Player Discussion Pavel Buchnevich: Part VI

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Neither Kakko nor Lafreniere have earned a significant payday yet. Barring a huge season next year, Kakko is unlikely to cost much on his next contract. Laf is 2 years away. There's no reason we can't re-sign Buchnevich and explore trading him if and when the money actually gets tight. The only caveat there is trade protection. If Buch wants an NMC starting in year 2 of the deal and we can't get him signed without it, then we may have to trade him sooner rather than later. But if he has no/limited trade protection, then we can keep him for as long as we can afford him. Maybe we can keep him long enough that other players' (Kreider, Trouba) trade protection runs out, and we can move them instead.

this x 10100101002020010130013404010405

ngl, Buch has to lift his Cup with us. He could easily command 8mil/y with his play though. But as GAGline says, we have major cap-space after this season and Buch is probably the best option to spend it on.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
If Buch settles for 6 X 6, we would need to give him a no move, for at least the first 4 years of that deal, but I still think it's a great deal for both sides.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009

ngl, Buch has to lift his Cup with us. He could easily command 8mil/y with his play though. But as GAGline says, we have major cap-space after this season and Buch is probably the best option to spend it on.

Not a chance I would pay him anything higher than Kreider and Kreider's contract was pre-covid.

Reactions: charliemurphy

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Buch is pacing 80 points in a covid ravaged season. I'm waiting until at the very least the end of this season for him to prove the stats an outlier. I honestly wouldn't call him a 60pt forward until the end of next season as that is when we will have a near exact picture of who he is.

Truly looking like an elite breakout year which a lot of us have seen in him since he was a 18.
When you look at last year and so far this year, a 60 point player is who he has been. This is now encompassing over a year's worth of games. But fair enough.

One thing is for certain. If he is to be moved, the return profile has certainly changes. He has become a pretty big piece in any possible deal.

Reactions: Rongomania

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Not in the covid impacted cap for the next few years. Even Kreider's contract is not a comparable. My guess would the amount would be closer to $6m probably even from the lower side.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If Buch settles for 6 X 6, we would need to give him a no move, for at least the first 4 years of that deal, but I still think it's a great deal for both sides.
$6x6 won't require NTC in this environment and as it's been discussed it's a major consideration for the contract to be moveable.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
When you look at last year and so far this year, a 60 point player is who he has been. This is now encompassing over a year's worth of games. But fair enough.

One thing is for certain. If he is to be moved, the return profile has certainly changes. He has become a pretty big piece in any possible deal.

Last year Buchnevich had absolutely no luck for a whole month of December. Offsetting it with some "lucky" points he was able to get recently he's ben about mid-60 PPS going deep into the 2nd season at this level.

NYRFANMANI

Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Not a chance I would pay him anything higher than Kreider and Kreider's contract was pre-covid.

Don't get me wrong, me neither. That's like open market "command".

Not in the covid impacted cap for the next few years. Even Kreider's contract is not a comparable. My guess would the amount would be closer to $6m probably even from the lower side.

That would be awesome. At 6m/y I think Buchy is a no-brainer.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Last year Buchnevich had absolutely no luck for a whole month of December. Offsetting it with some "lucky" points he was able to get recently he's ben about mid-60 PPS going deep into the 2nd season at this level.
As we have said, no one is saying that he is not to be traded at all costs or is not to be traded at all. No. But to treat his value as anything other a legit two-way top line RW seems disingenuous.

Reactions: kovazub94

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, me neither. That's like open market "command".

That would be awesome. At 6m/y I think Buchy is a no-brainer.
That is fine, even a bit less ($5.5). But then understand that there is no elite center coming and ZBad is getting traded. I am not saying they need to get one, but that is what a resigned Buchnevich means.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

He can't have any movement clause in the 1st year of the deal, as that is an RFA year. After that, yes, if he wants an NMC, that will be an issue. We could still sign him and potentially trade him before the NMC kicks in, but better to have the flexibility of a limited NTC, or no clause at all.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood

Agree 100%

If he goes you have to package him with this years first or an A prospect. Get that young beast C.

I can't see anything other than that truly being a sufficient return.

NYRFANMANI

Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
That is fine, even a bit less ($5.5). But then understand that there is no elite center coming and ZBad is getting traded. I am not saying they need to get one, but that is what a resigned Buchnevich means.

Sry, I don't see both happening here. It's either deal for elite or re-sign Zibs and see.
Chytil has to become a 2nd C, the bottom-6 we fill out somehow.

Smith's contract is up this year, add that to buch and you're left with some change. 5.5-6ish m/y
Next year it's Strome and we can add that to Zib and might be left with some change. 7.5-8ish m/y

And we still have all that sweet dead cap left for the youngins, that will all get bridge deals.

I see no issue re-signing both. The key factor is Chytil solidifying himself in the top-6, so that Strome becomes expendable.

Tbf I'm counting on Barron stepping in the bottom-6 and the next two drafts!

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Agree 100%

If he goes you have to package him with this years first or an A prospect. Get that young beast C.

I can't see anything other than that truly being a sufficient return.
Your young beast C is going to cost. A lot. The teams that have them are probably not looking to move them. So you look at someone like Lindholm for example. His price will probalby not be all that much less than Eichel's.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sry, I don't see both happening here. It's either deal for elite or re-sign Zibs and see.
Chytil has to become a 2nd C, the bottom-6 we fill out somehow.
If you trade for Eichel, there is no Chytil or ZBad. If you resign Buch, you are not dealing for Eichel and are probably not bringing back Mika.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Your young beast C is going to cost. A lot. The teams that have them are probably not looking to move them. So you look at someone like Lindholm for example. His price will probalby not be all that much less than Eichel's.

It will certainly be interesting to see how this unfolds. And honestly, the more difficult these decisions - the better our team is becoming.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Neither Kakko nor Lafreniere have earned a significant payday yet. Barring a huge season next year, Kakko is unlikely to cost much on his next contract. Laf is 2 years away. There's no reason we can't re-sign Buchnevich and explore trading him if and when the money actually gets tight. The only caveat there is trade protection. If Buch wants an NMC starting in year 2 of the deal and we can't get him signed without it, then we may have to trade him sooner rather than later. But if he has no/limited trade protection, then we can keep him for as long as we can afford him. Maybe we can keep him long enough that other players' (Kreider, Trouba) trade protection runs out, and we can move them instead.
Ok, so what happens when we give Buch a 4-5 year contract for 6M and in 2-3 years when those players need contracts? Just because Kakko and Laf don't deserve those contracts right now doesnt mean they wont in 2-3 years. Its very possible both will be legit 1st-2nd line players in 2-3 years.

Look I understand we all love Buch, but we have to think long term. When we signed Kreider to that ridiculous contract Buch became an afterthought (esp after winning the lottery)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Ok, so what happens when we give Buch a 4-5 year contract for 6M and in 2-3 years when those players need contracts? Just because Kakko and Laf don't deserve those contracts right now doesnt mean they wont in 2-3 years. Its very possible both will be legit 1st-2nd line players in 2-3 years.

Look I understand we all love Buch, but we have to think long term. When we signed Kreider to that ridiculous contract Buch became an afterthought (esp after winning the lottery)

In 2-3 years, if we need the cap space, we can trade Bunch then, or someone else if that makes more sense at the time. What's the rush. As I said the caveat is an nmc. If he demands one, that changes the conversation and accelerates the timeline for possibly moving him.

Reactions: kovazub94

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
In 2-3 years, if we need the cap space, we can trade Bunch then, or someone else if that makes more sense at the time. What's the rush. As I said the caveat is an nmc. If he demands one, that changes the conversation and accelerates the timeline for possibly moving him.
Rush is we may be able to get a very good cost controlled young center which we desperately want. Of course Buch will want a NMC, everyone else seems to get one with the Rangers. When we are up against the cap in 2-3 teams will give us a garbage deal for him knowing that we are the desperate ones.

We arent winning a cup in 1-2 years, what's the use of holding onto him? Give me that young center that will be entering his prime with Kakko/Laf when our cup window is opening.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Hopefully Buch is willing to take a hometown discount a la Zucc. He is not blocking any of the young wingers right now. Laf and Kakko are producing at fourth line clips. Kravtsov is still to be determined. Trading Buch would make the team actively worse next year if things don’t change course significantly.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Rush is we may be able to get a very good cost controlled young center which we desperately want. Of course Buch will want a NMC, everyone else seems to get one with the Rangers. When we are up against the cap in 2-3 teams will give us a garbage deal for him knowing that we are the desperate ones.

We arent winning a cup in 1-2 years, what's the use of holding onto him? Give me that young center that will be entering his prime with Kakko/Laf when our cup window is opening.

Okay. Tell me who that young center is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->