Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich: Part VI

AirGut

Jul 1, 2019
Larry Brooks Bus Stop
www.capfriendly.com
We'll lock him up for another 4-5 years easy. Guy is fan favorite and a positive locker room influence, also you can just tell he loves it here. The only way we trade him is if it's getting a young stud C in return, think Necas or Yamamoto. A deal similar to when Drouin was traded for a young stud D would make sense considering we are in deep need for C support but I'm sure we can find it in other ways. Also, none of those teams will likely entertain it so we should just keep him. Trading him for picks and prospects would be a massive mistake. The only thing that makes me concerned is if Kravtsov comes in and is truly a difference maker. At that point we have a bit of a logjam at RW.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
We'll lock him up for another 4-5 years easy. Guy is fan favorite and a positive locker room influence, also you can just tell he loves it here. The only way we trade him is if it's getting a young stud C in return, think Necas or Yamamoto. A deal similar to when Drouin was traded for a young stud D would make sense considering we are in deep need for C support but I'm sure we can find it in other ways. Also, none of those teams will likely entertain it so we should just keep him. Trading him for picks and prospects would be a massive mistake. The only thing that makes me concerned is if Kravtsov comes in and is truly a difference maker. At that point we have a bit of a logjam at RW.

Hoping for the Center.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not sure how anyone can think it's even possible to lock him up. We have a salary cap. When we signed Kreider to that massive contract and we won the lottery, Buch became an afterthought.

Best thing is Buch is making is value sky high, especially being a RFA still. Buch, who has emerged as a legit 1st line player, and a B tier prospect should absolutely be able to yield a top center prospect.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Not sure how anyone can think it's even possible to lock him up. We have a salary cap. When we signed Kreider to that massive contract and we won the lottery, Buch became an afterthought.

Best thing is Buch is making is value sky high, especially being a RFA still. Buch, who has emerged as a legit 1st line player, and a B tier prospect should absolutely be able to yield a top center prospect.

If the Rangers really want to keep him, they'll find a way.

That said, if he can be traded for a top center prospect, definitely have to consider it.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
8BAEDED8-F797-49E9-B81F-E71ABA1784D3.png

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The cap will be flat for every team. Buch isn’t likely to get much better from another team than he will from us. He could try holding out but there will be only so much money in the marketplace. He’ll get a raise but I think he and a lot of other players or going to find themselves playing at a discount or not playing at all.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Sign Buch to covid adjusted contract WITHOUT giving NTC clause and move it when his replacements (who hopefully have similar level of performance at that point) are due for big bucks.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Cycling out vets for kids is fine, but ppg players demand some extra thought. Imo you try to sign him with no NTC or you move him for a clear 2C, not a potential one

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
26 points now in 27 games. His game went through roof the last half or so of this season.

Nope. Same level as at the start of the season. Yet again it shows that you can't take very short time periods to project full season statistical performance. Too many things go into generating one actual goal that are out of players control. From a different perspective there are hundreds of plays during one team game but only single digits goals are being generated. Over a long course like full season or so if you make right plays more often than not than it should translate into goals and assists but it's not necessarily true over a short period of time. And vice versa.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
honestly you take out blackwell and put kravtsov there....everyone wins

however in two years youll have a problem

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Sign Buch to covid adjusted contract WITHOUT giving NTC clause and move it when his replacements (who hopefully have similar level of performance at that point) are due for big bucks.
You're going to need to pay him a premium if you're not going to give him a NTC. I don't know if we really have the cap space.

I love Buch (who doesn't? especially after this year), but I agree that the Kreider contract plus draft lottery considerations make him a dispensable bargaining chip for an elite-talent center. Strome is not going to be on the team long term, and you will need a replacement when that contract expires.

I know people don't want to hear this after a 9-0 win, but I still see us as sellers at the deadline.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
You're going to need to pay him a premium if you're not going to give him a NTC. I don't know if we really have the cap space.

I love Buch (who doesn't? especially after this year), but I agree that the Kreider contract plus draft lottery considerations make him a dispensable bargaining chip for an elite-talent center. Strome is not going to be on the team long term, and you will need a replacement when that contract expires.

I know people don't want to hear this after a 9-0 win, but I still see us as sellers at the deadline.

I hear you but we're talking semantics now. You say "premium" (which is generally viewed as a basis which is then "discounted" if there's NTC) I counter with an adjustment for the flat cap for the foreseeable future. In either case the key is no NTC and there will be room under the cap for at least a couple of seasons until kids are due big bucks.

On the other hand if there's a premium center (as in close to Buch's current performance) that's available as Buch's replacement - then I'd be game.

Reactions: Peltz

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If you want to keep Buchnevich, you keep him for a shorter deal ala the one Strome just got last year.

That way you're not plugging up a spot long term and hes still moveable if he takes a step back.

We're going to need those dollars down the line. Locking him up long term would be a really bad idea.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
If you want to keep Buchnevich, you keep him for a shorter deal ala the one Strome just got last year.

That way you're not plugging up a spot long term and hes still moveable if he takes a step back.

We're going to need those dollars down the line. Locking him up long term would be a really bad idea.
Or you could sign him long-term and if the Kakko's of the world show they can replace him trade him in a couple years if necessary. There shouldn't be an issue cap-wise until Lafreniere needs a contract.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
With Brendan Smith off the books, a trade or demotion of DeAngelo and a trade of Strome, I don’t see how you can’t afford to sign Buchnevich to around 6 and still get a better centre than Strome. Lundkvist will be entry level and be great. Shesterkin won’t be getting a big raise. Chytil won’t get a big raise. Pretty easy if you ask me. Problem is there aren’t any good centres through free agency but maybe move Kakko, Kravtsov, Strome, 1st and Reunanen for Eichel.

Panarin Eichel Gauthier (I could see him doing well on this line)
Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Lafreniere Chytil Blackwell
Lemieux Howden PDG

Lindgren Fox
Miller Trouba
Schneider Lundkvist

Shesterkin Georgiev

Reactions: AirGut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad