Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich: Part VI

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Or you could sign him long-term and if the Kakko's of the world show they can replace him trade him in a couple years if necessary. There shouldn't be an issue cap-wise until Lafreniere needs a contract.

I'm not as worried about leaving a spot open on the right side (one exists, it's occupied by Blackwell but it won't be long term) as much as I'm worried about being tied into our current roster layout. We need some useful oomph and we aren't really getting that out of anyone in the top 9 other than Kreider when he feels like it and Gauthier lately when he actually plays.

Reactions: Sayba

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I'm not as worried about leaving a spot open on the right side (one exists, it's occupied by Blackwell but it won't be long term) as much as I'm worried about being tied into our current roster layout. We need some useful oomph and we aren't really getting that out of anyone in the top 9 other than Kreider when he feels like it and Gauthier lately when he actually plays.
You've said this a lot about Buch and I feel like it's only you saying it.

Buch is strong and willing on the walls and in the slot, and generally the first guy in chasing a puck when it's dumped. He's not the best player on the team at it by any means but I don't understand your insistence that he's a net negative there. I'd agree someone like Strome is, but I haven't seen it with Buch in at least 2 years.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
A $10m+ center is the only thing that will prevent us from keeping Buch long term. We can fit a $7-8m Zib and move things around to keep him. If Eichel or Barkov come to town, I don’t see how we keep him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
You've said this a lot about Buch and I feel like it's only you saying it.

Buch is strong and willing on the walls and in the slot, and generally the first guy in chasing a puck when it's dumped. He's not the best player on the team at it by any means but I don't understand your insistence that he's a net negative there. I'd agree someone like Strome is, but I haven't seen it with Buch in at least 2 years.

Being willing and actually being a positive are two different things though.

I agree that he doesn't shy away from the walls, but he gets rubbed out a ton. Its going to be a factor in the playoffs.

As for his puck chasing, it's great that he's busting his ass, but how often is he coming away with the puck? It's almost never.

Unless you want to part with someone else to fill these needs, he seems like the obvious one to go, well him and Strome.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
A $10m+ center is the only thing that will prevent us from keeping Buch long term. We can fit a $7-8m Zib and move things around to keep him. If Eichel or Barkov come to town, I don’t see how we keep him.
Honestly the money is better spent at center. I like buch but come on. Panarin kreider, LaF, kakko, Kravtsov how much long term dollars are we going to put on the wings?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Gauthier is certainly bigger and stronger than Buch but he’s not nearly the player right now. Buch has 26 points in 27 games this year and with the exception of Panarin he’s been our steadiest offensive producer all year long. Away from the puck his play has also been very good and he’s become one of our better penalty killers. He has a very rounded game now and is a valuable player.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Being willing and actually being a positive are two different things though.

I agree that he doesn't shy away from the walls, but he gets rubbed out a ton. Its going to be a factor in the playoffs.

As for his puck chasing, it's great that he's busting his ass, but how often is he coming away with the puck? It's almost never.
Disagree with basically all of this but that's fine.

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
With Brendan Smith off the books, a trade or demotion of DeAngelo and a trade of Strome, I don’t see how you can’t afford to sign Buchnevich to around 6 and still get a better centre than Strome. Lundkvist will be entry level and be great. Shesterkin won’t be getting a big raise. Chytil won’t get a big raise. Pretty easy if you ask me. Problem is there aren’t any good centres through free agency but maybe move Kakko, Kravtsov, Strome, 1st and Reunanen for Eichel.

Panarin Eichel Gauthier (I could see him doing well on this line)
Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Lafreniere Chytil Blackwell
Lemieux Howden PDG

Lindgren Fox
Miller Trouba
Schneider Lundkvist

Shesterkin Georgiev

I really like this and it's close to a realistic Eichel deal even with my bit of bias implanted in my brain. I think if we move Kakko in that deal we're keeping Kravtsov, and unfortunately I think in any Eichel deal we have to give up Lundkvist. I don't mind moving Nils if it's for Jack because I think our top 4 is already set and with Lundkvist coming up there's a rather big log jam on the blueline. I also think Georgiev is a goner in that sort of deal so something like,

-Strome
-Kakko
-Lundkvist
-Georgiev
-1st

With that move I'd say this team is incredibly closer to being a cup contender

Reactions: Reway10

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Gauthier is certainly bigger and stronger than Buch but he’s not nearly the player right now. Buch has 26 points in 27 games this year and with the exception of Panarin he’s been our steadiest offensive producer all year long. Away from the puck his play has also been very good and he’s become one of our better penalty killers. He has a very rounded game now and is a valuable player.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating Gauthier over Buchnevich. Gauthier's ice time should come at the expense of Howden, not Buch.

What I'm advocating for is more of than heavyness and lean that Gauthier has brought to the table lately, but in a more mature and just better package. Even if the talent or production isn't on par with Buch, it will benefit this team in the long run.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just to be clear, I'm not advocating Gauthier over Buchnevich. Gauthier's ice time should come at the expense of Howden, not Buch.

What I'm advocating for is more of than heavyness and lean that Gauthier has brought to the table lately, but in a more mature and just better package. Even if the talent or production isn't on par with Buch, it will benefit this team in the long run.

I don’t have a problem with Gauthier playing over Howden but as for last night’s game I didn’t have an issue sitting Gauthier. I know he scored a pretty nifty goal the game before but he also took a holding penalty in the 1st followed by a highstick in the 2nd that the Flyers converted into a powerplay goal that tied the game at 3-3 and then took another highstick only this time of the 4 minute variety which the Flyers converted into another powerplay goal tying the game again at 4-4 and then we found ourselves in overtime. It’s enough especially the second highstick penalty. A team can’t be stuck killing 4 penalties just from one player particularly those of a repeat nature.

Play Gauthier again tomorrow—I’m fine but he needed a learning moment.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don’t have a problem with Gauthier playing over Howden but as for last night’s game I didn’t have an issue sitting Gauthier. I know he scored a pretty nifty goal the game before but he also took a holding penalty in the 1st followed by a highstick in the 2nd that the Flyers converted into a powerplay goal that tied the game at 3-3 and then took another highstick only this time of the 4 minute variety which the Flyers converted into another powerplay goal tying the game again at 4-4 and then we found ourselves in overtime. It’s enough especially the second highstick penalty. A team can’t be stuck killing 4 penalties just from one player particularly those of a repeat nature.

Play Gauthier again tomorrow—I’m fine but he needed a learning moment.

Can’t play Gauthier tomorrow. Everyone in the yesterday’s lineup did well. Got to sit one more game.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
BTW, this is coming from probably one of Buchnevich’s biggest supporters here since he was drafted. He’s not a PPG player entering his prime. He’s still probably closer to around 0.75 give or take who just got a bit lucky recently to offset many no puck luck he’s experienced over the years.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Can’t play Gauthier tomorrow. Everyone in the yesterday’s lineup did well. Got to sit one more game.

Gauthier has made some strides this year but it’s not like he’s a proven player. Howden is more run of the mill but he also helped set up Lemieux’s winning goal so yeah that could happen. Of more importance to me than which one of them gets to play tomorrow are things like ‘has Zibanejad got his game back?’ To me some of these bottom line selection issues are really not a lot more than nitpicking.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Buch is about on the same level as Hayes talent/production wise, when the Rangers traded Hayes. Different positions but same level of impact.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
We made the choice already when we signed Kreider. It's great that Buch is having a good season but unless you all want to move 1 or 2 of Kakko, Lafreniere, Kravtsov and their lower salaries we don't have room for them all.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
We made the choice already when we signed Kreider. It's great that Buch is having a good season but unless you all want to move 1 or 2 of Kakko, Lafreniere, Kravtsov and their lower salaries we don't have room for them all.

Trading Buchnevich to a team that's ready to win now... Man, the haul would be amazing.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Gauthier has made some strides this year but it’s not like he’s a proven player. Howden is more run of the mill but he also helped set up Lemieux’s winning goal so yeah that could happen. Of more importance to me than which one of them gets to play tomorrow are things like ‘has Zibanejad got his game back?’ To me some of these bottom line selection issues are really not a lot more than nitpicking.

Totally agree. Put Lemiuex, Howden, PDG, Gauthier names in the bowl and randomly pick two to play with Rooney - I wouldn't care.

Zibanejad has been coming around. It wasn't just one game - shouldn't have caught us off guard if you're paying attention. Very looking forward to what he can do the rest of the season.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
hope not. i think he should be given a look at center. he has a little experience at it

??? He has no NHL experience and he doesn’t have much experience at the position and you want to play him there anyway. Seems to me you’re setting him up for failure. The Rangers may play him with better players at first but it’s likely they’re going to limit his minutes in his first games to see where his game is at and how he fits in. I’m pretty sure they’re not going to play him at an unfamiliar position.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yea I'm not really sure how some posters see any scenario at all that was can keep Buch unless you think Kakko/Laf/Fox/Igor/Miller are being traded away, which they aren't. People seem to forget there is a salary cap and players will get raises (some very significant) over the next years.

Just enjoy the haul we will get back for him if he keeps up this play, hopefully a nice young cost controlled center.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Not sure how anyone can think it's even possible to lock him up. We have a salary cap. When we signed Kreider to that massive contract and we won the lottery, Buch became an afterthought.

Best thing is Buch is making is value sky high, especially being a RFA still. Buch, who has emerged as a legit 1st line player, and a B tier prospect should absolutely be able to yield a top center prospect.

Neither Kakko nor Lafreniere have earned a significant payday yet. Barring a huge season next year, Kakko is unlikely to cost much on his next contract. Laf is 2 years away. There's no reason we can't re-sign Buchnevich and explore trading him if and when the money actually gets tight. The only caveat there is trade protection. If Buch wants an NMC starting in year 2 of the deal and we can't get him signed without it, then we may have to trade him sooner rather than later. But if he has no/limited trade protection, then we can keep him for as long as we can afford him. Maybe we can keep him long enough that other players' (Kreider, Trouba) trade protection runs out, and we can move them instead.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Well if we're concerned about having too many wings and not enough centers it would seem logical to try Buchnevich as a center considering if it works out maybe he can be a long term piece as the 2C for the team and if it doesn't work you just move him back to wing and it's not a huge loss since he likely does not have a long term future here as a W.

He's never done it but he also didn't PK before either and that's working out well. What's to lose?

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad