Confirmed with Link: Pavel Datsyuk to Mitch Album: I'm going home next season

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
Dude is pure class. He's had a great career, became a Detroit legend and loaded his bank account. Some things are more important than hockey. The Magic Man will be greatly missed and I wish him all the best as returns home to his family.

Amen. One of the greatest Red Wings of all time. Plus he was fun to watch. Made moves that have never been seen before.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Not sure what's going on, but i found this tid-bit online

The Red Wings, however, surely would attempt to trade his rights to a team that needs to reach the cap floor, such as the Arizona Coyotes. That club's cap number would increase without having to pay the player.

"Both Pavel and I would work with the Red Wings to do whatever is necessary to address the salary cap situation in any way possible," Milstein said. "He feels bad. He feels the team has been loyal to him."

I think people are stressing over nothing right now. Yes Pavel *might* leave, but he his salary might not be on the books, either.

Alot can happen in the next few months...

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
So you are calling Pavel an idiot?

No, I'm not calling him an idiot, but I don't think topic of the conversation was what happens when he leaves early, and I don't think he is tuned into the CBA as much as some are? Hell a lot of avid fans don't know the full context of the rule and so forth.

Please don't turn what I'm saying into that I thin datsyuk is an idiot. He has said he wishes he could go back and do it differently because he didn't know or understand...

Side note: I think the whole Holland won't trade his contract is posturing. He rather Datsyuk stay then take a flyer on Stamkos. By going out and saying I rather hold on to the cap hit then see your name on another roster but ours shows a lot of loyalty and respect which could tug on Datsyuks heart strings.

I expect if Datsyik goes home the contract gets moved, but as of right now the Red Wings are focused on the playoffs and then convincing him to stay. By saying oh okay, we will just trade it helps Datsyuk say, oh okay they will be fine.

Last edited:

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
This organization is loyal to a fault and certainly has that reputation around the league.

I don't see them trading Pavel's cap hit.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I'd rather have Hedman after next year....but there is no way SFY lets him walk.

Yeah that's not happening, lol... I think having Stammer here would be amazeballz.

Stamkos
Larkin
Z

But I digress. I pretty sure Holland will try to move Pavel's contract and/or wipe it somehow.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
If there is a taker (Arizona), the Wings will certainly trade his cap hit.

archimet

Aug 17, 2008
If you want to get really strict on it... yeah, nobody should. You sign a deal, you should honor it.

Maybe in an ideal world... But in business contracts are signed and contracts are broken all of the time. Pavel and the Wings negotiated that contract almost 3 years ago. His health has changed. His situation at home has changed. Just ask yourself whether 2 1/2 years ago you could have perfectly predicted everything that's happened to you since. Situations change. This was the best deal both sides could agree on when then negotiated the deal. At the time, they didn't have the luxury of simply looking at history to judge the deal.

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
If Stamkos does become available and Detroit can find a taker for Datsyuk's cap hit, I imagine Detroit might go all in to try and get Stammer. After losing Datsyuk theyre gonna want someone the fans will want to see especially heading into the new building. Whether or not they can land Stamkos is a different arguement.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
If Stamkos does become available and Detroit can find a taker for Datsyuk's cap hit, I imagine Detroit might go all in to try and get Stammer. After losing Datsyuk theyre gonna want someone the fans will want to see especially heading into the new building. Whether or not they can land Stamkos is a different arguement.

If they can clear Datsyuk's cap hit, I wouldn't write off the possibility of signing Stamkos; It's far from being a sure thing that he signs in Toronto, we're close enough to Markham that he'd be playing in his back yard, and he's likely quite familiar with the classy aspects of the DRW organization, considering all of the Detroit connections within the Bolts' organization. He's also likely familiar with what the District Detroit site promises to be, it's been pretty well publicized. Plus, Babs has quite the reputation of being a complete hard-@**, while Blashill (when he's not trying to copy Babcock's every fiber) is known as a player's coach.

I figure that the money is probably the biggest issue here. It's not like Toronto's any closer to competing than we are.

NervousPerson

Apr 11, 2010
"Hi Don, you haven't been reading the news today, have you? No? Great. How 'bout Datsyuk for OEL and a little sweetener?"

Haha. A man can dream.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
I wonder how long ago it was that this interview with datsyuk actually took place. All it said was "recently". Whatever that means

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
"Hi Don, you haven't been reading the news today, have you? No? Great. How 'bout Datsyuk for OEL and a little sweetener?"

Haha. A man can dream.

Ken Holland would have complete criticism immunity for 5 more years if that happened. I would personally enforce it. You say one bad thing and I come to your house and make you edit your post.

God. Now you put that in my head and I know it has a .000000000000000000000000000000000000001% chance of happening but I want it so bad.

MVPete96

Nov 12, 2011
Michigan
The more I think about this situation the more I realize that the only selfish thing in all of this is Pavels insistence of playing in the KHL NEXT season. If he truly wanted to help the wings and if his biggest motivators are spending time with his daughter + his injuries then why not take the year off from hockey? LTIRetire from the NHL so wings won't have to eat cap hit. he can still live in Russia for the year, spend as much time as he wants with his daughter and rest up for a farewell tour in the KHL for 17-18.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
The more I think about this situation the more I realize that the only selfish thing in all of this is Pavels insistence of playing in the KHL NEXT season. If he truly wanted to help the wings and if his biggest motivators are spending time with his daughter + his injuries then why not take the year off from hockey? LTIRetire from the NHL so wings won't have to eat cap hit. he can still live in Russia for the year, spend as much time as he wants with his daughter and rest up for a farewell tour in the KHL for 17-18.

Victory lap and to be done with it seems. With the length of Franzen's contract and the fact that it's pretty obvious that Pavs can still play abusing LTIR can only end badly.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

If he plays more than a year in the KHL I'll feel worse about it.

But it sounds like he wants to play one year, as a "victory lap" before his legs get to the point where he cannot play professional hockey anymore. If he does another year in the NHL he may not be able to do that.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

He has said that he wants to play in the KHL at a high level, he doesn't want it to be an "unwarranted victory lap." He wants to compete in a meaningful way. I'm sure he feels that if he took a year off of hockey and then played in the KHL, he will have lost his edge.

So while family may be the top priority, make no mistake, being a force in the KHL is also a high priority for him.

LowFive

In Stevie We Trust
Jun 19, 2014
If we end up landing Stamkos then this will be a fine time for Pavel to move on but I don't see the odds of that being very high. Either way, i'll miss watching the magician when he's gone.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
nobody is too blame so long as holland can moves his contract AND uses that money on a big fish LONG TERM investment

it really is as simple as that

stamkos
okposo
lucic
ladd

ohh and forget about hedman it aint gonna happen and even if he did become ufa no team would or should worry about its own cap structure, you sign him and then worry about

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
What Holland probably doesn't want happening is for Datsyuk to return to the NHL in 2017 with a contending team for a playoff run for free.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
nobody is too blame so long as holland can moves his contract AND uses that money on a big fish LONG TERM investment

it really is as simple as that

stamkos
okposo
lucic
ladd

ohh and forget about hedman it aint gonna happen and even if he did become ufa no team would or should worry about its own cap structure, you sign him and then worry about

So as long as Ken Holland meets your specific criteria?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad