Prospect Info: Pavel Buchnevich Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You should look at the way the organization controls information before you start complaining that the messengers don't do their job.

And maybe, just maybe, you should look to top and ask why the General Manager has not said one word to the fans since his team was bounced from the playoffs.

I know how the Garden controls info, but to think all these people who's job is to report on the team can't get anything off the record on this very important subject speaks to how poorly they are doing their job.

I've also criticized Gorton a lot. He's on strike one already, and if he doesn't get Buch signed, that would be strike two. The Sather routine of ignoring the media is something I don't agree with either. So far, I don't approve of the job Gorton is doing.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Thats the frustrating part. How many beat reporters do we have? 8? 9? 10? How can none of them figure out whats happening? .

of all the beat writers,
seems to me Brooks is the only one of them that actually breaks news first,
i do believe he has better old-school inside connections

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Thats true. Brooks occasionally has something. Today he had a column though where he wrote about Buchnevich, and it was all speculation. If he had something, that would be the time to say it. Instead, he didn't mention any new info.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
I know how the Garden controls info, but to think all these people who's job is to report on the team can't get anything off the record on this very important subject speaks to how poorly they are doing their job.

I've also criticized Gorton a lot. He's on strike one already, and if he doesn't get Buch signed, that would be strike two. The Sather routine of ignoring the media is something I don't agree with either. So far, I don't approve of the job Gorton is doing.

I think you really underestimate how tightly the Garden controls all information--how can anyone report about something that no one is willing to talk about on or off the record? The only time people hear anything is because the decision has been made to publicize it. People lose their jobs if they say anything without the go ahead from above.

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
I think you really underestimate how tightly the Garden controls all information--how can anyone report about something that no one is willing to talk about on or off the record? The only time people hear anything is because the decision has been made to publicize it. People lose their jobs if they say anything without the go ahead from above.

Yup. It's funny how the entitlement of some fans makes it about beat reporters being BAD at their jobs by not having intentionally embargoed info, compared to the Garden employees being GOOD at their jobs by not breaking protocol.

The front office doesn't owe fans updates on their plans. Is it helpful for us to have an idea of what they're thinking? Yes. But the team's primary responsibility, and what we as fans should agree with them on, is to make this the best possible team. And if the front office believes keeping a tight lid is the best way to maintain bargaining power for contract and trade negotiations then so be it.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Yup. It's funny how the entitlement of some fans makes it about beat reporters being BAD at their jobs by not having intentionally embargoed info, compared to the Garden employees being GOOD at their jobs by not breaking protocol.

The front office doesn't owe fans updates on their plans. Is it helpful for us to have an idea of what they're thinking? Yes. But the team's primary responsibility, and what we as fans should agree with them on, is to make this the best possible team. And if the front office believes keeping a tight lid is the best way to maintain bargaining power for contract and trade negotiations then so be it.

Actually, I think the lack of information coming from the team is deplorable. There are plenty of sports organizations that communciate with their fans more openly and regularly. Plenty of things can be discussed in the media without compromising anything.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Actually, I think the lack of information coming from the team is deplorable. There are plenty of sports organizations that communciate with their fans more openly and regularly. Plenty of things can be discussed in the media without compromising anything.

Blame Dolan. Don't blame the team.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Negotiations are tedious and nuanced things, especially international ones. If imagine the rangers are advancing the process, but did it ever occur to anyone that the hold up is on buchnevich's side? Most notably, an insistence that he receives a guaranteed roster spot this fall?

Anyway, this thread is turning into a prime example of how some younger fans are me first brats.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Negotiations are tedious and nuanced things, especially international ones. If imagine the rangers are advancing the process, but did it ever occur to anyone that the hold up is on buchnevich's side? Most notably, an insistence that he receives a guaranteed roster spot this fall?

Anyway, this thread is turning into a prime example of how some younger fans are me first brats.

This is likely the hold up. It's the only reason he's been in Russia this long. I think in past interviews, he's always talked about "they don't have room for me right now, so I'll keep playing in the KHL."

The thing is, we lose his rights soon, no? So we risk losing him if we don't sign him, but he may not want to sign if he doesn't have a guaranteed roster spot.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers aren't losing the rights to the player for a while. There is no transfer agreement in place with the KHL. Have some patience. Yesterday was the Orthodox Christian Easter.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The Rangers aren't losing the rights to the player for a while. There is no transfer agreement in place with the KHL. Have some patience. Yesterday was the Orthodox Christian Easter.

Are European prospects/KHL prospects/Non-NA prospects not subject to the 4-year rights period that others are subject to?

I was always confused by all that...

I think everyone is just anxious to get this kid signed because he's so exciting. Me included.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Agreed and they've sent reps over to Buch two or three times this season. Of course they're trying to advance the process, hell they thought he was NHL ready this past season. They want him here, and he'll be here. Now it's just a matter of when.

People need to calm down and stop worrying.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Are European prospects/KHL prospects/Non-NA prospects not subject to the 4-year rights period that others are subject to?

I was always confused by all that...

I think everyone is just anxious to get this kid signed because he's so exciting. Me included.

The only NA prospects for which rights are retained for 4 (or more) years are college players. Teams lose the rights to CHL players after 2 years. Actually, they have to make a bonafide offer to the player by the end of the first year in order to retain his rights for the 2nd year.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/a/How-The-Nhl-Draft-Works.htm

European Players - Prior to 2005, NHL teams retained the rights to a European player until that player turned 31. Drafted Europeans must now be signed within two years, the same as North Americans, or the team loses the rights to the player.

This article was last updated on December 16th, 2014, so I assume the information is still accurate.

Regarding KHL players, I thought the 2 year thing didn't apply to them because of the lack of a transfer agreement with the KHL, but I'm not sure about that. I haven't been able to find anything specific about it. I'm sure RangerBoy knows.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
The only NA prospects for which rights are retained for 4 (or more) years are college players. Teams lose the rights to CHL players after 2 years. Actually, they have to make a bonafide offer to the player by the end of the first year in order to retain his rights for the 2nd year.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/prospects/a/How-The-Nhl-Draft-Works.htm

This article was last updated on December 16th, 2014, so I assume the information is still accurate.

Regarding KHL players, I thought the 2 year thing didn't apply to them because of the lack of a transfer agreement with the KHL, but I'm not sure about that. I haven't been able to find anything specific about it. I'm sure RangerBoy knows.

Good to know! So many rules!

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Swedes are part of the NHL transfer agreement. The Russians want no part of the agreement. I know there are people on twitter who say something different. The only way to sign a Russian player is if the contract expires. With a player from Sweden,you can pay the already negotiated fee and sign the player already under contract in Sweden. The Islanders selected Petrov in 2008 and they signed him 7 years later. He went back to the KHL on loan and the Islanders have his rights until he is 27.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
this waiting process is gonna drive some here to the edge of the ledge.

hell be signed. soon enough.

he did not want to come over last year to a roster that was pretty well set and a top 4 team returning everyone. there wasnt much room for him last year. and he wanted NO PART OF HARTFORD.

news flash. nothings changed with that last thing. but, he's 1 yr older and stronger and better hockey player. and, most importantly, this team is a hot mess right now.

hes not looking for a guaranteed spot. I'm sure he wants to earn a spot and I'm sure expects to do so.

the odds of being sent to syberia.....er.... hartford are less by alot.

he played his cards right. in fact, perfectly.

* this team NEEDS him now. last year not so much.

* this team is a mess now. last year, nope.

* theres a real possibility there will be no rick nash in sept. lots of nash last year still- unfortunately.

* there may not be any estaal, d moore, kevin hayes and perhaps even chris kreider. spots are avail.

the landscape has change alot since last camp. buchnevich played his cards perfectly. there is both a need and spot for him now.

things went perfectly. hell be here in sept. to claim....er....earn his spot. :laugh: no worries.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Defected player status. The NHLPA tried to have the Russian guys declared free agents if they had not signed with their draft teams. The NHL won the case. That was in 2008 and nothing has really changed. There's no transfer agreement.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I consider not being able to sign our only bluechip prospect to be a legitimate issue.

Are you seriously considering this as "not being able to sign" Buch? I don't think it's even been 48 hours since his contract with SKA expired.

It's not a legitimate issue. Honestly. Stop panicking. He'll be signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad