Confirmed with Link: Pavel Datsyuk to Mitch Album: I'm going home next season

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Oh well. That sucks. I'm gonna need tissues when he finally leaves :cry:

So holland. You gonna bring in somebody now or nah

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index...ll_a_chance_pavel_dat.html#incart_river_index

Okay, there is still a small chance that Datsyuk is not leaving. Ya all can chill now.

LOL, sounds like nothing more than damage control.

Sometimes I think Holland underestimates how much people pay attention to the implications of his moves or how much the internet has allowed people to become more informed. Like when he basically told Wings fans that Nyquist "wasn't the answer" shortly before Nyquist got called up and actually was the answer. Its like he thought the general response would be "Oh no! We'll miss you Pavel!!" and didn't realize so many people would be like "Hey, this move really ****s us over for next year and Holland doesn't look at all prepared to address it."

Like, man...Holland...We have (had) Capgeek. We can read the CBA. There are websites where we can interact with actual NHL scouts and ask them questions about players. This isn't 1998. We aren't relying on the Free Press to tell us how much a player is going to make anymore. We aren't relying on USA Today or HNIC to let us know what's going on with other NHL teams...

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Eh. It's like 75% he's gone after this season. The 25% is whatever tugs Pav will feel when Holland tells him he can't find a way to swing his cap hit. He'll feel loyalty to the team and not saddling them with a giant 7.5M in dead weight. Might be enough to get him to stay. But imo, probably not.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Sounds just too much like Pavel having made his decision already. Pretty sure that this last meeting won't change anything.

ANDI P IS CUTE

Oct 7, 2009
Windsor On
Well that sucks, big time. But I hope this ends up being a positive thing for the organization, since they'll need to make changes sooner or later. Z will be around for a few more years but Pav is a big loss and the streak is probably in very serious jeopardy now.

The cap hit hurts if they can't get rid of it, but honestly it's on Holland just as much. He took a risk giving a 3-year deal while knowing that Pav was already thinking about leaving.

arent they the same age?

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Whatever his decision, he is and will remain one of my all-time favorite NHL'ers, joining Stan Mikita, Sergei Fedorov, and Nick Lidstrom.

He was a joy to watch, pure magic and artistry, reason enough to tune in every night. And seeing him live was one of the highest points of my years as a fan. So much humility and class, a wonderful human being.

You will be missed, but thank you for all those years in a Red Wings sweater, Pasha. :)

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I am absolutely shocked at the level of vitriol sent Pavels way about this. The guy wants to go home and be where he grew up surrounded by his young family. He gave this town many years of fantastic service. He was one of the greatest puck players I have ever seen. You still dont see many up to that level.

This isn't on Datsyuk. This is on KH and his cohort for trying to push a man into doing what his heart doesnt want to do. The cap hit isnt the end of the world. God knows we've got way more cap tied up in useless contracts I am not sure what one more really affects that all that much.

I hope he gets his jersey retired at some point. I love Datsyuk!

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
I am absolutely shocked at the level of vitriol sent Pavels way about this. The guy wants to go home and be where he grew up surrounded by his young family. He gave this town many years of fantastic service. He was one of the greatest puck players I have ever seen. You still dont see many up to that level.

This isn't on Datsyuk. This is on KH and his cohort for trying to push a man into doing what his heart doesnt want to do. The cap hit isnt the end of the world. God knows we've got way more cap tied up in useless contracts I am not sure what one more really affects that all that much.

I hope he gets his jersey retired at some point. I love Datsyuk!

Holland has done plenty of things to deserve disdain, but this isn't one of them. This is completely and entirely on Datsyuk. He's a grown man. Most of his young family is here. His second wife and second daughter. It's his ex and teenage daughter who are in Russia. It's 9 more months he'd have to stay, minus visits. He couldn't negotiate more visits or something? Like the Wings wouldn't let him report late to camp or take a few extra days at the all star break? This is the price you pay when you get divorced. You get to see your kids less.

What Datsyuk did on the ice and what he's doing now are two different things. Not unlike Fedorov. Leaving the team in such a bad situation is a **** thing to do. Going public and trying to play the poor Pavel bit is irritating. He really HAS to be with his daughter, but he does camps here and in Russia in the offseason. He's still going to have to travel playing in the KHL. You either want to be with your daughter or you don't. He's talking out both sides of his ass.

DarkReign

Jan 30, 2008
Wow. Family first, always.

But....isn't Mickey Redmond the first person to mention this during that broadcast then the Freidman report?

Whoops

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Datsyuk didn't understand the contract, do people not understand that....??? He thought he could walk away, and the contract would disappear. He stayed this year for Detroit not the money.... He stayed this year so the wings wouldn't be stuck with the contract, he was ready to leave 15 million on the table to go home but he stayed because it would hurt the organization????

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Nah. I think this is an attempt to counter the fact that this has become a huge distraction. The idea here was to get ahead of the rumors, but they just blew the damn thing up. Management is flipping out. Fans are going crazy. It's the opposite of what they wanted.

If Milstein had any problem with the Mitch Albom interview, he could have addressed it. He was there for it. He was literally there in the room when Datsyuk said he's probably going to leave. This is just an attempt to fix a PR disaster. Milstein is trying to play on the idea that "probably" means that there's some small chance Datsyuk could change his mind.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Datsyuk didn't understand the contract, do people not understand that....??? He thought he could walk away, and the contract would disappear. He stayed this year for Detroit not the money.... He stayed this year so the wings wouldn't be stuck with the contract, he was ready to leave 15 million on the table to go home but he stayed because it would hurt the organization????

Meh. Idk about that. I do know he wishes he could have went one year deals

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
The people that blame datsyuk for this when he didn't understand that he would be hurting the team when he left and then still stayed because he didn't want to hurt the organization.... The guy loves Detroit and the red wings and has already shown that and made tons of sacrifices. Including this season with the surgeries and injuries and staying because leaving meant we were lost for the cap hit this year too.... Datsyuk is the perfect player in a sense of character... He isn't screwing anyone over and trying to do everything to not hurt us, but it's his family and the people that are mad after all he has given to this organization need a wake up call. He was a great player, but an even better person for detroits organization and community...

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Dude is pure class. He's had a great career, became a Detroit legend and loaded his bank account. Some things are more important than hockey. The Magic Man will be greatly missed and I wish him all the best as returns home to his family.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
The people that blame datsyuk for this when he didn't understand that he would be hurting the team when he left and then still stayed because he didn't want to hurt the organization.... The guy loves Detroit and the red wings and has already shown that and made tons of sacrifices. Including this season with the surgeries and injuries and staying because leaving meant we were lost for the cap hit this year too.... Datsyuk is the perfect player in a sense of character... He isn't screwing anyone over and trying to do everything to not hurt us, but it's his family and the people that are mad after all he has given to this organization need a wake up call. He was a great player, but an even better person for detroits organization and community...

He pays his agent a **** ton of money for him to know things like that. If his agent didn't know that, he sucks and he should be fired. Most fans knew it, but his agent didn't? I find that REEALLLY hard to believe.

Then his agent says he doesn't have much time in the summer to see his daughter? Why NOT? They've been done in April since he signed his contract. That's almost 5 months. So his daughter is the most important thing? Sorta, kinda, but not really.

Datsyuk is mad because it got out? Duh, that happens when you tell your business to everyone. Don't give interviews to the fiction writer Albom. Keep your mouth shut and it doesn't get out. Simple as that. It gives the team options and doesn't cause distractions. Stop blaming everyone else.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

So you are calling Pavel an idiot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad