing Datsyuk would sting big time, but that cap hit would really kneecap the Wings. How did New Jersey avoid being stuck with Kovalchuk's cap, or are they still paying for that?

They are on the books for 250K every season according to the cap sites. That's it. The league decided to let the contract slide after all the fuss about it, including the retirement. The league flip flopped on that issue a few times.

The rules are a lot more clear now, though. Datsyuk's deal falls pretty cut and dry under counting against the cap.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That would suck so much. I don't really believe it but it's been a rough season for Pavel and if this was the last year on his contract I wouldn't have expected him to stay. He may feel like he no longer can compete on the level he wants to in the NHL and thus is thinking about calling it quits.

No point worrying about it though.. but this could be an interesting summer for the Wings.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes

I believe they used a buyout and so are stuck with only a fraction of the cap hit.

That whole situation is a mess so I could be wrong.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I would say that it's scary because I don't see Mickey saying anything about that without having heard something.

I know right, Mickeys not the kind of guy to say that a certain player might be leaving without having some factual point to base it on. But seeing that if Datsyuk did decide to call it a career after this year. His $7.5M caphit would sting quite a bit and that would be very mean of him to do this to a franchise that solidly supported him in his career.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I would say that it's scary because I don't see Mickey saying anything about that without having heard something.

Yeah, don't forget the commentary team go where the team goes. I imagine Datsyuk may have expressed his frustration to Mickey over a few ginger beers.

Who knows, maybe it's just leverage for Dats to be traded to a contender at the draft? Pavel is my favourite ever player, the thought of him being traded breaks my heart :help:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I know right, Mickeys not the kind of guy to say that a certain player might be leaving without having some factual point to base it on. But seeing that if Datsyuk did decide to call it a career after this year. His $7.5M caphit would sting quite a bit and that would be very mean of him to do this to a franchise that solidly supported him in his career.

Honestly, that's probably what keeps him around. Not, as Mickey suggested, playing with Mantha. I doubt he would want to sting the Wings like that. Plus, it's a great paycheck - $5.5 million in actual salary. But I'm just guessing, of course.

It was just pretty odd to hear Mantha being dangled as a carrot to keep Datsyuk motivated to stay. You don't just pull that kind of thing out of your butt. Mickey and the other broadcast team hang out with these guys regularly.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
I feel like Mickey was venting out of frustration. Pav doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would discuss his career aspirations with Mickey. By all accounts, he's a very private guy. I think just speculation and frustration on Mickey's part

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I feel like Mickey was venting out of frustration. Pav doesn't strike me as the type of guy who would discuss his career aspirations with Mickey. By all accounts, he's a very private guy. I think just speculation and frustration on Mickey's part

That's possible. I certainly hope you're right! I've mentally prepared for next year being the final season, but when he started talking about this being the final few games I was like... :cry:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

I know from every thing that i read about Datsyuk is that he's a pretty private person, And i can't see him telling Mickey his personal business either doesn't sound like him. We've already known for sometime that he wants to go back home to Russia and play a few years there before he calls it a career and he still can after next season.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I can't see Datsyuk leaving with the Wings on the hook for his cap hit like that. He'll play out his final year then go home.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
I also want to say, though I'm not 100% certain if it's true or not, that he wouldn't be able to play in the KHL while under contract in the NHL and vice versa. I want to say the two leagues came to an agreement after a few players started to use the other league as leverage. I could be way off on this, though.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I believe there is a lot of incentive for Datsyuk to leave next year and a lot of disincentive for him to stay.

If he left, would his cap hit still effect Detroit? If so, talk about a terrible situation.

Yup we're still stuck with his caphit, Seeing that is deal is a 35+ signing so if Datsyuk should call it a career in the NHL this year then yes we're stuck with his $7.5 million caphit next season.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I can't see Datsyuk leaving with the Wings on the hook for his cap hit like that. He'll play out his final year then go home.

I know i can't see him doing that to the Wings either, If he did that would be pretty terrible of him i would think. Maybe just maybe if he came to Holland and asked for a trade to a contending team next season for one possible cup run then maybe that's something that i could see happening. But i just can't see him walking away from $5.5 million that's a lot of money to walk away from.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
If he really wants to leave Holland's aimless slowly sinking ship (who could blame him) why not try and convince him to accept a trade to a contender. For example if Washington fails this year I could see them putting in an offer for Dats and we could get a couple nice pieces in the trade and Dats gets to play on a legit contender one last time before heading back home, Win win. Better than losing him for nothing.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
Probably only Pavel knows for sure. Maybe frustrated at his own declining skills and maybe frustrated that the team is in perpetual first round exit mode. He seems like an honorable guy but only Pavel knows about his own health and his personal life. I doubt he shares it with Mick

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If he really wants to leave Holland's aimless slowly sinking ship (who could blame him) why not try and convince him to accept a trade to a contender. For example if Washington fails this year I could see them putting in an offer for Dats and we could get a couple nice pieces in the trade and Dats gets to play on a legit contender one last time before heading back home, Win win. Better than losing him for nothing.

This is pretty much the exact same thinking i had as well, If Datsyuk would ask Holland to trade him to a cup contender say Washington at the draft and say that Washington doesn't win it all this year. Datsyuk with Ovie and Backstrom would be dangerous was just looking at cap friendly and noticed that TJ Oshie has 1 year left on his deal and was thinking that if Oshie has no future in Washington and then maybe a Oshie for Datsyuk swap would work for both clubs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad