Prospect Info: Pavel Buchnevich Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Buch doesn't need to be a body builder. Watch him play, he plays very strong. Really hard to knock off the puck.

Was it you who made the Malkin comparison in regards to his strong base and ability to shield the puck? Like what was said above, if he has the core and leg strength now, he'll be fine. The upper body strengtj will follow

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was it you who made the Malkin comparison in regards to his strong base and ability to shield the puck? Like what was said above, if he has the core and leg strength now, he'll be fine. The upper body strengtj will follow

Plenty have made that comparison, so I don't want to take all the credit, but yes I have made that comparison before.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
You would be surprised how much it matters in contact hockey.

More so for defensemen and even then legs/core are most important. Hell one of MDZ's issues was focusing too much on upper body strength. If I recall the Rangers asked him to stop doing it so much.

dudeygumble

Nov 14, 2010
Saratoga Springs, NY
You would be surprised how much it matters in contact hockey.

"True story: I played with Drew Doughty his rookie year in Los Angeles. He came into camp and he could barely do one rep on the bench press. He’ll laugh about it now. He was not in shape at all, at least in the way these “Old Time Hockey†blowhards talk about it. Then we’d go out for practice and he’d be the best player on the ice. Doughty was just a pure, natural hockey player with incredible vision and a brain for the game."

Patrick O'Sullivan

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/patrick-osullivan-nhl-abuse/

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Random question: is 86 a big number for Russians? Buch used to wear it with severstal and I just notice kucherov is wearing it?

I know 17 is big because of kharalamov. Where does 86 track to?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Random question: is 86 a big number for Russians? Buch used to wear it with severstal and I just notice kucherov is wearing it?

I know 17 is big because of kharalamov. Where does 86 track to?

The year of Chernobyl? I'm mostly kidding.

And yes I know Chernobyl was in Ukraine.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He prefers 89, at least up to his time with Severstal. With Severstal, he wore 89. With Russia's National Teams, he usually wears 19. I'm pretty sure only numbers 1-30 are available for players with the Russian National Team. A Russian poster can maybe confirm that. With SKA, he wore 88. I have no clue why. There was no one on SKA who wore 89. He might now prefer 88.

The most famous player to wear 89 in the NHL was Alex Mogilny. This is just an assumption, but I think that would be where the inspiration to wear 89 came from. It certainly would make a lot of sense.

For potential numbers Buch might wear with the Rangers, he'd be the first player to wear 89. 19 isn't currently available, Jesper Fast wears it. 88 has been worn twice, Ken Hodge was first and most recently Eric Lindros.

Last edited:

mti79

May 11, 2007
He prefers 89, at least up to his time with Severstal. With Severstal, he wore 89. With Russia's National Teams, he usually wears 19. I'm pretty sure only numbers 1-30 are available for players with the Russian National Team. A Russian poster can maybe confirm that. With SKA, he wore 88. I have no clue why. There was no one on SKA who wore 89. He might now prefer 88.

The most famous player to wear 89 in the NHL was Alex Mogilny. This is just an assumption, but I think that would be where the inspiration to wear 89 came from. It certainly would make a lot of sense.

For potential numbers Buch might wear with the Rangers, he'd be the first player to wear 89. 19 isn't currently available, Jesper Fast wears it. 88 has been worn twice, Ken Hodge was first and most recently He Who Must Not Be Named.

Fixed.... I would prefer to forget forever that he ever suited up for us.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Listening to Buch in his first interview after joining SKA It sounded like Buch was under impression that #89 was not available. Was it a wrong impression or SKA for some reason doesn't make this number available, I don't know.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
We're looking forward to seeing his impact too. Heal up, get well soon, and be ready to lace em up.

I can't wait to see this kid in a Blueshirt.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

a0b90.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6