Paul MacLean Exit Conference

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Class guy. Worked with what he had, including an aging defensive vet that was signed to a 3 year deal.

What vet would that be?

PS Phillips was signed for two years!

IMO Phillips wasn't/isn't the problem, MacLean playing him in the top pairing over 20 minutes a night was a problem.

The topper was MacLean sitting Cowen and Weircoich while watching Phillips' game come apart at the seams and then rinse and repeat.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Apparently Murray had a problem with Cowen and Wier being benched so much. He believes in working young players through their struggles. Can't help then when asked Cowen said he had no idea why he was being benched lol

Kanata

Oct 16, 2014
Apparently Murray had a problem with Cowen and Wier being benched so much. He believes in working young players through their struggles. Can't help then when asked Cowen said he had no idea why he was being benched lol

Yet the time out helped Cowen no end.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I'm still a Maclean guy.

Still hate that this team gave up on a good coach. He's not the next incarnation of Scotty Bowman or anything, but he was the right fit for a low-budget team, a young team. I maintained a week ago that this team wasn't good enough to compete without giving 100% on the ice (we're just not talented enough - we're getting there, but aren't there yet), I still believe that, but Maclean should have been that guy who was able to get that out of them. I have doubts about Cameron's ability to do the same.

Some team is going to hire him, and make us look like fools.

Scotty bowman may have never amounted to anything had his first coaching gig been the 2011-2014 sens.

Coaches impact on the game is really fuzzy.

Mike babcocks never been at the helm of a bad team.

Some say Dallas Eakins is a bad coach. Well, Edmonton hired him because the word around him that he was a very good coach.

Some situations will not breed a good coach, even if the coach is good.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's going to be really hard to find a fan that looks like Cameron in the stands behind the bench! :sarcasm:

Now see...if we hire Torts, we could just recruit Henry Winkler to sit behind the bench. Or steal that big cardboard Torts cutout they have in Winnipeg.

Kanata

Oct 16, 2014
Is Cameron the one with those transition glasses that constantly look light brown?

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Maclean learned everything he knows about coaching in the NHL from Mike Babcock, a proven winner in this league. Babcock leans hard on his veteran players - his best players - and demands a lot from them. Maclean tried to do the same with this team, but his veteran players are not the best players and the best players apparently don't like to be pushed. Right now we've got a bunch of children on this team who need their hands held by the head coach. It doesn't bode we'll for us but I'm confident that with a veteran team, maclean can win a cup.

Thanks for the good times Paul, I will never forget that series against Montreal for as long as I live

It actually worked in 2011-12 when Spezza, Alfie, Milan carried the team offensively. You had vets like Neil, Phillips, Gonchar and Kuba playing in their position, a stable net minder in Andy and character guys like Konopka and Carkner. That season which is IMO the most exciting season as a sensfan ever was all because of the leadership group taking control. The young players succeeding were just bonus including a young Karlsson scoring 78pts.

Our leadership group today is composed of guys who have never been put in this position. Alfie and Spezza are gone, Milan is old and beat up, Philips plays too much and as much as people were critical of Kuba and Gonchar, they were very helpful in their role of mentors for Karlsson and Cowen. Now everybody is playing out of their position.

Yet the time out helped Cowen no end.

I was fine with the first time he was scratched for a few games, he did not deserved to be scratched against the Islanders and Pittsburgh.

One of my biggest problem with PM was the fact that he wasn't following what he always said. "The best players play." Some of it is probably coming from upstairs but he did not always reward/punish players on their play.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I'm curious. Why do people love MacLean so much? I liked him when the team looked good but i became indifferent to him last year and started to think he was an actual problem this year seeing no improvement in players and falling into the same ideas he had last year. I see zero reason for him to have a Jack Adams and imo he proved he didnt deserve it even further when he failed to coach a superior roster and alienate multiple players and didnt take input well.

stevrock

Jun 9, 2013
Scotty bowman may have never amounted to anything had his first coaching gig been the 2011-2014 sens.

Coaches impact on the game is really fuzzy.

Mike babcocks never been at the helm of a bad team.

Some say Dallas Eakins is a bad coach. Well, Edmonton hired him because the word around him that he was a very good coach.

Some situations will not breed a good coach, even if the coach is good.

Yet he was "the guy" when he was hired.
they were turning the corner, and that beautiful Silver cup was within reach.

Barely more than a season in, everybosy is ****** that they fired krueger.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I'm still a Maclean guy.

Still hate that this team gave up on a good coach. He's not the next incarnation of Scotty Bowman or anything, but he was the right fit for a low-budget team, a young team. I maintained a week ago that this team wasn't good enough to compete without giving 100% on the ice (we're just not talented enough - we're getting there, but aren't there yet), I still believe that, but Maclean should have been that guy who was able to get that out of them. I have doubts about Cameron's ability to do the same.

Some team is going to hire him, and make us look like fools.

Completely agree. Someone else posted it earlier (might have been you) Maclean will win a cup before Ottawa.

Murray/Melynk botch the whole Alfie/Spezza issue then blame it on Maclean.

Lost two captains and two of the greats of this franchise, but it's Macleans fault the team didn't perform 20 games into the season.

This team is brand new team with Karlsson becoming captain, Legwand coming in, all the new kids. You have to give a coach more than 25 games.

ESPECIALLY when you see the schedule we we're up against so far this year. I just looked up the numbers..it was a brutal opening to the year.

W/L against teams in playoff spots: 5-10-4

W/L against teams out of playoffs: 6-1-1

So we've been dominating the teams lower than us and hanging around with the big boys. Looks to me like a team that will battle until the end for a 7/8 spot.

We haven't even had a chance to play more of the bottom feeders.

0 GP vs BUF
0 GP vs CAR
0 GP vs PHI

0 GP vs ARZ
0 GP vs DAL

I honestly don't know how a competent GM can look at the circumstances and the schedule to to open the season (This has got to be one of the toughest stretches all year) and then decide that it's the coach that is the problem.

Either Murray has actually lost his mind or something else is going on.

Is Cameron the one with those transition glasses that constantly look light brown?

yup.

:shakehead

edit:

Just ran the numbers for Toronto

7-6-1 vs teams in the playoffs

8-3-1 vs teams out of the playoffs

Only 14 GP vs playoff teams vs Ottawa who has had 19 against top teams.

12 GP vs non-playoff teams vs Ottawa who has had only 8 against the bottom feeders.

So they've had 4 easier games and we've had 5 harder games.

And we're only 4 points back.

Jesus.

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Completely agree. Someone else posted it earlier (might have been you) Maclean will win a cup before Ottawa.

I don't think I've read/heard or seen Melnyk nor Murray blaming the loss of our recent 2 captains on MacLean.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I'm curious. Why do people love MacLean so much? I liked him when the team looked good but i became indifferent to him last year and started to think he was an actual problem this year seeing no improvement in players and falling into the same ideas he had last year. I see zero reason for him to have a Jack Adams and imo he proved he didnt deserve it even further when he failed to coach a superior roster and alienate multiple players and didnt take input well.

This

He ALWAYS said we were inconsistent
Even in his interview today
And sait it wasnt about talent

Well guess what???

if its not about talent then maybe its the coach job to make sure the players are ready and play hard most of the games

Maybe

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Lost two captains and two of the greats of this franchise, but it's Macleans fault the team didn't perform 20 games into the season.

This team is brand new team with Karlsson becoming captain, Legwand coming in, all the new kids. You have to give a coach more than 25 games.

ESPECIALLY when you see the schedule we we're up against so far this year. I just looked up the numbers..it was a brutal opening to the year.

W/L against teams in playoff spots: 5-10-4

W/L against teams out of playoffs: 6-1-1

So we've been dominating the teams lower than us and hanging around with the big boys. Looks to me like a team that will battle until the end for a 7/8 spot.

We haven't even had a chance to play more of the bottom feeders.

0 GP vs BUF
0 GP vs CAR
0 GP vs PHI

0 GP vs ARZ
0 GP vs DAL

I honestly don't know how a competent GM can look at the circumstances and the schedule to to open the season (This has got to be one of the toughest stretches all year) and then decide that it's the coach that is the problem.

Either Murray has actually lost his mind or something else is going on.

yup.

:shakehead

Well the defense has looked like garbage for three years and Murray stressed that the chances against were unacceptable. I know i for one would have fired the coach if the defense looked terrible 3 years in a row. Hell the devils played defensive hockey with below average talent for years and won a cup. That game against florida.... was possbily the worst defense ive ever seen. Then the next game against tampa the exact same thing happens.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I don't think I've read/heard or seen Melnyk nor Murray blaming the loss of our recent 2 captains on MacLean.

I didn't mean directly. I meant by firing him yesterday they're in effect placing the blame on Macleans shoulders.

This

He ALWAYS said we were inconsistent
Even in his interview today
And sait it wasnt about talent

Well guess what???

if its not about talent then maybe its the coach job to make sure the players are ready and play hard most of the games

Maybe

C'Mon man.

He's not going to line-up in the Sens press room and start ripping the team.

Everyone in the league knows this teams has holes.

Well the defense has looked like garbage for three years and Murray stressed that the chances against were unacceptable. I know i for one would have fired the coach if the defense looked terrible 3 years in a row. Hell the devils played defensive hockey with below average talent for years and won a cup. That game against florida.... was possbily the worst defense ive ever seen. Then the next game against tampa the exact same thing happens.

Too much turmoil with the team IMO. We lost 2 captains and 2 of the most skilled players to ever pull on a sens jersey in two years.

Combined with inexperienced guys playing to see what we have.

Look @ the record. We dominate teams lower than us and stay in the game with teams above us.

The Florida game was terrible I agree.

IMO the team just doesn't want to play defensively. We've seen spurts of what this team can do. Just never consistently.

Right now they just don't have what it takes to win, we'll see if they can mature.

Kind of reminds me of Gretzky seeing the Islanders all cut and bruised after winning the stanley cup when his team didn't even have a scratch on them. The Sens need to have that kind of eye-opening moment.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Paul Maclean is a man's man who swigs whiskey straight from the bottle.

Dave Cameron takes me as an appletini guy...

Dude, why are you so high on MacLean and so down on Cameron? They were BOTH coaching this team into mediocrity but one was in charge. Did Dave run over your dog or something?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Dude, why are you so high on MacLean and so down on Cameron? They were BOTH coaching this team into mediocrity but one was in charge. Did Dave run over your dog or something?

You're right, I should totally support the guy who was a part of the coaching staff that was blamed for the team's play who is nothing more than a pawn of Eugene Melynk.

He's an average junior coach who failed spectacularly not only with Team Canada but with our farm club. So yeah, he was clearly the best option to coach our team. Such an extensive search too. Um, is Like Richardson free? No? Then let's lock in Dave!

Buckle up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad