Prospect Info: Pavel Buchnevich Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The three of you should check the bolded part.

Yeah, that wasn't particularly clear you were referring to that when you said not signing Buch was legitimate issue. Wording issue

It definitely sounded like you were getting very anxious and irritated that he wasn't signed already.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Anyone else following this? Possible elbow/arm injury? It's Twitter so I'm taking it with many grains of salt...

https://twitter.com/blueshirtbanter/status/727447849185738752

According to Alex Nunn (more reliable than not on KHL things), he had an injury when leaving the Russian NT camp, but also said he was in Russia (healthy) a few days ago, soooo...

Regardless, an injury like this would probably be fine by the time camp rolls around.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
He had a wrist injury a couple weeks ago (that was reported). I brought it up but nobody cared lol. Guess it was a little more serious.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
As long as his arm doesn't fall off it'll probably be fine. Klein, McDonagh, Stepan, etc probably all had worse pictures of them at some point last season

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Sucks that now he can't workout and prepare for the season. Who knows how long this will keep him out.

Trou Trou Train

This is an Express train to Penn Station!
Aug 28, 2008
Long Island, NY
caZO3fd.png

He posted this a few hours ago.​

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Lol my thoughts exactly. Give Buch Kredier's body and we're set to go.

Have absolutely zero intention to single you out, but I do see comments similar to this all the time. I'm no fitness expert but different players thrive with different builds. Buch relies more on shiftiness and maneuverability and as such his slender physique is probably advantageous to him. Definitely needs to bulk up a little bit but surely there has to a limit. Kreider, on the other hand, I don't classify as shifty in the least bit. For as fast as he is, I think his build limits him in ways in that he can't dance around players with the ease that you might expect. Is why he's really only effective as a North-South player. Just my opinion.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Have absolutely zero intention to single you out, but I do see comments similar to this all the time. I'm no fitness expert but different players thrive with different builds. Buch relies more on shiftiness and maneuverability and as such his slender physique is probably advantageous to him. Definitely needs to bulk up a little bit but surely there has to a limit. Kreider, on the other hand, I don't classify as shifty in the least bit. For as fast as he is, I think his build limits him in ways in that he can't dance around players with the ease that you might expect. Is why he's really only effective as a North-South player. Just my opinion.

Yeah, same here.

People have complained about Buchnevich's lack of size since he was drafted but he'd probably be the strongest player on his skates and on his edges on the team.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Upper Body strength isn't that important for hockey, since it has nothing to do with skating, and very little to do with passing and shooting (those use your entire body).

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
lol I meant my comment more of as a joke of him becoming a machine with his skills and Kreider's physique.

In truth, despite Kreider being strong like bull he does not dominate even in areas where strength is an asset (board battles and dump and chase hockey). But saying upper body strength isn't that important in the NHL (Rangers Fail) is ignorant. Run and gun hockey doesn't require it but if you want to compete in the defensive zone and in playoff hockey then a little strength goes a long way. Obvious all within reason- he doesn't need to become bulky but a bit more strength would not be a bad thing.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
lol I meant my comment more of as a joke of him becoming a machine with his skills and Kreider's physique.

In truth, despite Kreider being strong like bull he does not dominate even in areas where strength is an asset (board battles and dump and chase hockey). But saying upper body strength isn't that important in the NHL (Rangers Fail) is ignorant. Run and gun hockey doesn't require it but if you want to compete in the defensive zone and in playoff hockey then a little strength goes a long way. Obvious all within reason- he doesn't need to become bulky but a bit more strength would not be a bad thing.

It seems to me that core and lower body strength is a lot more important for board battles, and especially for dump and chase (considering that if you're dumping the puck, you need to skate faster than your opponent to reach it). Board battles probably require some arm strength (not saying hockey should be played with noodle arms), but you're still using your lower body to plant yourself in a position where you can get the puck without someone else taking it away.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Like most hockey players he will gain upper body strength toward mid-20s as he matures. Overall, most hockey players (even more physical ones) don't have upper body definition of, say, football or a basketball pro. It is just not necessary.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
It seems to me that core and lower body strength is a lot more important for board battles, and especially for dump and chase (considering that if you're dumping the puck, you need to skate faster than your opponent to reach it). Board battles probably require some arm strength (not saying hockey should be played with noodle arms), but you're still using your lower body to plant yourself in a position where you can get the puck without someone else taking it away.

Agreed. I think where we differ is our definition of upper body- I consider anything above the waist upper body including the core (abs and back) and below the waist to be lower body.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Agreed. I think where we differ is our definition of upper body- I consider anything above the waist upper body including the core (abs and back) and below the waist to be lower body.

Yeah, I'm considering upper body to be arms, chest, shoulders. The core - I just consider it to be its own thing (not upper or lower).

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's not nearly as necessary as some other sports but there's also no reason to neglect upper body strength, it can be useful when fighting for position against other players and such

that said, I was joking and not being critical with my comment

MacTruck27

May 17, 2014
This certainly seems like cause for concern to me. It seems like He won't be able to maximize his off season training program the summer before his (presumptive) first season in the NHL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad